cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lights Out

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all the exterior amber and red camper lights in front and rear. When I plug into my truck...none work. The porch lights and tail lights work fine. I wired everything exactly was it was with new lights. Each light has green on one side and white on the other. The bulbs have 2 black leads. Is it possible they are flipped? There is no marking +/- that would make me think they polarity matters. I am thinking it does not. What have I done wrong? If one light has a bad connection - is it like the Griswald scenario and none work? :?
27 REPLIES 27

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
yep Burbman. I got my fundamentals on rv wiring sewn up. Just can be infuriating. Ala Clarke. LOL. Thanks again!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great news! So all in all two basic wiring issues, not complicated, just need to go step by step and process of elimination to find the issues!

2000_Kiwi
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear it!!!

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
I did it! Turns out the daisy chain runs thru the tail light. You know those holes that you push in the stranded wire and it pokes into the metal tangs? Well....I did not push hard enough. Did not occur to me to check the tail lights - since they worked. But the power came in and the exit was stifled...therefore no current going to rear passenger side panel and on up to top 5 rear ones. Thank you all so much for your help. You all really did get my head moving in the right directions. There will be a RV lighting come nigh time this evening. I will give it a big old Griswald smile.

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
brake lights and porch lights have been fine all along. They have to be on separate circuit. There are 7 lights in the back. Just lights for night driving. there are 5 on top back and 2 on back sides. The passenger side back rear actually works. This is what is bugging me out. I don't see any burned separate fuses. It is like a christmas tree strand when it stops at a certain point. I have half the panel off from previous contruction. It sure would be swell if the break is there and not above.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
So no tail/running lights....have you tried the brake lights and blinkers to see if they work? May help you narrow this down some.

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks burbman. great name by the way. I feel better that I am not alone. lol. I've pulled all rear fixtures and the result is no power. So....it really means i have to know which one comes first i guess as the root of the problem?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you made some progress anyway, you found one issue. Just a matter of pulling those rear fixtures to find the other problem(s). I feel your pain though, and have endured similar trying to fix something that wasn't broke....

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
Yep...ha ha....thats me

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
Ha ha. You were right. On second one I crossed green and whites. I fixed and the fuse surge problem went away. Unfortunately front lights lit and all but one in the back are now out. That is nuts. Just one in the back works out of 7. I check with check light and no power. They all worked before I changed them all. I changed them all because they were all weathered. NOW I do want to kick a reindeer.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Clark, look on the bright side, you may not need to check all 11, you may find the problem on the 1st or 2nd one you look at.

Don't blame yourself either, the problem may be in the fixture itself and not a wiring problem. Don't rule out a defective fixture, so look at those too as you go around.

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah - I need to go the route of checking all 11 lights. Call me Clark. Thanks. I'll be back.

2000_Kiwi
Explorer
Explorer
cs2kplus wrote:
ok.....checked my truck. A 15 amp fuse was out. I replaced. The lights all came on - for 5 seconds - and out they went. Fuse was blown. Just like Clark. If it was Xmas I'd be kicking some lawn ornaments. One thing to not...I only had one fuse left to use. It was one that had a "z" element in it as opposed to the more robust looking one I replaced. But...its rated for 15 amp nonetheless - so should not matter. Whats going on? Why would they light - then blow a fuse? Too much juice being outputted? Bad ground? looks like I'll need a buch of 15 amp fuses testing this.

I would have expected it to pop faster than 5 seconds....

It is possible that you pinched a wire and it is shorting out against the metal of the trailer. In the trailer plug you can check for continuity using a test meter between ground and your 12v source wire.... If there is continuity, it is shorted.

How did you make the wire connections? Crimp caps or solder and tape? If there are any copper wires sticking out of your connections it could short there as well.

It is very tempting... But whatever you do, do not put a bigger fuse in your truck... If it had a blue 15amp fuse make sure you replace it with a 15amp fuse. Going to a larger fuse can cause serious damage.