cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FIXED: Bed Lift too weak after 4" Gel Mattress topper add

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
RECOMMENDED:Click here for pair Suspa 20" 120# Gas Props $25 shipped free Amazon

BACKGROUND:Traded the TT for a new 2016 FR Wildcat. The mattress was super nice with a cushion top BUT.. we missed the 4" Gel topper we had in the TT. The topper came from Sam's club for $99 and even with a new cushion top mattress, when we added the 4" Gel top...ahhhh..sleep was wonderful BUT...the bed was now so heavy that the gas shocks couldn't lift it and it took 2 of us to put in or take things out from the underbed storage.

SOLUTION: FR uses 80# gas pressure shocks and it turns out that replacing those with a higher pressure shock could be done without having to replace the ball-type brackets. We found the best deal on these 120# replacement shocks and now the wife can lift the bed up (and it stays up) with one hand.

We considered 150# shocks but read somewhere that they might be too hard to close so we went with the 120#. Also, I was concerned that the existing brackets might be over taxed so during the installation, I loosened the brackets and applied Gorilla Super Gel (sparingly is enough) and then retightened. Let it dry and with a simple click-release-swap we pulled off the 80# and put the 120#ers in their same place. Its been 3 months and about 35 camping days since the swap out and I'm glad to report this change was a huge success.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States
8 REPLIES 8

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
I just moved the top socket a couple of inches and everything worked just great! Cannot remember if it was out or in.

Out would give mor leverage (lift), but shorten the height when open.
RVing since 1995.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the same problem when my wife added the memory foam topper. I moved the bottom bracket about an 1.5 ins fwd and reinforced the attach points. I works good now. Also made a wood I beam under the partial board base to correct the mattress sagging. I thought it was the mattress at first before I noticed the board was bowed.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Same problem here, replaced the mattress and added a topper & was afraid to put heavier shocks so I keep a stick and raise the bed with 2 hands & get wife to place a precut rod to hold it up. May have to look into your answer.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Nice work!
I have exactly the same problem in my TT. I have to pull hard and shoulder it to get it up there and then hold it open. I replaced the mattress and bought a heavy topper too.
I considered heavier cylinders but was concerned about the existing wood framework giving out.
I'll try what you outlined here.
Thanks for sharing.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I just moved the top socket a couple of inches and everything worked just great! Cannot remember if it was out or in.
cpaulsen

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
RECOMMENDED:Click here for pair Suspa 20" 120# Gas Props $25 shipped free Amazon

BACKGROUND:Traded the TT for a new 2016 FR Wildcat. The mattress was super nice with a cushion top BUT.. we missed the 4" Gel topper we had in the TT. The topper came from Sam's club for $99 and even with a new cushion top mattress, when we added the 4" Gel top...ahhhh..sleep was wonderful BUT...the bed was now so heavy that the gas shocks couldn't lift it and it took 2 of us to put in or take things out from the underbed storage.

SOLUTION: FR uses 80# gas pressure shocks and it turns out that replacing those with a higher pressure shock could be done without having to replace the ball-type brackets. We found the best deal on these 120# replacement shocks and now the wife can lift the bed up (and it stays up) with one hand.

We considered 150# shocks but read somewhere that they might be too hard to close so we went with the 120#. Also, I was concerned that the existing brackets might be over taxed so during the installation, I loosened the brackets and applied Gorilla Super Gel (sparingly is enough) and then retightened. Let it dry and with a simple click-release-swap we pulled off the 80# and put the 120#ers in their same place. Its been 3 months and about 35 camping days since the swap out and I'm glad to report this change was a huge success.

Thanks for the info as I need for my TT
samsontdog:o:W

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace mine after adding an additional mattress to make it easier for my wife (limited mobility) to get out of bed.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

MrWizard
nicely done :C
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s