Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back wall Entertainment Center vs Side

getontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Was wondering about preference on back wall entertainment with side couch and side recliners. Versus side entertainment with back couch and side recliners.

I want the rear living area, and by looks prefer the back wall entertainment center, but seems people complain about sitting sideways to see TV. Not really sure if this would be an issue for us as we only watch TV late at night or early morning. Just checking preferences.

Thanks
Just us
(Me, the honey, 3 kids, and furbaby)
Happy in North Dakota

2008 Ford F350 Supercrew V10
2014 Montana mountaineer 310RET
2006 Ford F150
24 REPLIES 24

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
ours is the same as rattleNsmoke. Pull out and swivel. Works for us.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

getontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You DutchmanSport for the great response. I love your floor plan for a TT, it is awesome.
Just us
Happy in North Dakota

2006 Ford F150

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I can almost guarantee everyone on here has their TV's at home mounted or sitting directly in front of their main viewing chair or sofa so you are looking directly at the TV.

Why should the RV be any different? That was a "Must Have" for our RV purchase.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Considering you are asking about the rear end of the 5er, perhaps I can share my experience, considering I have a TT, but my trailer has a "rear" too. (why not?)

I have double opposing slides on my TT and the entertainment center is in the rear. However, the entertainment center does not go up the full length of wall, only half way, and the upper half is all window. This give full windows on all 3 sides of the living room area.

One thing we DID NOT like, and still do not like about the full wall entertainment centers is the fact it encloses the living room more. We preferred the windows and the surround view.... which is VERY nice by the way:

About the television:

We swapped positions of the couch and 2 chairs to provide more room and access when the slides are in. One thing we can do is move the chairs anywhere, and the couch. So we often turn the couch right in front of the television, or rotate the chairs. They are not fixed or anchored down, so can move anywhere. And nothing is obstructing the absolutely fabulous panorama through the windows all around.

Of course, there are also alternative ways to sit in the chairs too!

Here's our floor plan. If you did not know this was a TT, other than the lack of steps to the upper floor, you'd never be able tell if this is a 5er or a TT floor plan, as may 5ers have this (or very, very similar) floor plans. But for your purposes, just consider the back of the trailer. You may want to re-think having an enclosed wall. There are many models and types of 5er's with this same arrangement in the rear.

Why block your view by having the entertainment center all when you could have windows. The view outside is so much nicer than he view on television!

getontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You everyone,

You brought up some of the same pro's and con's of both options. So many choices. The one thing that is totally driving my decision to go with the rear ET is I can see the tv while working in the kitchen, and we plan to use the floor space for the two older boys to sleep when the decide they want to come along (if they don't want to do the tent option). We only have our 13 year at home with us so she can sleep on the couch.

Thanks Again
Just us
Happy in North Dakota

2006 Ford F150

rich_and_char
Explorer
Explorer
we also looked at both , and we decided on the side entertainment for these reasons ,
1- when parked side by side at a campground we generally keep the day shades down during the day for privacy on that side of the camper so with the shades down and the TV up we don't lose any view.
2- we like the view out of the big back window with out having a TV in the way , or having to put it up and down.
3- our recliners are right across from the TV for strait on viewing, another plus.
For us it's a win , win.
2011 F-350/CC/LB/Drw/6.7L
2013 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS "Pearl Edition" Trail-Air Pin Box
Pullrite 20.5K Super 5th

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
You can put the television on a pull-out, swivel mount and point it toward you when watching.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Have had 2 REs and like the plan. We put sofas in each slide and we layout on the sofa for direct TV viewing in a reclined position. Works for us...but everyone is different...that's why there are different floor plans.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous 2004 Mobile Suites 36RE3 had the rear entertainment (hence, the RE) center. Pros - it was very open and roomy between the recliners and couch; it made it nice when we had guests as we faced each other across the coach. Cons - yeah, the 90 degree thing, but the recliners swiveled, and one of us was generally lying on the couch when watching the rear TV, so it wasn't much of an issue. Also, the TV would pull out and swivel to face either the recliners or couch if desired.

The current MS has the rear couch and side theater seating with the TV on a lift that rises from a cabinet on the opposite side from the theater seats. It's not that different as the theater seats look straight onto the TV, and we still look straight onto the TV while lying on the couch. One benefit of this floor plan is the large rear window which we didn't have with the RE unit - it feels much more open and airy than the RE.

Ya pays yore money and ya takes yore choice...

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We have recliners in slideout and 42" TV straight across in the other slide. We like this floorplan very well. I can't imagine looking sideways at a tv in the rear of the trailer for an extended period of time. I would think my neck would not enjoy that too much.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!