cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1500 Towable Fifth Wheel

DatonPlace
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the RamBox 5'7" bed. I have factory installed towing, and the 5.7 Liter Hemi engine. I want to get a Fifth wheel toy hauler to tow two Harley Streetglides weighing approx 1600lbs combined. The GVWR is 10300lbs, Max Payload is 1625lbs...Do they even make a Fifth wheel toy hauler that would work? I cannot seem to find anything. I was told that I could get the AirLift product that would increase my GVWR by 1000lbs, but still I am having trouble finding a fifth wheel that meets those requirements. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Daton
21 REPLIES 21

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
You will not find a 5er, and will have a hard time finding a tow behind that you can tow with that truck over 26ft.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
DatonPlace wrote:
I own a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the RamBox 5'7" bed. I have factory installed towing, and the 5.7 Liter Hemi engine. I want to get a Fifth wheel toy hauler to tow two Harley Streetglides weighing approx 1600lbs combined. The GVWR is 10300lbs, Max Payload is 1625lbs...Do they even make a Fifth wheel toy hauler that would work? I cannot seem to find anything. I was told that I could get the AirLift product that would increase my GVWR by 1000lbs, but still I am having trouble finding a fifth wheel that meets those requirements. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Daton
I see you are a new member, so I will do what others have not (yet!) and that is to welcome you to the Forum.
Having said that, there is no way you are going to find a fifth wheel toyhauler for two Harleys that will not severely overload your truck.
You MAY do better by looking for a bumper pull, but your choice is going to be very limited.
You really needed to do a lot of homework before you bought the truck I'm afraid.
There is nothing you can do that will change the factory specs.
Airlift will help reduce the rear end sag - it does NOT change the numbers.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
People ask questions like this ,I tell them to use a smart car to tow. Sounds mean but it is YOUR family and their lives, that is the most important thing! I've driven and towed over 180,000 miles and seen the results of stupid. Sorry but it is what it is.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but with a 1625 payload, you will not find a toy hauler that will fit the bill. If you add 150 pounds for a hitch, then 600 for driver, passenger and cargo, you're down to 875 pounds left for pin weight.

I looked at a couple of light weight fifth wheel product lines, and here is the Unloadedpin weight:

Keystone Cougar - 244RLSWE - 1270 Pounds
Grand Design Reflection - 29RS - 1476 Pounds

And these are not even toy haulers. I also looked at travel trailer toy haulers. Most of them have an unloaded hitch weight of around 1000+ pounds. That might possibly work for you, but it would be really close.

As for your comment about the Air Command adding 1000# to your GVWR. Who ever told you that is mistaken. Please refer to the first FAQ in the attached website. Air Command says their products will not increase GVWR.

Air Command FAQ
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
Do not know of any toy hauler 5th wheels for that truck, there was a post regarding a grey wolf 25rr that would be close .

The airlift kit will not increase your payload, it will take some of the squat out of your truck. Your payload is the number on the sticker and nothing aftermarket will increase or change that number, some people are bothered by this, state in an accident you could be liable to fault for overloading a vehical. Others ignor and do not care.

I towed about 8000 pds with a 1500 ram, airlift kit and erased tires. Towed ok, not great, found it to hard to travel long distance without getting tired.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you want to go by the book, you can't increase the 1625lb payload. If you try anyway, make sure to look at everything (tires, rims, axles, springs, etc...) Air bags will level the load but everything else is still over capacity)

After subtracing a couple hundred lbs for the hitch and probably another few hundred for misc cargo in the truck, you are probably looking at less than 1000lbs capacity available to handle the pin weight. That would be a tiny 5th wheel. Figure around 20-25% of the 5th wheel as pin weight for a starting figure. You also have to be careful with toy haulers if you tow without the 1600lbs of motorcycle in the back as a counter weight, you might be adding 800-1000lbs to the pin weight.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is nothing short of a different truck that you can do to increase your trucks GVWR. There are some band aids that will help carrying a load though. As for hauling a 10K fiver? Forget it. That translates into approx 2000 pounds in pin weight. Your Ram simply does not have that much capacity after you add 350 pounds for hitch, people weight over and above 150 pounds, plus what ever you might add.