cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel pin weight

rcp123
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to determine what average % of weight is transferred to my truck with a 5er.

I am looking at a FW with 11,500 dry and approx 13,000 loaded.

Some sources say to use 15%, but I thought a better range would be 20-25%

What recommendation would everyone suggest I use to get an estimate of tongue weight?

Thanks,
Ryan & Jessica
2 Kids
13 REPLIES 13

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, the only way to know is to weigh it loaded. Mine is a rear kitchen, with all the junk in the basement, including an extra spare for the truck, and loading as much as possible forward of the axels, it is still at 12 to 14 percent.

It tows and tracks fine, even in a crosswind. It is so tail heavy it ought to wag like a happy dogs tail, but it does not. It was sold as a half ton towable, and it just barely is. Maybe that is why they built it that way. 2011 Wildcat.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Find the "Specifications" sheet for the camper you are considering. This will list the exact dry pin weight. Obviously, if you add anything to the basement storage, it will add to the pin weight, depending upon how close the compartment is to the front of the rig.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
rcp123 wrote:
I am trying to determine what average % of weight is transferred to my truck with a 5er.

What recommendation would everyone suggest I use to get an estimate of tongue weight?

Thanks,

One size doesn't fit all in this case. Of the three 5th wheel trailers I've owned they all were under 20 percent....however we only camped on long weekends and 3k-5k mile vacation trips 2-4 times a year.

There are simply too many variables to determine actual pin weight percentages.

I've noticed some 5th wheel trailer may have a 4k-5k ccc and low shipping weights. Many of these are in the weight range that can determine a 3/4 ton or a one ton SRW or from there to a one ton DRW truck.
I've bought three 5th wheel rv trailers and I always looked at the vehicles dry weights and CCC numbers and gvwr numbers and axle weight numbers.
To me it doesn't make sense/cents to buy a one ton DRW for a trailer that has a 10xxx shipping weight and a large 3.5k-4.5k ccc and a 14k-15k gvwr.

I would use all the numbers for each particular unit.

I would look at all the numbers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
About 20 percent of the trailer's actual loaded weight is hitch weight. Use the GVWR of your trailer as a guide to the actual loaded weight. The dry weight means nothing.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
To be sure your TV will handle the load 25 percent is what should be used. Most people would be shocked to see what their pin weight is. I am at or near 25 percent.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You can use percentages as a swag method. But if you look at manufacturer's web sites you will find the listed unloaded pin weights for trailers of equal length and weight but different floorplans can vary several hundred pounds due to overall construction. Sometimes shorter lighter trailers will have heavier pin weights than a trailer longer and heavier, again due to construction and interior arrangements.

Then you start loading the trailer up for travel and all bets are off.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
15 percent is too low, 20 percent is is a more realistic minimum, and up to 25 percent as a max.
I need about 22 percent to not have chucking.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my opinion, 23 - 25% is a safe range to use (and is generally cited over on the Escapees forum). We are right at 23% and are loaded lightly for full-timers. If you think about it, much of the extra stuff you load in a fiver goes in the basement, under the bed (in a front bedroom model) and the bedroom closet. Those are all forward of the trailer axles. Add to that the propane tanks, battery, and anything you put in the front tool compartment and it starts adding up quickly.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Don't guess at what you might be loaded to. Use your 5er's GVW and work from there. 20% is a usual ball park, and as you've read, it can go as high as 25%. When figuring pin weight, don't cut corners...it could make for a lousy towing experience...thus the reason to forget empty or dry weights and figure full GVW, "just in case".

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, 20 percent is used as an average. I think more loaded FWs, will be over the average, than under.

The dry weight is often figured on the low side. If you are figuring to add 1,500 lbs to the trailer, I would figure for a loaded total of 13,500 x .20= 2,700 lb pin weight, plus another 200 lbs for the hitch.

I think your axle/tires could handle 3,000 more lbs, but you would be at the edge of RAWR, especially depending on what else is going in the truck. Another thought the 6.2 will be at max around 12,000 lbs, unless you have 4.30 gears.

Jerry

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I am close to 22-23
GVWR 12,300
pin about 2700 = 22
to me this seems like a lot, but rides good.
sure takes away from cargo
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rcp123 wrote:

Thanks,

Most on here tend to use 25% as a "worst case" number until they can actually get to a scale and weigh their rig. I know that my Komfort is relatively light, based on =dry= weights (15-16%), but I'm sure it creeps up pretty close to 20% when I'm loaded. I do minimal travel with full water and tanks to help with this.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
20 is sort of average. But it all depends on a lot of factors. Mine is closer to 25% of the actual. 13,750GVWR, 13,500 Ready to travel, 3500 pin weight.
Dont do yourself a bit diservice. Make your estimates based on the trailers GVWR.