cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY awning

plumberdad70
Explorer
Explorer
has any one ever attempted to make an awning for a TT? did a search and come up empty
1997 Ford E-350 XLT 15 passenger
2000 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2602
19 REPLIES 19

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
westend wrote:
I don't want a plastic tarp, I've camped a few nights in wind with a semi-permanent installation and the racket is merciless.

FYI:
An awning isn't much quieter "in wind". But most folks close them in such conditions anyway, and it's certainly easier to do that with yer standard roll up type.
That, I believe. There is just a real deep stubborn streak in this old Swede that is resisting the installation of a roller system.
I'm not all about "keeping it vintage" but I think a roller-less awning might be more fitting. I haven't chiseled anything in stone, yet.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
From working on mine I found that a well stocked RV dealer has a good supply of RV awning parts. Including the odd sliders. I think almost all awnings are A&E brand (Dometic).
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I don't want a plastic tarp, I've camped a few nights in wind with a semi-permanent installation and the racket is merciless.

FYI:
An awning isn't much quieter "in wind". But most folks close them in such conditions anyway, and it's certainly easier to do that with yer standard roll up type.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Tarkin75 wrote:
Check the truck camper forum... "truck camper university" I think it is.

You can get some "awning rail" attach it to the side of your camper, and follow the rest of the directions there using a standard plastic tarp. I picked up my awning rail from brunner enterprises in New York, bing will get their URL (brunnerent.com I think) for you. Going to just screw it only my camper with some sealant, etc, and use "sail slides" to attach the tarp to the awning rail. Use some aluminum poles for the stays, etc, and you're good to go.

you can get sail slides pretty cheap from sailrite.com.

Later
C
Awesome, this is just what I want to do. Thanks for posting!

I'm finding it may be cheaper to just outright buy an awning on E Bay than try to fabricate one, using awning material. I don't want a plastic tarp, I've camped a few nights in wind with a semi-permanent installation and the racket is merciless.

Edit: Did you use something like these Slug bails to run in the Awning rail or is there a full length piece that can be sewn into a welt?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, long ago when I camped in RENTAL pop-ups...

A guy I was camped with had the awning on his MH blow out. After helping replace it I salvaged a piece and, using PVC pipe, rope, stakes, duct tape and other common stuff, whupped up an awning right there in the campground. It was NICE to have ๐Ÿ™‚

Used it for a few more years on the rental units.
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
I'd just use a tarp, poles and rope.

Agreed, especially for a $1K trailer. Everything is relative. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Agreed. My sister and her boyfriend received a free camper from my aunt that was missing its awning. He worked at a sign shop at the time and was able to get some huge cloth signs. That was their redneck awning all last year and this year alike.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

Agreed, especially for a $1K trailer. Everything is relative. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Tarkin75
Explorer
Explorer
Check the truck camper forum... "truck camper university" I think it is.

You can get some "awning rail" attach it to the side of your camper, and follow the rest of the directions there using a standard plastic tarp. I picked up my awning rail from brunner enterprises in New York, bing will get their URL (brunnerent.com I think) for you. Going to just screw it only my camper with some sealant, etc, and use "sail slides" to attach the tarp to the awning rail. Use some aluminum poles for the stays, etc, and you're good to go.

you can get sail slides pretty cheap from sailrite.com.

Later
C

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a shade canopy from Walmart or any outdoor store for $75 - $150. Use it with the trailer or without the trailer. That is what we do with the Aliner, the factory awning is $300+, hard to use, and very tiny.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ereed52
Explorer
Explorer

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
DIY http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/build-your-own-canopy.html

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

That's what I did until I broke down and bought the pulldown. And carried it all right on the awning rail. I bought one of those cheapo "shelters" like the one at this link. It comes with stakes and poles of course- and take my word for it, you'll see them on sale pretty soon for about thirty bucks.

To attach, and assuming you too have an awning rail already on the trailer:
I just used a piece of spline through the rail/tarp to hold the fabric on, then rolled the legs etc. up inside that and tied the bundle off when underway.

Worked great!

I do like the convenience of the pulldown I have now, BUT now that I think of it:

I had a lot more shaded room with that old arrangement- my present tiny trailer can only accommodate about a 9X7 pulldown, but the more cumbersome homemade one gave me 12x12!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Why not get a stand alone canopy and you can use it anyplace or with any RV you get in the future.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)