cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New window in door The best !

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to replace the frosted glass in the door with tinted glass and a new plastic frame, but with the cost of the glass and frame plus shipping I could, for a few bucks more I get this neat window that opens and doesn't have a cheap plastic frame that has to be replaced every few years and it matches the rest of the windows in the RV.

This is the best replacement window yet, the EDWIN by Atwood.
At Easy Windows

Why didn't the MFG put these in to begin with? Instead of the cheezy plastic rimed things?

Privacy glass and it opens, easy install as shown here and looks just like the rest of the windows in the MH.

The frames come in black or white.

(on edit see mine on page 4)
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
76 REPLIES 76

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
as I recall all three of my motorhomes had a pull down shade mounted over the door that could be pulled down to cover the window.
look at some MHs at any dealer for ideas.
bumpy

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
What about the simple(?) lexan from lowes or home depot swap? Then use a shade at night mounted with velcro. I think I saw that mod somewhere in the diy modifications thread.
Thats what I would do. If I needed the door open, it would be open- no need for an opening window in the door.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The new Mobile and elite Suites are doing without the window in the door. They add a fish eye. I had my wife try out the fisheye she could not see who was at the steps. The hole is too high for her. We we opted for no window and no fisheye. Guess what that is an extra! Don't need anything since we have a window right next to the door in the dining slide out.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FreakinSchmiech
Explorer
Explorer
That's a really good idea to hang it in front of the screen door, but how did you do so? Got a picture handy?

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
I put the clear window in both of my doors. I did one with a shade and one with a blind. I like the blind better since you can keep it closed, pull it up, or angle the slats to control the light. I may replace the shade with a blind. One of my favorite mods. I hung both on the inside of the trailer so it hangs in front of the screen door.
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
You have to shade it at night, like any other window. With the screen door in the way, that means you have to open the door, unless you hang something over the screen door too.

Nevertheless, I'm putting one in ours. If I could see out that window, it would be a huge help when driving, specifically when pulling out of parking lots and other turns where I am angled left. It's amazing how many of those turns exist. Our door is just behind the passenger seat.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

FreakinSchmiech
Explorer
Explorer
What is this window like at night? I know it's "privacy" glass, but tinted glass tends to provide plenty of visibility at night when the lights are on inside.

4K-Ranch
Explorer
Explorer
Cool window, got it bookmarked and on my list. My 30 year old cracked and patched window definitely needs replaced....for that matter maybe the whole door. ๐Ÿ™‚
Kim & Kay

1986 Class C Fleetwood Tioga Arrow
E350 Chassis, 460 Ford engine

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigfeets wrote:
Let's see some pics of everyones screen mod after they install this window. That is the only downside I can see.

HERE is just one example that seems to work very well.
Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
tmprkswyo wrote:
My trailer came without a window in the door. I saw the Edwin and was sold. Exactley what I was looking for. Installation was a breeze and I am very happy with it.

It is a great upgrade for a Toy Hauler too.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum size.

Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Chris has pointed out,this is a regular window but is made specifically for a direct replacement of the door window that most RV's come with.

I see no reason that another window could be put into the door IF the thickness and other dimensions would be compatable,and you are very handy with cutting and repairing any screwup.

I checked on having a regular window made to replace my old cheap frosted,plastic framed one replaced. That is how I found the EDWIN.

It was cheaper than the custom made one plus it had the slideing window in it. A WIN WIN all the way around.

As I have said and many others agree,this is one of the best Mods that I have done.
Buying A Rental Class C

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That *is* a regular window in the door- it's just made to standard size, and is a bit cheaper than normal windows.
-- Chris Bryant

Nuke-E
Explorer
Explorer
I really like this idea--here's my question: What would prevent someone from using a regular RV window in the door? Is there something special about it other than size? Right now I don't have a window in the door at all (though I have one of the cheap windows that was given to me laying around), so size really doesn't matter. Thoughts?
2004 Showhauler on Volvo VNL chassis
2005 Mazda 6s 5-door MTX

RVnerds.com

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

So much better, and more light more air and able to see more scenery.

I like it!!!

Sigh, I'll admit - it took me this long to read the real description and realize this is just the window. BUT- I think I'm in!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see some pics of everyones screen mod after they install this window. That is the only downside I can see.