cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3/4 v 1 ton 4x4 Keystone Montana

diver110
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking in terms of a Keystone Montana. I have not yet purchased the TV. It is much easier to find a used 3/4 ton, but they look a little marginal for hitch weight. I know it depends on how big the 5th wheel is, but is a 3/4 ton viable for the Montana line?
59 REPLIES 59

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
MrVan wrote:
Allworth wrote:
There is no such thing as "too much truck"!

I think.you.will find out that the front end of the 5-th wheel will get damaged by too stiff of springs on the tow vehicles!

You're guessing.

What springs? Go find them. Some MDT's have springs but 99% of the big rigs are air ride. Pick up a late model LoPro sleeper model for a lot less that a PU. Low mileage ones (under 300k) are all over for the 30-40k range. Have it single axled and put on an Air Ride 5er hitch in place of the big one. Your trailer will love you. When you hit a million miles tell me how many RV's you wore out.

Now if you could just figure out how to heavy duty that mickey mouse suspension on RV's.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

imjustdave
Explorer
Explorer
Friend has a F350 99 and a brand new Montana bunk house model... he loves it and is always proud of his ford but he is starting to wonder if he should upgrade to bigger truck. Yes he can pull it, it does seem to stop, but I bet there are times when the wind blows, large semi passes by, or when he has to make a quick manouvour where he starts to feel the large trailer pushing him around.
I read about 7% stiffer springs... Well to me that is alot 700 lbs on 10,000 lbs. Im sure a half ton pickup would tow any Montana out there, Wont stop, start, handle worth a dam but it will move it. Check the rating and buy what you need based off of those numbers, but dont forget you need fuel, water, sewage, firewood, kids, dogs, clothing, chairs, beer, tools, bedliner, kids friends, hitch ETC in those numbers.
David

Jayco 2007 30.5 BHS ... Not sure I need the bunks now.
Dodge 2006 3500, Manual, free spin, B&W hitch.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
As stated earlier, I tow a 2013 32' Montana High Country behind a 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins, with no problems. The 34' version actually has less dry pin weight than my 32'er. (Extra two feet behind the axels.) No idea how they compare when loaded.

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Geez this thing is getting really out there! Anyway, while I totally agree with "there's no such thing as too much truck", there's also the issue of how do you get around once camped? Anyone who thinks too much truck will shake up a 5er's insides doesn't realize that spring & shock rates can be set up so that won't happen. Our F350 has air bags that I could put 60 lbs into and, yes, the front end of our Montana would suffer greatly even with the Mor/Ryde pin box. As heavy loaded as I've gotten the trailer, I've never put more then 40 lbs in the bags.

Our truck is a crew cab, long bed, dually and I'm willing to sacrifice not being able to get into really, really tight streets for the way it tows our Monty down the road. I'm certain those with bigger trucks feel the same way, but I can get into places they can't.

If you want to tow the smallest Montana they make with a 3/4 ton truck, you'll probably be OK. Otherwise, I'd think bigger.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
up2nogood wrote:
MrVan wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
MrVan wrote:
Allworth wrote:

I think.you.will find out that the front end of the 5-th wheel will get damaged by too stiff of springs on the tow vehicles!
Really? So these rigs behind a Peterbuilt are all busted up?

Have you checked?

The real question is have you checked, you brought up the too much truck issue.

Apparently you haven't read the thread. Another party brought up the too much truck issue. So let me repeat. Have you checked?

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 16,000 gvw trailer with a 2012 Ford F350 SRW with no problems. It meets the Ford weight specs. If is was going to a dually I would go for the F450 that was designed to be a dually with better towing options and ability.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I figure it's better to make an educated decision than just blindly trust some advertising or salesman.

One thing of note about the 6.0 2500HD vs 3500HD SRW is that the axles are different, but the 14 bolt full float is no slouch, 2500HD 6.0, as it was used as the DRW axle in the 90's for GM. It's rated for 8600 lbs, just not the torque of the axle used for the duramax and 8.1L.

I am pretty sure that info is in this thread, just brining it back up for clarification based on some of the tendencies of the thread.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MrVan wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
MrVan wrote:
Allworth wrote:

Really? So these rigs behind a Peterbuilt are all busted up?

Have you checked?

The real question is have you checked, you brought up the too much truck issue.

luckyscroller78
Explorer
Explorer
I , although not totally new to trailering,do have similar questions as the OP. AND, I really do appreciate all the information I am reading here, and yes, especially the info that's got some people seemingly fuming on here, posted by ah64id . Whether you agree or disagree with his posts, it truly sounds like words from someone that has some valuable knowledge on the subject. I just today sent a question to a GM salesman asking what the difference in the package of a same engine/tranny GM 2500 truck vs. GM3500 truck (new truck, 2014 or 2015) that makes one better than the other. I specifically asked about 2500 and 3500 SRW only. Here is his response.... " Great..I can send you over some New 2500 SRW...I am not sure on the available 3500 SRW...most are duallys that we get.

the 2014 models are great deals because the 2015 are the NEW body styles, so if you are looking for a deal, the 2014 is the way to go.

I will find out with the 6.0L gas motor the capabilities....I do not believe that you can Tow 12,000+ lbs. but I could be wrong....I know in those size vehicles that you can get a 6 1/2 foot box OR an 8 foot box in both an Ext cab or a Crew cab....the 1500 is the only unit limited in box length when you get an ext cab vs. a crew cab. so you let me know if you want a standard box or a long box and I can see what is available in your preferred set-up."

SO, to make a long story a little less longer, the info I am getting here is far superior to any info I've gotten from a dealer nearby me thus far. He didn't even come close to answering what I asked him. At least ah64id comes right out and says what he knows, not beating around the bush!

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
I've always wondered myself what happens to these 5ers behind those big tractors, but if you ask them they swear by it.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
john&bet wrote:
Those rigs behind Peterbuilts are built a lot heavier and better.
I see, so these fifth wheels are built a lot heavier and better than your Montana

Almost all 5th wheels are built better

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
We are high end 5th wheel users and IMO attention has to be paid to the front pin box area for the high end and many miles per year user. These are Recreational vehicles not Commercial 18 wheelers.

Roads in many parts of the country are in bad shape and cause stress in the pin box area. Mor Ryde pin box or similar and IS suspension should be considered. These guys are not designed for the use many of us put them to on a long term basis.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
I see, so these fifth wheels are built a lot heavier and better than your Montana

:R

2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS