cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furrion 30Amp plug kit

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
I did a plug conversion on my TT and wanted to share the video to maybe help others.
I ordered it from Furrion direct and it was $80 shipped.

If you are doing this and have any questions I would be happy to help.
It was windy, so may have bad audio.

Furrion Video
13 REPLIES 13

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Furrion and have been very happy, they were the only ones with a black receptacle to match my trailer at the time.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our KZ TT came with a Conntek cord and fittings. The threaded collar is awful and hard to thread on. Never use it and it's a spare stored inside. We use a Marinco (Park Power) 30 amp cord we already had which has a 1/4-turn locking ring and it fits the Conntek inlet fitting. The 1/4-turn ring locks quickly and easily into place. (It's actually a bit less than 1/4 turn). You can buy just the Park Power locking rings but can't remember if it slips over the plug end of the cord.

Another solution would be to get a Park Power right angle adapter pigtail with the 1/4-turn ring.

SJR
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
SJR wrote:
The marinco plugs will screw right into the furion.

I'm surprised, as the diameter of the Furrion female 30 amp connector is slightly smaller (41.5 mm) than the diameter of the Marinco female 30 amp (45.5 mm) ... so if the female Furrion properly fits the Furrion male mounted on the trailer then logically the Marinco would be too big to fit. :h

I made a 6 foot cord with marinco connectors to plug into my previous trailer while parked in my driveway. The cord fits perfectly with the furrion plug on my new trailer. I use the screw on coller.
Stephan
2010 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab
2003 Northstar TC800EC
2016 Rockwood Roo 21ss
Equalizer Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SJR wrote:
The marinco plugs will screw right into the furion.

I'm surprised, as the diameter of the Furrion female 30 amp connector is slightly smaller (41.5 mm) than the diameter of the Marinco female 30 amp (45.5 mm) ... so if the female Furrion properly fits the Furrion male mounted on the trailer then logically the Marinco would be too big to fit. :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I just hate the twist-lock plugs, the dragging out of the entire roll of wire, the stupid locking ring and wasted space. I just put in a larger locking hatch to take care of any knotting issues.

It's not the size of the hatch I've ever had difficulty with but the lack of space behind it that the manufacturer provided for storing 25' of knotted up, stiff 10 gauge cable. With several of the trailers we've owned, before I got around to installing the Marinco, I cut the main service cable back in length so it was just long enough to reach out through the existing hatch to a covered area outside the trailer where the connection to an extension would be protected from the elements. With our popups that was under the rear bed platform, with our current Coachmen that was the wheel well under the slide ... but I still much prefer the detachable Marinco setup. 🙂

SJR
Explorer
Explorer
I've done the marinco mode to 3 campers, no complaints about the quality of marinco. My current camper came with a furrion plug installed. The marinco plugs will screw right into the furion.
Stephan
2010 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab
2003 Northstar TC800EC
2016 Rockwood Roo 21ss
Equalizer Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
schwartzworld wrote:
Time to replace the twist plugs with this:

http://www.smartplug.com/

Cost is higher but it is safer and easier to use.

NOT INEXPENSIVE is right! :E Thanks for the SmartPlug link but I've never had any issues with my Marinco setup so I think I'll stick with it, the Furrion I'll sell. 😉

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
That is a great idea as well, I have had zero issues as of yet. Keep it plugged in at all times.

schwartzworld
Explorer
Explorer
Time to replace the twist plugs with this:

http://www.smartplug.com/

Cost is higher but it is safer and easier to use.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I just hate the twist-lock plugs, the dragging out of the entire roll of wire, the stupid locking ring and wasted space. I just put in a larger locking hatch to take care of any knotting issues.

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
That is sad to hear. Sorry for the luck

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't looked at your video so I won't comment on your mod but since you mentioned Furrion I have a little story. Last summer we happened to be passing near a Camping World so I dropped in hoping to buy a Marinco 30 amp twist lock female connector, the same one that is supplied with their Park Power Conversion Kit which I've been using for years on several trailers we've owned. All they had in stock was the Furrion 30 amp Retrofit Connector so I bought it anyway, thinking it was about the same as the Marinco. Typically, it was a sealed package so I couldn't really get a good look at it until I got it home and removed it from the packaging, only to realize it just wasn't quite as heavy duty as the Marinco. I built my cable with it anyway but then realized the Furrion locking ring is finely threaded so it not only takes many, many turns to lock it in place but it can also easily cross thread - the Marinco has no threads, just tabs, so securing it in place takes a mere twist of the hand and it's done. The Furrion is now sitting in my workshop looking for another home. 😞