cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Less fuel stops

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
It has always been one of my pet peeves getting fuel in a crowded fuel station and nobody willing to give you an inch to get to the pump. Well today I think I might have solved that problem. I installed this 40 gallons RDS tank and now I have a range of about 900 miles on my rig. Now I will be able to get where I am going and fill the truck without the fiver attached. This is how the install went. I set the new tank inside the truck it fit perfectly. Drilled a couple of holes to hold it down. Before I locked it into place the cramped work began. I had to take the fill spout out and cut a section out so the new valve would fit in place. Then splice it all back together with hose clamps and hose extensions. Man talk about tight. It was like working in the bilges of my boat. With that done I needed to take the hose and drill a couple of holes in the truck bed one for the fuel line to attach to the new fill tube and one for the venting of the tank. This is where the holes were drilled and the tube that connects to the new tank. This shot shows the vent tube that travels down the back side of the fuel tank to the undercarriage of the truck And the fuel line going down to the fill spout

All in all a pretty fun project I will let you know how it all works in a couple of weeks. I am planning my first trip with the new set up just to see how it works. RDS seems to make a pretty darn good tank.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

36 REPLIES 36

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
linkey no workie.
but did a search for titan fuel tanks.

OUCH 5 bills for only 15 gallons....

and NO hook up included, only tank and mounting.
and as it is made of plastic i would have to build a steel container (sides top cover)so it does not get damaged.
back to building one my self.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
Like this - https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/titan-portable-liquid-container-accessories/titan-sidekick-15-gal-compact-liquid-transfer-tank-5040015/
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
does any aux fuel tank company make a pork-chop aux styled tank?
one side of the bed..guess i could hold 20 gallons there. (almost double my trucks range....but not my bladder.
--i am a old worn-out chewed up and spat out truck driver--.

as i need and use the bed up to the header panel. about two feet width, center line of the truck. i have a motorcycle wheel holder in this spot.
just fits from the front of the hitch rails to the front "wall" of the trucks bed.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the 80 Gal RDS tank. We like those out of the way campgrounds like watoga state park in west virginia on the greenbriar river.:C
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
For me a under bed tank that replaces the stock tank means twice as much biodiesel with out having to buy $4 diesel.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I have something close to 1solmofo's setup except I didn't get a custom made tank, I bought a RDS 45 gallon transfer tank from Northern Tool. It's tall and "thin" so it would fit in front of my (already) installed toolbox. I suppose I could've sold the toolbox and bought a different configuration but this set up works for me. We have a long box Dodge so the tool box and fuel tank don't take up that much space and so far hasn't been any trouble.

I LOVE the extra tank! I now have about 70, 75 gallon fuel capacity which gives me almost 700 miles of range. When we have a long day I can easily get to the campground, drop the trailer and go to ANY gas station I feel like. Easy in, easy out. Case in point, while in Oregon last fall we were staying near Portland, I found (on Gasbuddy) a Safeway that had fuel for 25 cents a gallon less than the truck stops along the freeway. No way in he** would I have gotten into that place with the trailer on! Needles to say I topped off both tanks! I didn't get the extra tank so much for fuel savings but for range and convenience, the savings is a nice added plus.

Dan

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Very Nice indeed.

1slomofo
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to do the same thing...I have a diesel that only has the 26 gallon tank, but I already had a truck tool box that I really liked and didn't want to replace... So I had a custom one made from some measurements I took. Then I coated it with bed liner myself.

The new tank carried over 25 gallons. So I can now carry about 51 gallons! I am using the same gravity feed kit you are. Super awesome!

-2015 32SAG Eclipse Attitude Toyhauler
-2010 Mosebilt 2-seater Long Travel Sand Car
-2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
-2006 Kawasaki Kfx400
-1984 Wife

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like an even better idea than the extra tank. How big of a hassle was it to find one that would fit under there and did you do the tank install yourself?

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I opted for a titan fuel tank. It replaces the main tank - in my case from a 34 to a 62. It leaves the entire bed empty, which is nice when I am not hauling the trailer. I get ~1000 miles empty, and 500-600 loaded.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:
Aux tank was one of if not the best addition I made to my TV when I had the FW. Gave me a range of about 800 miles. I still had to stop to stretch my legs and let the dogs out but was able to stop where I wanted and not at crowded gas stations. Awful good feeling knowing that I could fill up in the morning and not worry about it again until tomorrow.

Yep that's what I am now looking forward to. ๐Ÿ™‚

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Aux tank was one of if not the best addition I made to my TV when I had the FW. Gave me a range of about 800 miles. I still had to stop to stretch my legs and let the dogs out but was able to stop where I wanted and not at crowded gas stations. Awful good feeling knowing that I could fill up in the morning and not worry about it again until tomorrow.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
ryanallie1 wrote:
Hi All,

Nice, but I think it is a big waste of money. Yes, you can drive for a very long time on that much Fuel.

I can do the same thing, but it doesn't cost me anything extra. And our Motorhome only has a 85 Gallon Gas Tank.
I just stop more often, espically when I see a Gas Station with no cars or trucks in it. As I can only drive at the most for two hours due to a bad back, so its nothing for me to make as many stops as I please,. and I never even come close to running low on gas.

Or have any troubles getting in and out of Gas Stations. Of coarse it helps that I was an OTR Trucker for over 30 years. I can get our Motorhome into places most people would only thing about, or in a much smaller Truck Camper or a Tear Drop Trailer.

For what you paid for that big old extra Gas Tank, I could sure buy a whole lot of Gas with that amount of money. But hey, what the heck, if your happy, than that's all that really counts anyways, right. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill * our two small "Yorkie Kids", who love to travel as much as we do.

Yeah Dan I think your missing the point. First off I am talking diesel fuel. Beings that your an ex OTR trucker you know that in some places it's hard to find diesel fuel. Oh it's getting better but still lots of places once you get out of the city that just don't sell it. Of course OTR truckers carry a couple hundreds of gallons of that stuff so it's not important to them. But us guys that have diesel engines are always cognoscente of the fact that some places might not have fuel. At one point in Alaska two years ago I had to stop and fill my main tank up with 10 gallons of fuel from my gerry cans that I would carry with me because it was over 500 miles from diesel stop to diesel stop. Oh there were gas stations and three of them had diesel but three of them also had problems with the fuel and had their pumps shut off. So with that said I thought why burden myself with that trauma. Now I can carry 75 gallons of fuel. Still 10 gallons less than you are carrying and now when I stop it won't have to be at a crowded fuel station. With all the people annoyed because they have to wait for me and my fifth wheel taking up two or three pumping stations to get filled and get out. Some times it's not about how hard it is for me but how much grief everyone around me is going to have to go through. Like they say "Its always an open road for the slowest guy on it" Na its not something I really really had to have but it was something that makes the trip just a little more pleasant and isn't that the whole idea of this RVing stuff? So "waist of money"? Na not for me. But one could say any hobby is a waist of money

Hope you have a great camping season and for sure a lot of fun
Ray

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Nice, but I think it is a big waste of money. Yes, you can drive for a very long time on that much Fuel.

I can do the same thing, but it doesn't cost me anything extra. And our Motorhome only has a 85 Gallon Gas Tank.
I just stop more often, espically when I see a Gas Station with no cars or trucks in it. As I can only drive at the most for two hours due to a bad back, so its nothing for me to make as many stops as I please,. and I never even come close to running low on gas.

Or have any troubles getting in and out of Gas Stations. Of coarse it helps that I was an OTR Trucker for over 30 years. I can get our Motorhome into places most people would only thing about, or in a much smaller Truck Camper or a Tear Drop Trailer.

For what you paid for that big old extra Gas Tank, I could sure buy a whole lot of Gas with that amount of money. But hey, what the heck, if your happy, than that's all that really counts anyways, right. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill * our two small "Yorkie Kids", who love to travel as much as we do.
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
I had an RDS in the old truck and found a used Transfer FLow for the new truck. I wouldn't go without one. Now when I fuel up the only stress is to find the cheapest place...which we use the Gas Buddy app on our phones to do. When you are buying 75 gal or so at a time, the cents make a difference!

Enjoy the added range!
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB