cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I screwed up!

Finder9
Explorer
Explorer
So I was upgrading my bathroom fan and think I reversed the polarity when reinstalling. Now no lights in bathroom. How bad is it?
Are the bulbs blown? Haven't wired up the fan yet. Disgusted over stupid move.
'03 Silverado 2500HD D/A
'08 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
17 REPLIES 17

Finder9
Explorer
Explorer
Uh huh -- the light switches have to be in the on position for the red light next to the fuse to light and show a bad fuse. If you don't turn on the switch the red light will not light. Never knew that.
'03 Silverado 2500HD D/A

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ask this because, well--I know. IS THERE A SWITCH ANYWHERE?

Finder9
Explorer
Explorer
Update:
Chris, you were correct. With the switches on (a load) a red light was on next to the fuse. Replaced same and lights work fine. Figured out what was positive and negative and wired fan. All good.
Thanks again.
Jack
'03 Silverado 2500HD D/A

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
make sure you did not drop a ground
1997 Pursuit class A

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't trust the red lights. For them to work, the circuit has to be pulling current. If you turned the light back off, then looked at the red lights, they won't light up.

Pull each fuse out of the board and test it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Finder9
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I should know all this but when it comes to electrical matters I lose any self confidence I may have had and it's panic time. I'll look at it again today when I get up to the fifth wheel. Can't keep it at home because of my driveway from hell. Thanks again. Nice to know help is close/
'03 Silverado 2500HD D/A

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
BLACK wire should be positive .... WHITE wire should be negative

Bulbs blown (should show dark spots)
Fuse blown...test them don't just look

Reverse wires and see if lights work (UNLESS LEDs....they will blow if reversed polarity)

Connect fan and see of it works..won't hurt it which way wired, will just run in reverse if wiring is backwards
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
On most 12v fuses, the two main metal pieces have a small opening in the plastic over that you can insert the prongs of a multimeter. $3 or free harbor freight multimeter on the ohms or volts setting is fastest way to check fuses. On ohms, just make sure the main dc breaker is off or battery disconnected. With the meter on volts and main dc breaker on/batt hooked up, you just hold one side on ground that all the black wires are connected to, on the red just probe the fuses on each side of the fuse. Test lights makes this extremely fast. On ohms setting a prong is held on each side of the fuse. You are measuring resistance(impedance) 1 indicates blown fuse and 0 indicated good. On vols setting you want 12v+ on the meter or a beep from test light on both holes in fuse.

Correction: Your meter may vary. You may need to remove yhe fuse for testing on ohms. I am not an expert.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Every trip I think the bathroom lights are out until I remember that they are on a wall switch too.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
Never saw a fuse box with a red light, doesn't mean there aren't any. Sometimes you can see one fuse has a broken filament. Best way to check is with a test light.

A short should not have any effect on the bulbs, just pop the fuse in the circuit. That's what fuses are for and there should not be any other damage.

Many of the new fuse panels (like mine) show a red LED next to a blown fuse. You don't want to count on these because they only work if the load is being called for. If you shut the switch off the red light might not come on. Use a test light or a volt meter to know for sure

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Some LED bulbs won't work with polarity reversed, but a regular incandescent should still light.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Never saw a fuse box with a red light, doesn't mean there aren't any. Sometimes you can see one fuse has a broken filament. Best way to check is with a test light.

A short should not have any effect on the bulbs, just pop the fuse in the circuit. That's what fuses are for and there should not be any other damage.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Reversed polarity on a 12 v dc system should only cause the fan to run reverse of the switch indication in an isolated condition. I suspect that grounding by reverse polarity popped your fuse. Shouldn't be any other harm.
Test your wiring for correct polarity.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
All reversing the polarity would do is make the DC fan motor run backwards. Unless you shorted the wires and blew a fuse, it's more likely that you might have a bad connection that's interrupting either the ground or hot wire to the lights. Were there more than two wires at the fan power connections?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate