cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

38.5 foot too big to take cross country?

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to purchase a 36 Montana, which is actually 38.5'. We plan to travel the nation. Worried about it being too big.. Would like to stay in national parks if available, but not opposed to private rv parks. Anyone out there with similar size that could give some advice..
Thanks
29 REPLIES 29

SandSOrrell
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 37' fiver. I have numerous friends who are pulling 39 and 40' rigs. My TV and fiver on the road measures about 57' TV front bumper to fiver rear bumper. There are lots of back-ins that I would not be able to get into. But I always try to find pull-throughs. The comments about NPs and SPs are pretty much right on. When you call for a reservation you can inquire about what size rigs are acceptable. We tend to stay in private parks and lots of them are "big rig friendly". When making a reservation I always tell them what my coach size is and what my overall length is. Got about 15,000 miles on my 2013 setup and only once that I can remember was I told they could not handle me. So as someone has already said - go for it and enjoy your new rig!
Skip and Susan
2013 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA
2013 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 D/A DRW 4X4

USAF, Ret (63-83)
Vietnam (off and on 65-75)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are just <36' pin to bumper, 55' LOA on the road. There are plenty state & NPs where the extra 3' would make the difference between doable & not. Often we are backed in, wheels up to the end of the site pad & the back hanging off into space, way too high to the ground to use the stabilizers. A bit of jiggle & shake does not bother us so we can use these sites that we would otherwise be too big for.

If you are one who wants to make the trailer as stable as a house, you will be severely limited in SPs & NPs with your 39'. Then there are the parks which do have a few sites suitable for long rigs but all too often a class B or a C has taken them, especially in a 'pick your own site' park.

It is a case of bigger is not necessarily better. There is a tipping point where cg options greatly diminish.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too big? Well yeah, all the full-timers have Scamps and R-pods ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Basically what the others said. At 42' fifth wheel and a crew cab/long bed truck, we're about 59' tip to tail. We generally stay in private parks and I call ahead to most locations unless their site advertises "big rig friendly".

And, as someone else said- the book or subscription to Big Rigs Best Bets is a great deal and very helpful. It's not always my style of camping (usually more open than I prefer)- it's really nice for driving down the road and randomly picking a place.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with everyone, just plan ahead. More and more parks, state, fed, and private list the length of site on their web sites. Granted you will not be able to fit into every site, but most will have some where you'll fit if they're avail. We're planning to go from Fla to Alaska, down the West Coast, do the Western Parks, the Big Balloon Fest and return to FLA next summer and we're 41 feet.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but you're .5 feet too long. Just kidding...Go for it!
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 43 ft and we take it ever where. Never not been able to find a spot close to where we want to be.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
There is about a million trailers that length and longer traveling the highways every day. Just need the right tow vehicle and adequate driving skills
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
My MIL and her husband drug that same Montana all over the place with a 06
D/A 2500 shortbed. Maine to Florida to California and back. She is still in love with Sedona. They agreed they were getting too old to keep going, but they had a heck of a time before they quit. I say go for it.
Puma 30RKSS

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 38'Carriage and have been fulltiming for 17 years. We have found only a very few places we couldn't get into. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

mike2wheels
Explorer
Explorer
We're 39 feet and previously owned a 37-foot motorhome. We've found that most state parks do not have space for that. It's a little better at the national park level, but not much. We seldom find an open space in a national park, so we generally stay in private parks.
2005 Honda Gold Wing
2006 HR Endeavor 40PAQ

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Actually there are quite a number of National Park campgrounds you would not fit in. Most of the time there will be a private campground outside the park where you can
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
The Heavy Haulers Resource Guide has a map of big rig parks.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
We have pulled a 38' 5th wheel in the Western States w/o a problem. Haven't run into too many places that can't handle that length. Just plan ahead and you might want to get a book to help called "Big Rig" for campsites that can handle the bigger RV's.

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
We're 35 ft and been from Washington State to Florida and everything in between. Never had a problem. Just pay attention & plan ahead to avoid space length limits. We always check ahead on Internet & web sites to make sure. On occasion we call ahead. You could run into an issue if you just stop in cold.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch