cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cab-over bunk step up.... What do you do?

Fineoceanparker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sum what new to rv's so forgive me. It seams to me to get in and out of the cab-over bunk one has to step on the back of the bench seat ( in my layout ). My thought is ( and seams to be happening ) that the fabric covered strip of wood that the bench cushion tucks under is flimsy and may fail. I was wonder if anyone has reinforced this area or has a better spot or way to get in. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
If the back of the dinette seat is supposed to be a step hen it is not a sturdy one. Thankfully I purchased a hook on ladder from a discount bin a long time ago nd hang it on the wall with hooks when in transit. The back of the dinette seat broke and I took it apart for repair. It is built from 1X2 lumber and broke from the driver seat pressing against it.

I salvaged the cover panel and the fabric covered top and trashed the rest. I rebuilt the back out of 3/4 inch plywood doubled up and glues together. I used the cover panel as a template and cut the radius. Then I used 2X2 lumber to rebuild the seat base where the back and base met to form the seat bottom. Then I used 1/4 inch bolts to secure the top fabric cover to the seat back with the original brackets.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

eddard49
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 grandkids that love that bunk, and I had the same concerns. The step point was already getting "flexy", so a cut a 2" piece of 2" angle iron and used 3 screws to install it inside the step point. It's not visible (unless you are looking for it), and that step point is absolutely stable now.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
On Amazon.com I found a 6' unfinished bunk-bed ladder
with top hooks. I finished it to match the other wood.
When not in use it goes flat down back on the bunk and
also rides that way.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 6 foot wood step ladder and discarded the back part, cut the front to the correct size for my RV cabover used the discarded parts to construct the support for the upper part where it rests on the bunk and purchased a couple of sliding door locks to secure the ladder to the bunk so that it will not move.

navegator

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Read your owners manual, it should shed some light on the situation.

Mine say that the back of the dinette is in fact the proper way to do it. That's why it's a fabric-cover bit of wood. The fabric prevents slipping and the lack of cushion makes a solid step.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
our coach came with a nice (sturdy) OAK ladder - I've seen some class c's that had telescoping (flimsy?) aluminum ladders.

more often than not, our kids (and i) stand on the (leather) couch, then step on the arm of the couch to get to the cab over bunk.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)