Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bed tonneau covers

MrD
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I would like to find a hard cover that would fit over my hitch, what do you use and how do you like them, do they keep your bed dry?

Thanks
Mike
Mike and Char
2008 Chev 3500HD D/A Ext cab LB D/A 4x4 dually
B&W companion hitch
2013 Arctic Fox 295K ๐Ÿ™‚
60 REPLIES 60

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ependydad wrote:
Lantley wrote:
As other have mentioned. My pin box will contact the track of the rolling cover in a tight unlevel turn turn.
Like tuning left as you exit my driveway.:S
The fatal damage did not occur at once. I tried to adjust and compensate during the turn. Eventually the occasional dings ruined the track and damaged the rolling cover to the point of no return.
I eventually switched to a back flip G2 cover. The back flip mounts differently and does not reduce the size of the bed as much. I prefer the design of the rolling covers like the Retrax which is why I tried to keep using it, but in the end the Retrax simply was not compatible with my pin box.

Thanks Lantley. I have a Retrax and an extended pin box. I haven't noticed a whole lot of contact, but do know that it occurs occasionally.

Guess it's another thing to watch...

It really depends on the entire combo and the terrain. A 1/2" can make all the difference. I've read a couple of threads where the combo and tonneau cover seemed to be well matched until one day that extra sharp turn was made or a sharp turn was made onto a sloping road.
I am aware that uphill left turns of more than 90ยบ can be an issue. I avoid those turns if possible, however I have one of those turns leaving my driveway if I choose to go left. After the issues with the Retrax I now always exit my driveway to the right and avoid the sloping left turn.
If you haven't had any issues you are probably OK, but it is one more thing to watch for.
Unfortunately I don't think there is a one size fits all answer as to which cover will work. Pin box,truck,tire size,hitch and terrain make it hard to determine what tonneau cover is 100% fool proof.
Many covers maybe 98% acceptable, however Murphy's Law thrives on that 2% error rate that will only occur under just the right circumstances.
Like when you are cutting the wheel as tight as possible to clear a tree, in order to make it into a sloping camp site!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
As other have mentioned. My pin box will contact the track of the rolling cover in a tight unlevel turn turn.
The fatal damage did not occur at once. I tried to adjust and compensate during the turn. Eventually the occasional dings ruined the track and damaged the rolling cover to the point of no return.
I eventually switched to a back flip G2 cover. The back flip mounts differently and does not reduce the size of the bed as much. I prefer the design of the rolling covers like the Retrax which is why I tried to keep using it, but in the end the Retrax simply was not compatible with my pin box.

Thanks Lantley. I have a Retrax and an extended pin box. I haven't noticed a whole lot of contact, but do know that it occurs occasionally.

Guess it's another thing to watch...
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ependydad wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I eventually ruined a Retrax cover before eventually going with a Bak Flip G2 cover that fits my set up much better.

How did you ruin your Retrax?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I eventually ruined a Retrax cover before eventually going with a Bak Flip G2 cover that fits my set up much better.

How did you ruin your Retrax?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

notruffinit
Explorer
Explorer
I have the RETRAX and really like it. One problem is that there is no flexibility if I happen to have an item that is a little too tall for the cover to slide over. Can't cover my 3000is if it is in the bed. No problem with the pin box clearance. I like that I can lock up the bed for security.
'11 Ram 3500 Cummins
'12 Cameo 34SB3

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
homefor2 wrote:
When I save up all my allowance, I'm getting a Roll N Lock bed cover. Surprised no one has mentioned it . Very high quality and good reviews. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

I have found that it's not a matter of which cover you like but which cover will fit without contacting pin box in tight turns. While I like them the most,the roll up type seem to be the worst for my scenario.
The tracks used to support the rolling covers interfere with the pin box during tight turns. I eventually ruined a Retrax cover before eventually going with a Bak Flip G2 cover that fits my set up much better.

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
When I save up all my allowance, I'm getting a Roll N Lock bed cover. Surprised no one has mentioned it . Very high quality and good reviews. Expensive but you get what you pay for.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

MrD
Explorer
Explorer
good responces, but I have the same problem as one of the posters, my pin box could hit the side of my box sides if I make too wide a turn and so if I get one with no tracks on the side of the bed or one that can easily be removed when towing.

Thanks
Mike
Mike and Char
2008 Chev 3500HD D/A Ext cab LB D/A 4x4 dually
B&W companion hitch
2013 Arctic Fox 295K ๐Ÿ™‚

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Trifecta. Although the Fold A Cover looks good also.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

Mrsfish1
Explorer
Explorer
X3 for the pace Edward. With the electric, we feel like any equipment we need to carry in our truck is very safe when we travel. Our 5er tailgate has a lock on it, so if someone wants to steal from the bed, they have to squeeze through the dip in the tailgate and then squeeze whatever they're trying to take back through same whole. We put the more valuable things between the cab and the hitch making the hitch a barier. With a motion sensitive remote alarm it now means I don't have to empty the bed of our truck if we stop somewhere.

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I am using an Aceess Vanish roll up cover. Works well and only extends 1/2 inch above bed rails. Easy install and adjustable tension. I like it.

57_Panhead
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric. Pinbox clears in all turns so far. Push a button to open, push a button to close. Got mine on Craigslist at a very good price, after selling the Undercover that was on the truck when I bought it I'm only into the Bedlocker for $200.

Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric

Steve
Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
TruckGuy616 wrote:
Latner wrote:
Fold A Cover here.

Fold-a-Cover here as well. Folds up out of the way when I need to hook up my fifth wheel, so I don't have to remove the cover. I also have their Personal Caddy toolbox.

I have not had any issues with water getting in the bed either.

My Fold-a-Cover is 9 years old, working and looking just fine, would not have any other cover, Highly Recommended.

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
***WARNING*** Truxedo LO PRO - If you have a 2007-2013 Chevy 3500 dually with bed rail protectors ensure that the correct model number is ordered: #57-1501. I ordered mine from RealTrucks and the covers offered were limited to: with or without a bed management system, neither of which will work with a dually with bed rail protectors. So far I haven't found an online supplier for the correct part.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

greenflyingdrag
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using this TriFecta folding cover on my 2010 Silverado and 2010 KZ Durango 5ver. It keeps the bed area dry and contents "out of sight", though a box cutter is all it would take to defeat the little security it provides. Operationally it's worked well - I just fold it forward when towing, and if it needs to be removed altogether that takes five minutes and requires no tools. I see them priced at about $300 locally.

http://www.extangfactoryoutlet.com/Extang-Trifecta/edp_no=1274878/shop.axd/ProductDetails?GTSE=goog&GTKW=Extang+Trifecta