cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It only took four days...

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
To strip the decals, remove all the left over glue with a scraper and Goof-off, scrub all over with Bar Keeper's Friend, wash all over with Simple Green, and apply 3 coats of Redmax Pro. My stepson helped me the whole 4 days with temps hovering in the 90's, and he never gave up...what a guy. Sorry I don't have before and after pics...envision white with charcoal and burgandy swooshes before, and just plain shiny white after (lol). Removing the left over glue was absolutely the hardest part. Seemed no matter how much you scraped and rubbed with Goof-off there was still some left...finally got it all though and the final outcome was absolutely worth it.
13 REPLIES 13

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
The problem, on horizontal surfaces, I suspect, is the direct sunlight plus water penetration. It simply isn't a robust enough sealant to battle both UV and standing water.

In my grocery store days, we typically did a recoat of the floors every two months. And an entire strip and reapplication once a year.

Floors were burnished (buffed) monthly. And cleaned daily. And you don't want to know how caustic the stripping chemicals were to emulsify and remove.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

PortWentworthSa
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
robatthelake wrote:
Three Years ago I made the mistake of using Red Max Pro on My Motorhome as well as My Vintage Competition Ski Boat!

Never again will I try to take the easy route to restore that Shine!

The Red Max appeared to work miracles and still looked reasonably good on the Vertical surfaces of Both Vehicles after two Years.

However It looks like******and has peeled off All the Horizontal "Decks" and of course the edges that transition to vertical!

The stuff peeled and flaked ,basically to the point that it was necessary to strip off Everything that remained! Applying is way easier than Stripping.

A Warning that this stuff may seem like a miracle ,but isn't intended for Exterior Use and will fail to solve the underlying problem of fading gel coat!

I basically stated the same thing in a thread not too long ago. I worked for a chemical manufacturer and zep was one of our competitors. Everything you say is correct and just as I predicted. It simply isn't made for outdoor exposure, nor is it made to be maintenance free. Burnishing, buffing, recoating - all part of the normal maintenance for these types of products.

I used Re-Max Pro 3 years ago on the sides of my m/h. It sits outside under the Georgia HOT sun. So far, So good. Still shines like a new RV. No cracking, flaking or anything. I applied it on the verticle surfaces only. I think 5 coats.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
Three Years ago I made the mistake of using Red Max Pro on My Motorhome as well as My Vintage Competition Ski Boat!

The Red Max appeared to work miracles and still looked reasonably good on the Vertical surfaces of Both Vehicles after two Years.

However It looks like******and has peeled off All the Horizontal "Decks" and of course the edges that transition to vertical!

The stuff peeled and flaked ,basically to the point that it was necessary to strip off Everything that remained! Applying is way easier than Stripping.

A Warning that this stuff may seem like a miracle ,but isn't intended for Exterior Use and will fail to solve the underlying problem of fading gel coat!

I basically stated the same thing in a thread not too long ago. I worked for a chemical manufacturer and zep was one of our competitors. Everything you say is correct and just as I predicted. It simply isn't made for outdoor exposure, nor is it made to be maintenance free. Burnishing, buffing, recoating - all part of the normal maintenance for these types of products.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
I used to do vinyl work and the best adhesive remover I've found is Rapid Prep. Another option is 90% alcohol in a spray bottle.

I'm going to be replacing the graphics on my trailer with custom vinyl once I have the rest of the work is done and was thinking about making a video. I'll be removing the old, prepping the surface, cutting the new vinyl and installing.

Just remember when doing custom ones that there will be some dis-colorization. It will be bright white under the decals and off white every where else.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to do vinyl work and the best adhesive remover I've found is Rapid Prep. Another option is 90% alcohol in a spray bottle.

I'm going to be replacing the graphics on my trailer with custom vinyl once I have the rest of the work is done and was thinking about making a video. I'll be removing the old, prepping the surface, cutting the new vinyl and installing.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Cool, glad it went well for you. Is Thursday at 2pm good for my appointment? Lol!

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
Mike NW wrote:
Did you do any research on replacement decals? If so, I would be curious to know if you found any. Thanks.

I have a set of replacement decals from Keystone, and I considered replacing them but I was concerned about the same thing happening (peeling and cracking) again so I opted to just leave them off.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I used a heat gun to remove the graphics on the front of our TT. It loosens the glue and removes about 95% of it as you peel the stickers.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
This company is reported to do rv decals:

Link

You'd have to contact them to get more info. Particularly :

glen@debessigns.com

I don't know if the email is still good.

Stop the presses! Here is another company:

Canadian Link

might be a bad link tho it's for a company called nscinc

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mike_NW
Explorer
Explorer
Did you do any research on replacement decals? If so, I would be curious to know if you found any. Thanks.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been contemplating this project... The sun hardened glue stain seems impossible.
Great to hear you had success.

Mike_NW
Explorer
Explorer
Luster Glaze makes a product called Formula XD which is specifically designed to remove glue. Product info can be found online. There are also other products by 3M I believe that are designed to remove glue.