cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Live with it or pull new speaker wire.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
When upgrading the interior speakers on the Wildwood I found they wired the 2 living room speakers on one channel and the 2 bedroom on the other. You could not run them separate. If I want stereo I have to try and pull new wire through the ceiling and wall to the living room and to the bedroom. The other option is to through it back together and live with it. Funny the only speakers wired correct are the outside speakers that I don't use.
16 REPLIES 16

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
robsouth wrote:
Jagtech wrote:
Why don't you just change the wiring at the back of the stereo so that the proper pairs go to the appropriate speakers?

That likely will not work from what OP described.
Robsouth is correct. There is only two wires running to the living room and 2 to the bedroom. You need 4 wires for stereo.

If you are a bit creative, it can be done with 2 wires. One wire will be Left (+L) and the other will be Right (+R). The return side of each speaker will be chassis ground. pretty much any metal connection point near the speakers that is common with the chassis. In the rear of the stereo, the L- and R- must be connected to chassis ground. On some stereos this may not work, as some models require the outputs be isolated from ground. The original 2 wires can then be connected to L+ and R+.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellertx5er wrote:
Were the existing wires stapled/secured to structure along the way? If not, they could have been used to pull in the new wires.
When I pulled on the wire it would not slide. I was going to pull the new wire with the old.

I went down to ACE and bought a white wire holder to hide the wire in the closet.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Were the existing wires stapled/secured to structure along the way? If not, they could have been used to pull in the new wires.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:

This was going to be a 10 min job.

LOL... most of my start out that way.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have pulled new wire from the ceiling to a closet and then down to the stereo. The wire was to tight to run the same way the MFG did. I now have stereo in the living room. I did not do the bedroom.

Kind of funny what started this was a upgrade of speakers. The new speakers were to small for the cutouts either need larger speakers or make an adapter.

This was going to be a 10 min job.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If he can get through the ceiling then that's a good option otherwise run the wires on the roof.

If the grounds are common then he only needs to run 2 wires from the front to back speaker on one side. ie Connect front speaker wire source to rear speaker and rear speaker wire source to front speaker. Otherwise it's 4 wires. No need for any vertical wiring.

OP Connect the speakers with some temporary wiring inside the rig to see if this works for you.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you take down speakers, AC vents, AC trim, skylight bezels and lights, you will have access points to the ceiling cavity which will allow you to "leapfrog" from access point to access point. Using a fish tape, you'll be able to get wiring through the ceiling. You can also use the interior of cabinets to route wire and you can even run part way inside a cabinet, down a wall & through say the underside of a shower or fridge cavity and then back up into the ceiling.

As mentioned, the AC duct is a good method of gaining access to the ceiling. The way the grills simply push into the duct, it makes for an easy access method.

I've run speaker wiring, co-ax and even romex through the ceiling in several TTs. It's not a hard as you might think.

In our TT, they installed 4 speakers in the living/kitchen area and nothing in the bedroom. It's pointless to have 4 speakers in such close proximity. One of these days I'm going to add a pair of speakers in the bedroom. I've already run wiring into the bedroom ceiling for a wall switch and an additional light fixture and know it will be relatively easy to do.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Run UV resistant wire on the roof which would be a easy solution.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty easy for us to use the ceiling air conditioner ducts to route new RG and other cables from end of the trailer to the other. Most trailers have ceiling cabinets on both ends that makes it even better.

Just pull down the ceiling vents that is installed about every six feet down the center of the trailer. Then you can fish your RG Cables - VIdeo Cables - Audio Cables- etc from one ceiling vent to the next one. You may have to exit the ceiling vents to get to a side cabinets or room just be sure to use expanding foam to fill the hole you made so that the air conditioner can build up its designed duct pressure...

We also use wireless speakers especially outside on the patio. Check them out at WALMART...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
Check out wireless speakers/headphones. Do not use the type that needs batteries, get rechargeable headphones or ac speakers. The stereo headphones beat the cheap tv speakers. I would look for Bluetooth speakers, even if I had to replace an old tv with a new flat panel.

Or.... you could run wiring inside a surface mount channel. screw the channel... about 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch high. place the wiring inside and snap the top on the channel. Can be run in ceiling/sidewall corner, even through cabinets, or baseboard type. Ask your hardware man.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
robsouth wrote:
Jagtech wrote:
Why don't you just change the wiring at the back of the stereo so that the proper pairs go to the appropriate speakers?

Robsouth is correct. There is only two wires running to the living room and 2 to the bedroom. You need 4 wires for stereo.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oasisbob wrote:
Another example of bad quality . Can you have it fixed under warranty? I doubt you could pull it through. If you try securely fasten new to old and try. If it hangs up bull it back through. What a sad deal.
The warranty is long passed it's a 2005. What makes a person mad is it would take less then 2 min to do it right when building. They saved 12' of speaker wire by doing it wrong.