cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel hitch rail problem

txbassmn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a problem with my 5th wheel hitch rail bowing in the middle when using my slider. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what can you do to prevent this from happening. Here are a couple of pics to show the problem.

Mark and Vickie, Texas
2013 F250 CC PSD FX4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 295RL
27 REPLIES 27

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
Something seems seriously wrong if the hitch is bending regardless if sliding or towing a camper that is within the capacity of the hitch.
As far as more bolts, if they are only going through the bed and not frame or other structural material I’d say you are wasting your time as the bed deck is only sheet metal at best.
Were the hitches installed properly?
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

txbassmn
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it is from sliding the hitch back and forth, not driving with it. My wife has been standing back at the bed when I was siding the hitch and saw it pull back on the rails.
Mark and Vickie, Texas
2013 F250 CC PSD FX4

psford
Explorer
Explorer
It would be nice to hear from the OP on how it got bent. Was it from towing or sliding it back .

psford
Explorer
Explorer
johntank wrote:
I would take it to a good welding shop and let them straighten the rail out and then put a piece of angle iron the same length as the rail under the bed to reinforce it using the center bolts closer to the hitch legs.

one of these is a double post

I bent my front one it was not from towing, I went to slide it back ,and apparently it hung up a bit, then let loose hitting the end very hard, and bowed the rail. I took it off straightened it, and put it back on ,and added the center bolts. I never slid the hitch back after that.

The crappy part was at the time I installed my rails they didn't even come with center bolts nor showed them installed. I don't know how much later they did start suppling the center bolts ,and putting them in.

Bracing underneath would certainly help, but I just wouldn't slide the hitch back when hooked up. If its bending from towing then he has more of an issue then slamming back the hitch when hooked. I towed for a few years before I bent mine ,and had no issues with it towing, and that was without center bolts. Friend of mine has the same rails without center bolts, and installed about the same time as mine, and he has had no rail problems.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
deleted my johntank

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
johntank wrote:
I would take it to a good welding shop and let them straighten the rail out and then put a piece of angle iron the same length as the rail under the bed to reinforce it using the center bolts closer to the hitch legs/runners for slider.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
I would take it to a good welding shop and let them straighten the rail out and then put a piece of angle iron the same length as the rail under the bed to reinforce it using the center bolts closer to the hitch legs.

one of these is a double post

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
How heavy is your trailer? Definately need to take it to a reputable hitch shop to have it looked at. I don't believe I would be towing with it until it was looked at. Good luck and let us know your out come.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

joegray
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy , that would really concern me. I think I would try to get to a good hitch shop and let them have a look. Is it just the photo or are the slide rails bent also? IMHO I don't think I would trust those rails again,even if you straighten them out{weakens the metal}. Please let us know what you find out.

psford
Explorer
Explorer
txbassmn wrote:
I do have center bolts but they aren't attached to anything but the bed and was pulling the bed floor up also.

Wow!! Is it from sliding the hitch back and hitting hard ??? Thats what bent mine, but I had no center bolts. I added the bolts ,but quit sliding it back when hooked up.

txbassmn
Explorer
Explorer
I do have center bolts but they aren't attached to anything but the bed and was pulling the bed floor up also.
Mark and Vickie, Texas
2013 F250 CC PSD FX4

psford
Explorer
Explorer
I have to assume its hitting pretty hard when you slide back hooked up, that is an issue at times when trying to slide back, and it will bend those rails with no bolts in the center.
I wouldn't try bolting them down to straighten, take them off to straighten ,and then reinstall ,drill holes ,and add the center bolts.

psford
Explorer
Explorer
txbassmn wrote:
I have a problem with my 5th wheel hitch rail bowing in the middle when using my slider. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what can you do to prevent this from happening. Here are a couple of pics to show the problem.

Yes, I had the problem, I installed bolts in the middle of the rails. 4 total one on each side on both rails. I also quit using the slider with the fifth wheel hooked up. I only need it to back into my RV pad, its a tight turn. I unhook slide it back ,and hook back up.