cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp for duel AC

Carol_N
Explorer
Explorer
Considering buying a Big Horn with dual AC system, will it run in 30 amp services?
49 REPLIES 49

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Grady23 wrote:
Anyone ever install a separate circuit on a remote breaker box for a 110 service? This was a recommendation from a mechanic working at a well known camping center. Then the bedroom A/C would be on its own 110 circuit and plugged in to the 30 Amp for the main 5th and a sep heavy duty extention on the post

This ^^^^ is a very viable idea.
THe gadget below is designed to do just that it will allow you to run both AC's on a 30 amp site

Check it out

I have an RV SafePower Switch. It allows me to run both AC's on a 30 amp site. Work like a champ

How does it hook up? It looks like a manual transfer switch that's very expensive.

They make a dongle that plugs into the 30a connection and also the 20a on a regular power pole but from what I have heard if the pole has a GFIC they don't work. OR if the pole only has 30a going to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55025-PowerGrip-Maximizer-Adapter/dp/B0024E70L2
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Grady23 wrote:
Anyone ever install a separate circuit on a remote breaker box for a 110 service? This was a recommendation from a mechanic working at a well known camping center. Then the bedroom A/C would be on its own 110 circuit and plugged in to the 30 Amp for the main 5th and a sep heavy duty extention on the post

This ^^^^ is a very viable idea.
THe gadget below is designed to do just that it will allow you to run both AC's on a 30 amp site

Check it out

I have an RV SafePower Switch. It allows me to run both AC's on a 30 amp site. Work like a champ
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I have two 15K ac units. I also have a power management system. It depends on the power supply at the park. If your power is clean as I call it, yes you can run two 15K units at the same time. I have done it but not at every park. Just assume most of the time you won't be able to do it.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mandalay Parr wrote:
I can run both of mine on 30. They draw about 27-28 total. One is a 15 and the other 13.5.

Keep in mind a 30amp is really only rated for 25amps continuous. Drawing continuous 27-28 amps is a good way to burn out equipment. If you are lucky it just trips the circuit breaker.

You may or may not be able to get both units going but it's really a not a good idea.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can run both on 30 Amp, but that's all you can run. Which is fine, if need be.

Obviously one would prefer a 50 AMP connection but sometimes they aren't available. I've done it in 90+ deg temp and 90+ percent humditidy.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
OH, and one more thing, 50 amp is in reality 100 amps, you have two hot leads, L1 & L2 each drawing 50 amps! The reason it is 50 amp service, is the circuit breaker is tied together, so you can not exceede 50 amps on either lead. 50 amp gives you so much more, go with that option if you can!

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
I can run both of mine on 30. They draw about 27-28 total. One is a 15 and the other 13.5.

Run, yes how much do they draw on start up? Typically they will draw 4 to 7 additional amps on start up, so if they both start up at the same time, your out of luck! Also at 28 amps total, you leave nothing to run anything else!

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We've run 2 on 30 amps service. Usually total draw was around 26 amps total for the entire coach when both were running. TV and items like that are fine to run with them but another large draw like dryer would cause one of the ACs to get turned off.

So yes it can be done. Depending on how the coach is wired it may or may not be possible. That can always be changed though.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
If I have interpreted the OP correctly, they are asking if the camper can be run on a 30 Amp park service. If the camper has 2 AC units it WILL be wired for 50 Amp.

Having assumed the above, a 50 Amp camper can be plugged into a 30 Amp service but without a power management system he can only run one AC at a time.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we are plugged into a 30A service with our 50A trailer, which is what I think the OP is asking about, we can run one AC and one other major draw at the same time.

You could probably start one AC; wait a couple of minutes and then start the other one. With NOTHING else drawing. If both compressors should cycle on at the same time the 30Amp breaker on the post will immediately let go.

In the desert Southwest last Summer we would (when forced to use a 30A space) run the living room AC for about a half hour then run the bedroom for ten or fifteen minutes on high to take the edge off. We would then usually only run the LR unit until dark with a fan on the steps pushing a little cool air into the BR. By bedtime we could run the BR unit only.

A 50Amp trailer plugged into a 30Amp service is no harder to manage than a 30Amp trailer. Just requires paying attention.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mandalay Parr wrote:

But basically all you can run!

Buying new get 50 amp service.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I had a MH with a energy management system and it would run both a/c's
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Short answer no both units cannot be run on 30 amps. However their are mods and ways to potentially run both units.
In the long run if you have 2 AC units you really need 50 amp service
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide