cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to use to create a "nightstand" ledge next to bed?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
What are you folks using to create a ledge or shelf? I have to have water by my bed as well as eye drops, sleep-aids, etc., but the unit that we are considering has no ledges.

Would love to see some of your mods for this type of situation!

Thanks for your help in advance!
24 REPLIES 24

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rear corner bed, so no room for nightstands. I ended up buying one of those silver metal mesh magazine files (here's an example from Container Store) and mounted it to the overhead cabinets laying flat on its side in the corner above the bed. So, it creates a ~3 inch slot for my kindle, etc.

Would have to be a smaller (and water tight) water bottle to fit in there, I suppose. But I like that it is up and out of the way, since the rear corner bed doesn't really leave space for a traditional shelf (at least, I'd be worried about bumping into it).
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
W4MBG wrote:
I cut up the kitchen sink cover (Formica-covered pressed wood) and made it into a small shelf. At least it matches the other counter tops!

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

X2, we converted from queen size mattress to a king, that meant removing the side "tables" to fit the king. Purchased two shelves from Lowes, and attached using glue! Worked great, I can sit in bed and have a place to rest my coffee cup!

mdprowash
Explorer
Explorer
I just made some new shelves yesterday.. still need to caulk and paint. The old shelves were small and dilapidated. I just used some pine boards.. one 48"x6" and 4" strips underneath.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
We had just an open space on each side of the bed in our new trailer.
I took the 2-piece "over the sink" shelf from our old camper and separated it into the two halves, and put L brackets on the underside of each one and screwed them into the walls with 1/4 inch screws. They work great. I also have a couple of decorative cigar boxes that I keep under each one to just keep the clutter down.

John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

W4MBG
Explorer
Explorer
I cut up the kitchen sink cover (Formica-covered pressed wood) and made it into a small shelf. At least it matches the other counter tops!

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

1999 Winnebago Minnie, 29', Triton V10, mostly stock. So far...

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have seen that. The one that I had looked at had a very tight space with a queen squeezed in. I wondered how I could make the bed without pulling the mattress out of the "hole."

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
Standard on our rig was a king size bed, when we ordered it we had them put in a queen and added shelves by our headboard. It also gave us more room to get around the bed. We use a queen at home so having it in our RV was not a problem, but I know many like their kings. I have friends who have cut down the bed platform to go from a king to a queen, so it can be done for added space.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone! A lot of great ideas!!

There was only about 11" between the bare mattress and the wall next to it, which led to the bath. We don't own this unit. It was a prospect, about which I wondered if there was a way to create some nightstand space for it.

I suppose that the other easier way to take care of this is to sleep with the head at the foot of the bed. The dresser would be over the head...one could close in the slide a bit to decrease the distance between the bed and the dresser. That would give a LOT of nightstand space! Has anyone ever done that?

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
I stained a wooden tissue box holder and attached it on its side to the wall beside my bed in our first camper. It worked well and looked nice.
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
I used pieces of this 'stuff' for several spots in our 5er cut to proper length and made removable. I screwed on some 1/2" oak plywood. The shelves were stained to (kinda) match the interior.

Unfortunately, no photos yet and I don't recall where it came from, but this is a source: http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/products.php?product_id=1966

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
It would help to know what is next to the bed now. If it's an outside wall, that limits your options, but a closet wall for instance, opens up the possibilities for an enclosure of some sort. I don't have any photos of it, but on a previous RV with no nightstand on my side of the bed, I cut an opening and inserted a square sided plastic storage bin I found at a dollar store. The rim was perfect for attaching it with several small wood screws, and some wood trim finished it off nicely and added a small lip at the front. A piece of shelf liner kept my "stuff" from sliding around.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Do you have space for a small table from somewhere like Ikea?

Otherwise maybe one of these next to the bed without the wheels. You get additional storage space and a place to set your water. Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our trailer is so small that there is no room for a nightstand -- but there was some hidden space available on top of the fridge, next to the bed. So I punched through the panel next to the fridge,, built an enclosure, and insulated it:

Cubbyhole nightstand

Not a solution that will work for everyone, but it might be useful to a few people.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."