Explorer
Explorer
dded a new outlet with 2 USB charging ports
Marty
13 REPLIES 13

kpratte
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these: Anker 6 port 60W USB charger. It will charge 6 devices all at once, fast. Works good so far.

- Ken
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax Platinum, TRD Swaybar, Timbrens
2012 Keystone Sprinter 272BHS
Reese DC Sway, Fastway Flip, Tekonsha P3
Yamaha 2400iSHC Generator

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
mrgreetis wrote:
Happy, could you just use one of the mentioned regular ones and wire it downstream from a current GFI outlet. The upstream one would protect any downstream receptacles.

Mike

X2. That's how the GFI plugs are wired in the RV and homes.

Your problem would be if the outlet you are replacing is existing in your RV and not wired to the GFI circuit already. It is probably daisy chained with other non-GFI outlets.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

mrgreetis
Explorer
Explorer
Happy, could you just use one of the mentioned regular ones and wire it downstream from a current GFI outlet. The upstream one would protect any downstream receptacles.

Mike

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for an outlet with USB port but the 120 volt side needs to be a GFI setup, anyone found one of these?
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

MrWizard
those things scare me...
i wonder about the reliability of the components used
i much prefer using the oem chargers that came with each device
i use a small power strip, or multi-outlet plugged into the duplex
so i can use multiple oem chargers
i feel safer doing that, to charge expensive electronics
phones, tablets, cameras ..etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
These were 3 amp I believe, I know the ipad and iphone take a lot of juice to charge. But now all I have to have is the cable
thanks marty
Marty

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG hit my problem squarely. My smart phone needs at least 2.1 amps to charge. Any less and it goes out. It did take me a while to figure out what the problem really was.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought, I had considered doing this myself but I discovered one (IMHO) flaw. These USB ports are not Surge protected. This may not be a big issue if you have a Progressives Industries Surge Guard on the trailer. But if you do not (as is my case) you have no protection on all those $500 iPhones, iPad, TV etc from bad park power, etc. So in my case I just went out to Home Depot and got a few good quality power bars with surge protection, high joules rating and 1A or better USB ports built in. I also used some 2 sided Velcro tape to mount them up. Yes it is not as elegant a solution but I was more concerned about my devices getting fried than some extra wire dangling.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
A lot of those ports are only good for 1A charging. They wont charge some Smart phones or larger items like Tablets.
For those power hungry items, look for a USB charger that says 2.X amps.

Thanks for that info.. I'm planning on installing these outlets in my Grandsons rooms, they're computer/gadget geeks.

The OP had a good idea, installing it in the RV.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A lot of those ports are only good for 1A charging. They wont charge some Smart phones or larger items like Tablets.
For those power hungry items, look for a USB charger that says 2.X amps.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
I found one that has four USB ports, no AC outlets at all. Unfortunately, they are now all filled and I need more. One thing, my wives smartphone won't charge off of them. It has to use its own AC to USB adapter. Everything else seems to work.

I had a similiar problem with a mult-purpose car jump starter/air compressor that also had USB ports and a cigarette lighter socket. The USB ports would not charge my iPhone 5 but a USB adapter that I put in the cigarette lighter socket did work. I discovered that iPhone needs at least a 1 amp output but the USB sockets provided only a half amp.

The good news is that there are wall plates out there with higher outputs.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty neat, I am thinking of doing an install in my pup seems everything (almost) uses USB chargers..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I found one that has four USB ports, no AC outlets at all. Unfortunately, they are now all filled and I need more. One thing, my wives smartphone won't charge off of them. It has to use its own AC to USB adapter. Everything else seems to work.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox