cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Location for MaxxAir Covers?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 35' bunkhouse with 4 vent locations. There is a vent in the front bedroom, one in the main cabin, and a third in the rear bunkhouse. The fourth is a fantastic fan in the bathroom.

I've picked up 2 MaxxAir covers and am trying to decide where to mount them. I will put one in the rear bunkhouse. I can't decide if the other should go in the main cabin or the front bedroom. I'd like to put it up front so that the cross-ventilation covers the entire rig, but I'm worried that the bedroom wall would interrupt too much of the flow (air could only flow through the two door). If I put it mid-cabin, however, the bedroom won't get any of the ventilation flow. I don't want to cover every vent, so I want to keep it to just the two (at least for now).

So, thoughts? Where would you locate them?
16 REPLIES 16

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talked to a insurance adjuster one day about possible roof damage from a storm. He referred to them as "hail guards". Makes good sense to have them on all. The white ones let in a lot of light.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Wiscampsin wrote:
so every time someone uses the toilet when its running, it sucks the stink right from the black tank when the toilet is flushed.

That's the problem. Turn the fan off when using the toilet. Turn it back on after flushing only after the flapper is closed.

If I didn't have 3 kids that seemed impossible to train in this area, I would - but no such luck! Believe me, we tried. They always forget.

Exactly why you should cover all the vents. so you don't have to try to figure out which kid left the vent open whenever you open the trailer door and find the floor and everything around the vent soaked.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Cover all of them. The original vent lids have short lives if not covered.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
I don't want to cover every vent,

Why don't you want to cover every vent? Surely not the cost of the covers?
The simple solution is to get 2 more covers. If money is the issue use the 2 you have in your most used locations and save up for 2 more.

No - it's a matter of blocking out the sunlight. I want to put a couple in to be able to travel with the air flowing and try to reduce the 'hotbox' factor when we arrive. That said, we like having the daylight come through from above, and I'm reluctant to cover all of the fans.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Wiscampsin wrote:
so every time someone uses the toilet when its running, it sucks the stink right from the black tank when the toilet is flushed.

That's the problem. Turn the fan off when using the toilet. Turn it back on after flushing only after the flapper is closed.

If I didn't have 3 kids that seemed impossible to train in this area, I would - but no such luck! Believe me, we tried. They always forget.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
I don't want to cover every vent,

Why don't you want to cover every vent? Surely not the cost of the covers?
The simple solution is to get 2 more covers. If money is the issue use the 2 you have in your most used locations and save up for 2 more.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The original vent covers don't hold up - the sun destroys them in short order. Save yourself some grief and put covers over all the vents. Like has been said, they're cheap - and a lot cheaper than opening up your RV only to find the vent cover cracked open and let the rain in while it was in storage. Many RVs are ruined with this scenario and it happens way too often.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Covers are cheap

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
WILDTOAD x 2

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to cover the Fantastic Fan vent you should get the cover made for the fan. It provides more venting area than the standard covers. I believe Maxair still handles them.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If only going for 2 I would put them on the ones that you open the most often.If not then get another one :B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. Buy two more.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
put it over the Fantastic fan so you can run it when it rains.

Unfortunately, we don't run our fantastic fan much. It was installed in the bathroom (right above the toilet), so every time someone uses the toilet when its running, it sucks the stink right from the black tank when the toilet is flushed.