cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6v battery box for Cougar XL?

VegasBT
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a Keystone Cougar 28SGS. THE battery compartment holds the standard 12v group 24 battery. In a vented case. I would like to replace this with 2 6v golf cart batteries. The space is big enough to install the batteries without a case (the tech at the PDI showed me how they fit) but I want to install them in a vented box. The compartment measures 20" x 10". Has anyone done this? Any advice?
11 REPLIES 11

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
VegasBT wrote:
On my Coleman, the batteries fit snugly side by side, and the whole case (lid included) was strapped to the support rails.

I bolted the box to the angle iron frame and placed a screw in each end of the lid. Hope to deter a walk by thief.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a write up of how I did it on my Cougar High Country fifth wheel:

Dual 6V install

All Battery Sales and Service carry two different brands of battery boxes. I did my own venting.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

VegasBT
Explorer
Explorer
On my Coleman, the batteries fit snugly side by side, and the whole case (lid included) was strapped to the support rails.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
TNRIVERSIDE wrote:
Two GC battery box.
This is the battery box that I used. It allowed two GC six volt batteries to be installed end to end. It fit my trailer without any modification.

How did you secure them?
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

VegasBT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback! The battery compartment is vented on the bottom. I think I will build a battery case or purchase a side-by-side case (I had the end-to-end case on my Coleman, but it won't fit in the new trailer). I will definitely vent it out through the front. Thanks for the great ideas!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
TNRIVERSIDE wrote:
Two GC battery box.
This is the battery box that I used. It allowed two GC six volt batteries to be installed end to end. It fit my trailer without any modification.

X2 - this company also makes them side by side.

You should vent it out the top and bottom like original. You can modify these boxes to dump out the bottom with a vent, and connect the hose to the top with some modification.

A broken battery over winter or even a general leak can really trash these steel cabinets.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

pitch_black
Explorer
Explorer
I had same problem with my 5er. i wanted 2 6 volts also, so put one in spot made for one battery, then in front compartment put the other, no problems
05 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison. 2009 Heartland Big Country 2950RK 5th wheel,prodigy controller, 18k Reese signature series hitch, Line X bed liner

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Two GC battery box.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
In addition of being vented I would also want to have the floor area covered with a plastic type catch basin to route any battery fluids to the outside. The battery fluids will be very corrosive.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
You probably don't need the case, though you will want the space to be vented. There have been threads on here, where folks have taken the battery box off the front of their TT, and replaced it with a metal storage box, that you might have in the back of a Pick-up...and then install the batteries with brackets to keep them in place. This also allows for storage of some other things, that you might want to lock up.
They installed vent screens on the backside of the box, so that it wasn't really visible from the front.

As long as you secure the batteries and have the compartment you will be using vented, you should be fine.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Is the battery door vented? That's how they have been in my last several rigs
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.