cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Under frame cooking table storage for travel trailer

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
As I'm sure a lot of you do, I travel with a cooking table to do most of our cooking outside. However, having a travel trailer, storage of a six foot long cooking table is a bit of an issue. I got tired of carting the table in and out of the camper, as I had to store it on top of the bed when traveling.

I considered getting a folding table that folds to three feet. After looking at them, I realized I would never be happy with how they don't open up perfectly level. After all, how are you supposed to cook a killer batch of bacon if all the grease won't pool up where you need it to on the griddle?

So, I started brainstorming on a way to carry the table. Really, the only place that would work was under the frame of the TT. The trick: how to do it with a minimum of weight but strong enough to not give any problem?

I searched the internet over for ideas. Found a few that stored their spare tire, and other odds and ends under frame. However, my TT has an enclosed underbelly, so I wasn't going to be able to use any of that space.

I decided that slotted angle would be the best bet. I would make some drop brackets and bolt them to outside lip of the ibeam frame. Then run a six foot piece of angle to the other side of the TT. I even considered using the angle to make a sort of underbelly box that I could store other things in, such as chairs, etc.

As I started sketching it up, I began to realize that it might be more cumbersome than I first thought. My plan was to let the edges of the table rest on the angle and basically slide it in and out kind of like a drawer.

As I was brainstorming with a friend, he remarked how neat it would be if it could be on rollers, kind of like a garage door. Just so happened, I have rollers, and garage door rails!

Now, I was cooking. New plan.

Drill into the side of the table, and stick garage door rollers right in to the table. I drilled through the soft plastic and then into the metal frame of the table, like so:

image by 93Cobra#2771, on Flickr

Mount garage door rail instead of angle. Much lighter weight. Plus, if it can hold up a 300# garage door, I imagine it will be OK with a ten pound table. I drilled four holes per rail. I had to mount to the outside lip only, as the inside lip wasn't accessible without cutting into the underbelly, as well as notching a piece of channel that the underbelly is retained by. *Note, in this photo, the angle and the rail are temp mounted for mock up purposes.

Once I got the rails spaced correctly, and mounted (I used grade 8 hardware on all of it), I then fashioned a removable piece of slotted flat, with pins and clips, to retain the table in place while traveling FYI, the table is 6'. The distance from the outside edge of my driverside ibeam to the outside edge of my passenger side ibeam is exactly 6'. Happy accident. The below picture isn't great, but you get the idea. And, even though it looks like it is crooked, it is actually perfectly straight - curvature of the lens on the camera makes it look bent.

I have close to 1000 miles on this mod, and everything looks as good as the day it was installed.

I was originally going to paint it black, and my do that in the future. However, I'm so dang proud of it that I'm leaving it as is so people will see it and ask about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope this helps someone in their quest on how to transport their cooking table.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow
20 REPLIES 20

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I forget to update: I checked the table out yesterday after I got home. No water puddled on top. Table was a bit dusty but I didn't see evidence of road grime/water spray. And that was with 150 miles of rain at 60mph.

As of right now, I won't be making any changes.

I guess, as I think about it - the underbelly itself doesn't get covered with road spray. And the rails are right beside the table itself, literally covering the entire edge of the table. I guess airflow under the TT is such that it never really sucks up on to the table.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
You might be able to cover the rails with a sheet of plastic attached to the frame and rails so that the table does not pick up to much dirt and grease from the road, maybe with a side sliding door at the front, when you need to clean the compartment tilt the TT a little and hose down the compartment.

Good idea, I can not use it the only area available to me is under the catalitic and that will mwlt my table, I am shure some others will benefit from this, thanks.

navegator

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I would be the friend with uneven folding table. I hope your next site is uneven, your camping buddy ๐Ÿ™‚

It's not like a called you out by name. Once you attain your "bacon master" status, you'll be looking to upgrade your table. LOL
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
JMO but wouldn't it be easier to haul two 2'x4' tables flat in your truck bed?
I've struggled with both and the two 2'x4' is easier to deal with.
Nice idea though.

I have 3 of the 2 x 4 tables. After wiping them off I stack them on the jackknife sofa inside the trailer.

penguin747
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I would be the friend with uneven folding table. I hope your next site is uneven, your camping buddy ๐Ÿ™‚

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Not so far. I actually use them. I hang a trash bag off one and drape my power cord over another to keep it from sliding off the table.

And if they do get in the way, I simply pull them out. They are fully floating in the table, just like a garage door. They are just right enough to stay in, but loose enough to pull without any tools.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea and execution.

Do the roller wheels on the table ever get in the way when using the table?
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Wet Coast wrote:
Great concept, as we are always looking to bring everything and the outside kitchen sink along!
It's not just the mud and dirt, but mechanical abuse; ie ground clearance. I do a lot of logging and industrial roads and old, overgrown retired roads. Would not work for our conditions.

I can definitely see that as an issue. Only way to work around that would be to skin the "chassis" of the table slide with some lightweight aluminum or sheetmetal to use like a skidplate on a truck. I think the entire assembly hangs down ~3", so there isn't much of a loss of clearance.

And if mounted close to the wheels on the camper, less chance of banging on stuff.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that one good trip down a dirt road in the rain will bring a mod to the mod. I would enclose it something lightweight...plexiglass? sheet metal?
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
Great concept, as we are always looking to bring everything and the outside kitchen sink along!
It's not just the mud and dirt, but mechanical abuse; ie ground clearance. I do a lot of logging and industrial roads and old, overgrown retired roads. Would not work for our conditions.
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Very slick and clever!

Do you travel with the table upside down or right side up? I'd think the legs might be prone to flop out if it's right side up, which would obviously be a bad thing, but upside down it would seem likely to collect any water that splashes up.

I initially was going to do it right side up. Then realized I would have to fashion a way to keep the legs retained with a pin or such. Decided I would go the more simple route and go upside down.

The table fits VERY close to the underbelly, so I'm hoping that it won't be full of water when I go check it out today.

I considered the folding tables, but a few of my friends have them and they don't sit level enough for me.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Nice idea though.

or a table that hinges in the middle, don't remember the exact sizes that I have seen.
bumpy

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very slick and clever!

Do you travel with the table upside down or right side up? I'd think the legs might be prone to flop out if it's right side up, which would obviously be a bad thing, but upside down it would seem likely to collect any water that splashes up.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Nice idea though.

I typically throw our chairs (4), loading blocks (4 stacks), sewer hose support (1), firepit and assorted firewood, 14" small round weber grill, and other assorted odds and ends in there. Gets a bit crowded.

Plus, my bed is the 5-1/2' bed, so the table won't fit in there with the tailgate up unless I leave it sticking out the top. And I really like only having one table to deal with.

Which means my bakflip bed cover has to be opened up at least one panel. Which gets my chairs wet if it's raining.

So, no, it wouldn't be easier. ๐Ÿ™‚
Richard White
Hensley Arrow