cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealers Screwed Holes in The Roof - HELP

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
My astute dealer installed Max Air Vents on my new travel trailer. Rather than attaching them to the metal lipping on the vent, the tech shot 'self-tapping' screws through the rubber roof - 16 screws total, without any caulking.

I went on the roof this morning, backed out the screws, applied some self-leveling caulk. A couple of the screws stripped.

I don't think this is going to leak, but I am not 100% certain. I am concerned that if I cover the top of the self-tapping screws, with the caulk, the indentation in the top of the screw is so small, I might never be able to remove the screw.

So, should I take screws out and just fill the holes with the self-leveling caulk? And then adhere the Max Vent to the metal lipping, as should have been done? Or leave as is?

Any help you can offer will be appreciated.
Charles
30 REPLIES 30

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Could you apply strips of Eternabond over screw holes and then attach the vent properly?

Ask the dealer for enough E/bond to repair their screw up.

I would definitely let them know you're not happy with their poor installation.

And, you can post your experience on RVServicereviews.com

(I still didn't figure out how to make a link on a Kindle)

http://www.rvservicereviews.com/
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
I can relate, as I also had a dealer put 12 holes in my roof as well doing the same thing. I voiced my disapproval to the dealership AND wrote Maxxair telling them who/which the culprit dealership was. They (Maxxair) sent me the 'clips' for authorized attachment AND said that they were responding to the dealership by sending instructions on installing. Sometimes I wonder where these technicians/installers come from......not everything is QUICK AND EASY, at least it should not be.
The only thing the dealer offered was a ONE TIME ONLY water/leak test.......which I declined.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
12th Man Fan wrote:
If they used self tapping metal screws, I would replace them with wood screws. Use plenty of dicore.

I am a little lost on this thought, very hard to find pan or round head "Wood Screws". Using flat head screws to secure bracket is not best practice. If it were me I would get some shorter 3/4" to 1" hex head screws same as used to secure 99 percent of the trim on RV's.

I would also use "enough" Dicor, not plenty as that usually ends up with a mess.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
If they used self tapping metal screws, I would replace them with wood screws. Use plenty of dicore.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Chaz59 wrote:
Thanks guys, but the dealer does not care, so I hate to take it back there.
Can I put dicor over the eternabond, the dicor is very bumpy, so the tape may not lay down.
Whats the easiest way to to get the dicor up.

never buy from a dealer with bad reviews, just because the price is great...live and learn, I should be smart by now..lol

Dicor, screws, Dicor. You really don't need to do anything else! You have done the right thing and you should not let this haunt you.

X2
Been following this post, and WOW talk about a lot of freaking over a simple matter.Look at your roof the next time you are up there, likely on a 30' to 32' unit 50 to 100 screws holding stuff down.

All covered with Dicor, and well sealed. That and the vent covers prevent direct rain getting on those screws.

How many of those stating OMG have solar on your roof??

Yes, shame on the dealer for not sealing at all, but the fix is simple.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I always used Max Aire vents. This time I bought a Fantastic vent cover which I am returning for a MaxAire because they want you to remove screws covered with sealer and drill for bigger screws. No way.
toolmaker

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Could you apply strips of Eternabond over screw holes and then attach the vent properly?

Ask the dealer for enough E/bond to repair their screw up.

I would definitely let them know you're not happy with their poor installation.

This makes the most sense of all. Re do it correctly and repair the holes (correctly).

If you are capable of getting on the roof, and have enough tools to remove the screws, you have the ability to install the vents, per the instructions. I would not let that shop touch it ever again.

I am a total DIY'er and always have been. Mounting of tires on rims, front end alignments, thats as close as anyone ever gets to anything I own.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chaz59 wrote:
Can I put dicor over the eternabond, the dicor is very bumpy, so the tape may not lay down.

never buy from a dealer with bad reviews, just because the price is great...live and learn, I should be smart by now..lol

Dicor, screws, Dicor. You really don't need to do anything else! You have done the right thing and you should not let this haunt you.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chaz59 wrote:
Is four inch eternabond the standard size I should use for a vent?
thanks

That is what I would (and did) use. ๐Ÿ™‚
I purchased two rolls from this place. They had the best prices when I was shopping for it.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
Is four inch eternabond the standard size I should use for a vent?
thanks
Charles

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer

Charles

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for posting this issue. From a personal stand point, we are having three covers install on our new fifthwheel. That item is going to the top of the list during the pdi.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have stated, I would use Eternabond strips to seal up the holes. I would at least take pictures and send them to the dealer along with a polite but detailed description of your complaints. I would demand a full refund of money paid for the cover AND installation and use that money to pay for the Eternabond strips.

Incidents like this are why I tend to do the majority of my simple projects myself. That way I have nobody to blame but myself.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen them installed same way as well. Would definitely complain to dealer.

I would pull them, install correctly, and eternabond the holes.

And I bet they tossed the rest of the hardware...
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow