cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fireplace removal and repurposing space

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone removed the Factory installed RV fireplace and repurposed the space? I donโ€™t see is using it much. I was considering removing it and building an insert that will house and obscure cat litter box, lined with waterproof paneling, hinged front door, small pet doors for entry.

Thoughts?
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW
19 REPLIES 19

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Dang I wish mine had a fireplace and you want to remove yours ?

I am surprised at how often we use our fireplace and how well it heats our 40' TT. I thought it was just a gimmicky feature, but it gets a lot of use the first month or so of the season. The space behind the fireplace (about 35% of the TT), which includes the master bedroom, takes longer to heat up, but the space that faces the fireplace warms up pretty well. Enough that we don't use the furnace unless it gets below 40 degrees at night.

Our fireplace is thermostatically controlled. We usually set it to 70 degrees at night and it turns on and off as needed. I am happy to sacrifice a little warmth not to be woken up by the darn furnace every time it fires up.

Perhaps the OP has more space behind their fireplace, but if we were to remove ours, we wouldn't gain much of a cabinet at all. In our TT, the central vacuum canister is to the right of the fireplace and the furnace is to the left. The mantle on top of the fireplace isn't even 1 foot deep, so the cabinet is probably 10 - 11 inches deep at most.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
a64armt wrote:
Has anyone removed the Factory installed RV fireplace and repurposed the space? I donโ€™t see is using it much. I was considering removing it and building an insert that will house and obscure cat litter box, lined with waterproof paneling, hinged front door, small pet doors for entry.

Thoughts?

Dang I wish mine had a fireplace and you want to remove yours ?

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is in a cabinet counter depth, so if it was put on a hinge you'd have the best of both worlds. Lots of room for the cat while open, and hidden the rest of the time. I'd make a secret passage for the cat and only open it to clean.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
An electric fireplace is nothing more than a built-in electric space heater in a fancy cabinet. From the point of view of utility, the space heater would do exactly the same thing, exactly as effectively; but of course it doesn't provide the same sort of cheery ambiance that even a simualated fire brings.

Personally, I'd take the room for other things in my own RV over having a fireplace and use a portable heater. That's just me; there's no one right or wrong answer to that query. It should be pretty straightforward to remove a fireplace and repuprose the space for something else. The space likely isn't all that deep, though; fitting a cat litter box in is probably out of the question (at least without it projecting a good bit into the room).

On our Mountaineer the fireplace was a option, Ours did not come with it, so we have a cabinet. It has the 15 amp outlet for the fireplace in side. Like others have said it is not very deep. We keep our space heaters in there, and use the outlet for 1 of them.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
wgriswold wrote:
DrewE wrote:

If I had an actual woodburning fireplace in my RV, or even a little wood stove, I'd be very hard pressed to give that up. That's a hypothetical situiaton however.

There are small wood burning stoves made for boats that could be installed in a trailer. Years ago I saw an ad for one that burned pieces of wood that looked like popcicle sticks.

There are indeed. I would have to rearrange my motorhome's interior quite a bit to find room to put one in, though; and presumably also take a good bit of care to ensure that it's not too much of a fire hazard. It's tempting, but more work (and money) than I care to expend.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just finished up replacing a love seat with an electric fireplace and a telescoping tv lift.

We used a portable e f often so now itโ€™s built in.

If you do take it out you should do it so you can put it back in for resale.
Itโ€™s a desired feature for most people.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
wgriswold wrote:
DrewE wrote:

If I had an actual woodburning fireplace in my RV, or even a little wood stove, I'd be very hard pressed to give that up. That's a hypothetical situiaton however.

There are small wood burning stoves made for boats that could be installed in a trailer. Years ago I saw an ad for one that burned pieces of wood that looked like popcicle sticks.

Small wall mount pellet stoves comes to mind. They can be easily vented outside.
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
An electric fireplace is nothing more than a built-in electric space heater in a fancy cabinet. From the point of view of utility, the space heater would do exactly the same thing, exactly as effectively; but of course it doesn't provide the same sort of cheery ambiance that even a simualated fire brings.

Personally, I'd take the room for other things in my own RV over having a fireplace and use a portable heater. That's just me; there's no one right or wrong answer to that query. It should be pretty straightforward to remove a fireplace and repuprose the space for something else. The space likely isn't all that deep, though; fitting a cat litter box in is probably out of the question (at least without it projecting a good bit into the room).

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this is what you think you want to do go ahead and do it before you use the fireplace. If not you never will. We use ours all the time winter camping. I installed it myself and have installed three others for friends after they spent time in my camper.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We also winter in Florida in out mh. We don't have room for an electric fireplace, so I put a toe-kick heater in. Wired to the same circuit as the AC. It has it's own t-stat.
Works a lot better than a portable, always in the way, heater. And works a LOT better.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We use our fireplace almost daily when wintering in Florida. To remove the morning chill, and during cold spells. Saves on propane. We have pulled ours out to change the light bulbs, so removing it is easy. Remove the trim, unscrew all the screws, unplug and it comes right out. The space isnโ€™t that wide, however. I would think repurposing it would be fairly simple.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I never realized how much we use our fireplace until we had one. Our fireplace is pretty shallow as in maybe 8 inches without much space behind it. So for us it wouldn't be worth removing it even if we wanted to.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our Cougar without the fireplace. I added 3 shelves in the cabinet and turned it into a canned food pantry. It works great and really holds a large number of cans.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900