cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Apps for gas stations?

witchy1
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any android apps (or even websites) for finding gas stations that are easier to access pulling a fifth wheel? My husband just bought me a 5th wheel to take to dog shows (we're retired and no - he's NOT planning on traveling....) It will be just me, and I'm trying to find ways to plan the easiest routes to places in Western Canada and the North-Western US. I haven't towed anything larger than a 16 ft boat many, many years ago so this is a whole new game. I've got a 2008 Dodge 2500 (gas) and a 2008 28'Cougar 5th wheel.
11 REPLIES 11

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
darsben wrote:
I use gas buddy because the next exit only supports Internet Explorer and I refuse to use Internet Exploiter on my computer.
On Friday Gas Buddy saved me $.35 cents a gallon and I filled up with 50 gallons I drove 2 blocks out of my way which put me on an Indian reservation.

FWIW, Gas Buddy works just fine with Firefox. Gas Buddy also has a mobile site, but I don't like using it on a Droid phone. It's so-so on DW's tablet, but I try and use the full site when using it, as well.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Ohiojude
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I use road ninja app and it should work for the droid. Its free and shows you gas, diesel, where to eat and sleep etc. Good Luck and have fun
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ diesel dually, Curt Q20 Hitch
**traded in-the lemon- 2012 Winnie Raven 5th Wheel**
for a marvelous-2014 Big Country 3596RE
Traveling with 3 wonderful Feline Furboys Milo, Mason and Mozart

Jim4929
Explorer
Explorer
I use gas buddy when stopped to find the best price in the area I am staying overnight or extended time. On the interstate, I use an app called DAT trucker services. It lists, truck stops rest areas, scales, Walmarts etc. Knowing where the next rest stop is a nice feature. I also use "My Pilot" to find Flying J's since I have their credit card and can fuel in back with the big boys
2011 GMC 3500 Sierra Diesel SRW
B&W Patriot Hitch
5th Airborne Pin Box
Laredo 321BH

"Have Trailer, Will Travel"

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
At 28'you should have no problem other than to make sure you have enough overhead clearance. I always look to make sure the canopy looks high enough but I think for the most part all the low ones have already been taken down by someone (as in being hit) and replaced with higher ones. Gasbuddy is your friend and going a few blocks away can save you 30 to 40 cents per gallon or more.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use gas buddy because the next exit only supports Internet Explorer and I refuse to use Internet Exploiter on my computer.
On Friday Gas Buddy saved me $.35 cents a gallon and I filled up with 50 gallons I drove 2 blocks out of my way which put me on an Indian reservation.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
diazr2 wrote:
Sounds like your going to be having some great times. You will be able to fit in 99% of all gas stations right next to the major highways. The "driving in" is not the problem you need to make sure you have overhead clearance. What ever you do never forget your about 12 and a half feet high... Just keep that in your head when pulling your rig. You might even want to past it on the steering wheel. We have a lot of dog shows down here for sure. You should have a blast. Don't worry about fuel there is always a place that will be more than happy to take your money.

I do what Semi trailers do......I Measure my Rig Height, had a Sign shop...make vinly Self Stick Numbers REVERSED.........Stuck in driverse side midway between legs and bend of underbed area.

When I look in Rearview driverside mirror.....BAM..Height right there..staring back at me....:C
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

pnwham
Explorer
Explorer
Try myPilot for android. It's free and shows both Pilot and Flying J truck stops. Works good.

Rich (just south of the border in Birch Bay)

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your going to be having some great times. You will be able to fit in 99% of all gas stations right next to the major highways. The "driving in" is not the problem you need to make sure you have overhead clearance. What ever you do never forget your about 12 and a half feet high... Just keep that in your head when pulling your rig. You might even want to paste it on the steering wheel. We have a lot of dog shows down here for sure. You should have a blast. Don't worry about fuel there is always a place that will be more than happy to take your money.

simsfmly
Explorer
Explorer
We use The Next Exit and have for years. Tells you exit by exit (interstates only) which stations are Big Rig friendly and has diesel. $14.99/year, but well worth the price if you've ever gotten caught not knowing whats at the next exit.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I use GasBudy app but it only tells me fuel prices. Mostly you will have to evaluate each of them as you go. Flying J is the only one I know of that has RV pump area. I usually try to fill up before we travel are just after arrival when unhooked.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
How about looking for truck stops?
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer