cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel or TT best in the 26-28 length living area?

salesjer
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for either a TT or 5th wheel camper with 26-28 feet of living area. We previously owned an AR-ONE 17RD TT and want more space. Just my wife and I camping but plan to camp 8-10 weeks per year.

We are not finding a lot of 5th wheels in this size and some salesmen have told us that in this size they recommend a TT over a 5th wheel.

Looking for input from experienced campers.

Thanks, Jerry
42 REPLIES 42

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
New to 5er's but I've had three TT's, 20', 29' and 33', I'm here to say that my 33' 5er weights more than my previous 33' TT and the towing experience is night and day. I should have bought a 250 and 5er like mine 8 years ago when I started as its so much better to tow and we travel quite a bit (60~ nights per season) all over the northeast and through Quebec/Ontario.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
I take about 10 minutes to put my fifth wheel hitch in. Once it is in it stays until I have something big to move in the bed. That being said a fifth wheel will hitch way faster then a ball especially if you have to put on the sway control and weight distribution bars.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
The 5th wheel vs. TT debate is a tough one. I'm right in the middle of it myself as I'm looking at an RV change in the next few months. I've owned both and there are pros/cons to each - at least for my usage.

Here's my list:

TT pros:

Maintain usage of the entire truck bed while on the road (firewood, bikes, tools, etc.)
Easy to hookup - no anvil to lift in/out of the bed
Less TV needed for a given size
Elevated part of the 5th provides nice separation and a generally better floor plan IMO.

TT cons:

Long overall combination (common to find spots in campgrounds that won't take a 30' + TT - RV Parks generally more accepting), also more difficult to back a similar sized unit into a given tight spot.

5th pros:

Better overall towing experience with the weight over the axle vs. hanging on the bumper
Better floor plan flow with upper level
Better storage options on the 5th (but the TT leaves better in the truck so it's kind of a toss-up)

5th cons:

Hook-up is more time consuming
Hitch is a lot to deal with both while on the road while setting up/breaking down
More tow vehicle needed
5ths seem to be generally more $$ compared to a similar TT

It's a REALLY touch call (for me anyway). I still use my truck for work more than fun so it's even tougher. If I were out with any regularity it would be a 5th for sure. It just gets old emptying the tools out of my truck and lugging the hitch in and setting up.... especially since my outings are more likely to be a weekend.

Excellent comparison.

I just traded in my bumper pull on a 5er, which was big enough I had to upgrade the truck. While truck shopping a couple of the guys at work turned me on to getting the 5er package on the dodge which also has a gooseneck ball capability. that makes it extremely easy to drop in the gooseneck ball and bolt down and Andersen ultimate hitch. (It uses a gooseneck ball, but isn't a gooseneck and thus no risk of damaging 5er frame from extra stress of gooseneck adapter.) I have the steel one, with total weight of maybe 85 pounds, and installation takes well less than 10 minutes. "Drop in ball set hitch over ball, tighten 3 bolts, drop in safety chain mounts" The aluminum version is only 35 pounds or so. It's a really sweet setup if you want to only have the hitch in the truck on weekends, use the bed of the truck while camped etc.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
The 5th wheel vs. TT debate is a tough one. I'm right in the middle of it myself as I'm looking at an RV change in the next few months. I've owned both and there are pros/cons to each - at least for my usage.

Here's my list:

TT pros:

Maintain usage of the entire truck bed while on the road (firewood, bikes, tools, etc.)
Easy to hookup - no anvil to lift in/out of the bed
Less TV needed for a given size
Elevated part of the 5th provides nice separation and a generally better floor plan IMO.

TT cons:

Long overall combination (common to find spots in campgrounds that won't take a 30' + TT - RV Parks generally more accepting), also more difficult to back a similar sized unit into a given tight spot.

5th pros:

Better overall towing experience with the weight over the axle vs. hanging on the bumper
Better floor plan flow with upper level
Better storage options on the 5th (but the TT leaves better in the truck so it's kind of a toss-up)

5th cons:

Hook-up is more time consuming
Hitch is a lot to deal with both while on the road while setting up/breaking down
More tow vehicle needed
5ths seem to be generally more $$ compared to a similar TT

It's a REALLY touch call (for me anyway). I still use my truck for work more than fun so it's even tougher. If I were out with any regularity it would be a 5th for sure. It just gets old emptying the tools out of my truck and lugging the hitch in and setting up.... especially since my outings are more likely to be a weekend.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a truck, you might want to take a look at the Fox Mountain 235 by Northwood. It is 28' overall and is a fifth wheel. They have non-Lippert frames and are very good trailers.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say what sort of "Camping" you like to do. From what you did mention however, for reasonable quality and off grid and all weather capability my recommendation would be something along the lines of:

Glacier peak Fifth wheel from Outdoors RV (They build their own frames) due to the rig being a fifth wheel with some of the length overlapping the truck your overall length will be shorter than a similarly sized bumper pull, and towing will probably be a little more secure as well. You do have to deal with a little extra height of the rig however.

I would couple this 5er with an Andersen Ultimate hitch, which although a fifth wheel hitch, it's easily as light and easy to remove and install as most equalizer bumper pull hitches. If you choose the aluminum version it's even lighter than most equalizer type hitches.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think the answer for everyone who makes a decision for 5er vs TT rests in the intended purpose for the truck bed. So, putting aside the type of camper you're considering, what are your plans for your truck bed? If you want to get a shell or a cover for the bed, you won't want a 5er. What will you use the truck for when you are not traveling? Do you haul anything, need the bed of the truck for carrying lumber, furniture, dirt, gravel, construction, farming? Or do you have the truck JUST to tow a trailer? If you have no other intended purpose for your truck, then I suggest a 5er. However, if you use the bed of the truck for any number of "other" things, you won't want that 5er hitch in your truck bed. Even if you get a quick disconnect type 5er hitch, you still have the weight, the holes for anchoring, and all the logistics to remove it from the bed. A travel trailer hitch is easily removed, and tucked away in a corner.

For me, I use the bed of my truck to haul too much other than my travel trailer. I have a construction grade shell on the truck bed with side panels, each side has 2 shelves the full length of the bed (that's 32 feet of shelf space) in that shell. My shell also has a ladder rack. I carry our canoe on the rack and all the canoe peripherals are stored on one side of those shelves (paddles, life jackets, seat cushions, anchor, rope, outriggers, sealed container for hold personal items, and a whole lot more). That still leaves the other side empty for camping items, like tools, hardware, stuff I use at home and when camping. Then there is still the bed of the truck left to carry the blue sewer tote, a 7 foot step ladder, fire wood (which stays dry when it rains), the spare tire for the trailer, extra water jugs, my extra DEF fluid for the truck, a carriage for our dog, extra lumber for leveling the camper.

The bed of my truck is 8' 2" and wide enough a 4x8 sheet of plywood will lay flat between the wheel wells. The shell can be removed when needed and I still have full function of the truck bed.

So the answer to your question, (In my opinion) rests in what is your intended purpose for the bed of your truck (when not camping)??? Figure that out, and I think you have your answer.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
salesjer wrote:
We are looking for either a TT or 5th wheel camper with 26-28 feet of living area. We previously owned an AR-ONE 17RD TT and want more space. Just my wife and I camping but plan to camp 8-10 weeks per year.

We are not finding a lot of 5th wheels in this size and some salesmen have told us that in this size they recommend a TT over a 5th wheel.

Looking for input from experienced campers.

Thanks, Jerry

Depends on the TV! If you currently have a 250/2500 or 350/3500, I would suggest gong slightly larger on a 5th wheel.

We have a 32' 5er, tows the same as about a 26' to 28' TT. More storage space and FAR better than a TT. You loose part of the TV bed, but you gain the 5er basement!! We don't have to pack to go on a trip, it is all in the basement!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say go to a RV show and look around. I hesitate to recommend anything not knowing your needs or what your tow vehicle is.

hdfatboynj
Explorer
Explorer
Coachman Chaparral MKS29. I have on and love it.
2015 Coachman Chaparral 29MKS
Ford E450 Super Duty Duely
USMC 81-85

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that there is a significant difference between a 5th wheel and a TT. I much prefer a TT. It's a matter of personnel preference, needs, and the way you use it. It's also a matter of what tow vehicle you want to own. I don't like driving a pick-up. I don't like hitching or setting up a fiver. Again, just my preference others obviously prefer a 5th wheel.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
If you have at least a 3/4 ton truck, I think you will be much better satisfied with a 5th wheel. I've had several of both, and in my judgment, there is daylight and dark difference between them.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Northwood has several lines of good quality trailers. No lippert frames, solid durable construction.