Keystone RV Mountaineer 375FLF Fifth Wheels
Hitch Weight 2,120 lbs
Dry Weight 11,916 lbs
60 REPLIES 60

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
I had a 2WD dually back in the 90s. I believe that is all Ford made in the duallys back then. I got stuck going where I shouldn't go. I would get a 2WD dually again. Bow many big rigs do you see with 4WD?

The answer is almost all!! most tandem axle trucks drive on both axles, some can also lock them up for real traction.

4X4 or 4X2 is a personal choice, we four season camp, so we want for the extra control in snow.
If you have never driven a 4X4 in slick conditions the difference is that when you turn the steering wheel the TV goes that direction instead of plowing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have 4x4 only because there are typically very few 4x2 trucks on the dealer new truck lots. And the ones that are are usually the basic lower end models or work type trucks.
But in 7 years of towing the 5er I have never used 4 wheel drive. But I do not tow it in the winter or get off road or park in sand or soft grass or dirt.
I do agree that resale would be better if that concerns you.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Exploring the Painted Canyon area near Palm Springs on a gravel road and it turned to loose sand quickly. Started to bog down, put in 4wd and drove right thru it. Stuck in 100 degree weather 5 miles from pavement would not have been fun!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tonystx
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad I have it. The owner of the storage lot decided to put down some more gravel without packing it down. I went to go get my trailer and the rear wheels were spinning. I don't think I would have been able to get the trailer out without 4wd.
2016 Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4X4 6.7 Cummins

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to own a 4wd truck. We lived in the Black Hills for 9 years and traveled on forest service roads, went Christmas tree shopping in the snow without issue. Have owned current truck for over 10 years and it is a 2wd. A lot of people are having problems with the current 4wd being to high for a 5th wheel. I find the step up to high even with side steps added. I even have side steps on my 2wd. We have had a lot of extra snow this year and I still didn't need a 4wd and my drive way goes up 8' in a 50' run and I don't clean it. Personal choice as I see it.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2WD dually back in the 90s. I believe that is all Ford made in the duallys back then. I got stuck going where I shouldn't go. I would get a 2WD dually again. Bow many big rigs do you see with 4WD?
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If your just pulling a camper around on pavement you don't need 4wd. I use my trucks for lots of other things and need 4wd quite frequently. I made the mistake of buying a 2wd work truck once and that was enough.
Around here you can't hardly give a 2wd truck away. But, here it snows and there are lots of mountains. Maybe that's not the case where you live.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider is the height. Depending on your hitch and tongue height of your trailer, the 4x4 may require you to raise the trailer to get the proper bed clearance. For example, I had to flip the axles on my trailer to get it to the proper height. Some trailers have adjustment in the shackles. Mine didn't. I live in SoCal and rarely leave the road. There was at least one time where my truck would have needed a tow to get out. I had to go up a loose gravel driveway in the June Lake area (trailer not attached). I couldn't get any traction at all until I put it in 4WD. Then it was like I was on pavement. As mentioned, 4LO is great when doing parking maneuvers. You don't have to rev as high in 4LO to get things moving which saves on the transmission too with less slippage (=heat)with low speed maneuvers.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on your style of camping. We use 4WD frequently. We like to travel backroads and see thing that 99% of travelers will never see like this for example:

Cathedral Valley road near Capitol Reef

or this:

House Rock road near the North Rim

If you are happy being shoulder to shoulder in the crowd looking at the same sights that everyone else sees then you don't need 4WD

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had both. Don't miss the 4X4 one bit. My dually may not have the traction, but then again I am not going to put a 13,000+ fifth wheel on wet grass or dirt, so why do I want to pay a premium for it?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What kind of places do you go camping?
Have you needed 4WD in the past camping?
Are your camping plans changing?

Only you can decide if you need it or want it....

I only needed it once in 7yrs of FTng due to wet grass...and I really didn't need it....what I really needed was to swap OEM highway thread tires out for a better gripping tire.

Regardless of 2WD or 4WD.....it is going to be a 'dually' correct?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're on pavement all the time, probably don't need. Pull thru or back into level campsites all the time, probably don't need it. You're not, good to have.
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Parking your RV using 4 low on steep grades is very nice! Also pulling one side up on thick blocks when the site is sloped. Resale for sure!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I never needed one, but then again I stay on paved roads and don't dry camp. Roughing it is electricity and water only.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
The resale is worth it alone. In this area anyway.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.