cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel bounce

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
OK new to towing with a 5th wheel. been towing a pull behind for 20+ years. Recently pulling our new to us 2012 sandpiper 365saq 5th wheel with a 2008 F-350 crew cab. (not getting into debate about the 08) I noticed sever bottoming out at highway speed at bridges. These little dips caused my truck to bottom out. Now when hitching up 5th wheel my truck had little to no sag from weight. What can I add to truck to help with this highway dip nightmare?
24 REPLIES 24

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
zell66 wrote:
What are your thoughts on StableLoad by Torklift?

I have the Stableloads on our 08 GMC 3500 DRW and makes a huge difference in not only stopping the bouncing but I was getting driveline chatter when accelerating from a stop and that is gone also. Take about an hour to install and 5 minutes to activate them before you hook up. Great investment.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
What are your thoughts on StableLoad by Torklift?

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for not commenting back guy, I honestly forgot I posted this. Life got in the way lol.

I will try and get truck info this week, It is currently in storage and just need to get out there.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Dump your shocks for a set of Bilstein 4600's. Try that, I guarantee they will help. If you want more shock absorption add bags and start out with 30psi loaded or just enough to keep truck at current ride height.

I did both on my 11 HO RAM Dually and the difference was AMAZING!!!

Bilstein 4600 fixed our bridge transition issues. Highly recommended by me also .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
zell66, We got an โ€˜07 Dodge 3500.....it like most of todayโ€™s trucks are โ€œsoftlyโ€ sprung. People want that soft, cushy ride....forgetting they โ€œneededโ€ a truck. The manufacturers want to sell trucks.....โ€cushyโ€ sells.

Add air bags, with the onboard compressor.....should solve your problems! With approx 4K pin weight....it solved our issues!

Air bags give you the adjustability for different tongue/pin weights of different trailers,while offering โ€œcushyโ€ when unloaded!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for airbags. While you may not need them for the weight/squat of the truck, they will definitely stiffen up the hinge between the truck and 5th wheel and help greatly in the conditions you describe.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags will definitely help. Shocks on the trailer are always good.
I prefer the Rancho RS9000XL Adjustable shocks. If you don't mind doing the adjusting makes the ride a lot smoother when unloaded.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a response on which suspension/GVW/Trailer weights packages you have, but speaking from experience from two different Super-Duty pickups, with both I added Air Lift air bags to the rear. Both times it turned our really well. You can adjust the pressure to avoid issues like you have described as well as changes in loads, different trailers, pavement irregularities and etc. If you have the on-board compressor, which I highly recommend, you don't have to stop to make changes. The new WirelessOne system uses a handheld remote to make adjustments so you can even make adjustments while outside the vehicle and use different pre-set pressures for you trailer.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tinner12002 wrote:
I'd go with a good set of air bags, not for additional load but for the ride.

I don't know if you have bags or not. It's very unlikely you NEED bags with yours. But as you said adding them would improve the ride. That is why when ordering my 15 I went with the factory rear air ride.

On my 11 HO RAM Dually I had 4,500# pin weight, truck sat level. The ride over some of the California roads was less than desirable. I added 4600 Bilstien's and PacBrake bags. I aired them to 30psi loaded and did not increase the rear ride height. The difference in ride over the same roads was MUCH improved.

First pic no bags, second with bags.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with a good set of air bags, not for additional load but for the ride.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

AUwing2
Explorer
Explorer
Shocks are a wear item and depending on their age (2008?) might be time to replace.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
I found that just slowing down helps a lot.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
When hitched IS 5vr towing level or nose high?

New set of Bilsteins will go along way to controlling that 'rebound'

Trailer towing setup -frame level is best and provides for a fully working trailer suspension. Adding shocks to trailer will help, too.

Bouncing on and off the truck overload spring will intensify the impact of bridge transitions or other chop encountered by the trailer suspension.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When hitched IS 5vr towing level or nose high?

New set of Bilsteins will go along way to controlling that 'rebound'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31