cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best All Year Four Seasons Full Time Fifth Wheels

MeetTheMark
Explorer
Explorer
A true all year, all seasons full time fifth wheel main factor is it has to withstand temps below 0 and above 100 with no issue. Extreme inter rigid construction. Continuous full time living in extreme temps, stand alone house on wheels.
These are the very few, most expensive, heaviest, luxurious "try to play with me" monsters that no other trailer nor fifth comes near.
By actual specs: 40k+ furnaces, 30+ r values and extensive under carriage blown heating (not only just mere heating pads). The largest fifth wheels sheer size and space accommodate what is needed to hold high level specs needed. They are not trailers nor toy haulers. You get what you pay for.

You think not, challenge?
Currently, alot of makers make claims here and there but for the most part, in the end they will not stand up by itself to extensive periods of time through all extreme seasons.
Go to RV Trader, RVT, etc. and put in the highest priced fivers (non toy hauler). Download from each maker's site the pdf spec sheet. You will be shocked. Why are they so pricey, some more expensive than some homes? Construction, durable long lasting - come rain or shine. Old man Canadian winter or Arizona heatwave summer. And, oh yes, let's not play here: You will be paying for the propane to run the beast, but... no skirting needed.
The chosen few are The Stand Alones.

These are the fifth wheels -
Forest River - Cardinal, RiverStone.
Thor - Landmark. DRV - Mobile Suites, Elite Suites.
Crossroads - Redwood.

Independent lines -
Forks RV - Continental Coach (custom made).
New Horizons (custom made (post added and confirmed - you are correct Colliehauler).

Recent Past Orphaned Lines -
Evergreen - Lifestyle Luxury, Bay Hill.
Carriage - Carri Lite, Royals.
DRV - Tradition, Estates.
Newmar - Kountry Aire.
Teton - Royal, Experience.

Note: Popular notions -
Good brands like Cedar Creek, Montana lines are not true 4 seasons fivers. New recent high specs are specialized order, not standard.
Nuwa and orphaned Excel lines lack in overall extreme r values.
Carriage Cameo line falls into the upper mid fiver level, like Montana or Cedar Creek.
Always trusted and respected Arctic Fox's quality line is considered upper mid. Models listed above as best now far exceed AF's specs.

Regards,
Mark
63 REPLIES 63

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim-Linda wrote:
alexbushey wrote:
Bay Hill, The industries most reliable and most insulated 4 season camping fifth wheel on the market. 5 inch block foam insulation with upgraded furnace and insulated under front cap. This video just shows more quality...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_FEXhnyaLE

Just what is your position with the company, must be in advertising. Statement such as you are putting out should be joined by data, not unsupported statements.

Jim

He's a sales rep at a dealership that's mentioned in the linked Youtube video that is not from what I can see associated with Good Sam.
I suspect the member and his post will be deleted shortly.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
alexbushey wrote:
Bay Hill, The industries most reliable and most insulated 4 season camping fifth wheel on the market. 5 inch block foam insulation with upgraded furnace and insulated under front cap. This video just shows more quality...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_FEXhnyaLE

Just what is your position with the company, must be in advertising. Statement such as you are putting out should be joined by data, not unsupported statements.

Jim

Bakken_lady
Explorer
Explorer
New to forum, new to full time. Just bought 2016 Prime Time Sanibel 3901, 5 slides, 42 ft. We are parked in the Bakken, 50 miles from Canada, colder than Minot ND. We have had nothing but problems since hauling it up here. 2 slides cannot close, all 5 leak air, 2 leak water and have water in our storage compartment underneath when it rains. We can't take it anywhere as we are living up here, and Forest River is not really wanting to help us up here. I guess I will find out about the extreme thermo pkg soon as snow is expected Tuesday. It uses quite a bit propane. I don't recommend the Sanibel at this point.

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
shepstone wrote:
If you love the cold you should come to Canada and work construction outside in it full time all winter for months at a time for the last 40 yrs like I do , that will change your mind about loving the cold in a hurry. It amuses me the people that say they like the cold, until they have to work outside in it, where it can dip down to -40 C and lower, for 8 hrs a day 5 days a week for 4 months every winter . Turns em into little girls.. I don't even like watching hockey cause the last thing I want to see is more ice.. Look up "diary of a snow shoveler". Thats why I like to go south for a few weeks in the winter it makes me feel like I have escaped from a wintery prison and pulls me out of a frozen depression. So you want to sit in a 4 season rv and look at the pretty snow ? Come on outside and join me as I work in it . Dont pay any attention to the frost quakes , they only make it sound like the roof on your house or rv is caving in . And when your fingers get frozen to the point you cant feel them, & so you run lukewarm water on them, & then they feel like someone has taken a hammer to them as the feeling comes back.

That didn't sound bitter at all did it ??

I hear ya with your hatred of all things snow and ice. Ice belongs in one place. My Drink :B
I thought I was the only Canadian that hates the thought of paying to go into a frozen building to watch someone chase a hunk of frozen rubber around a frozen surface while I try to keep my feet and hands from freezing in the stands, and some people call that fun.:R
What about the shattered plastic car bumper fascia's when you tap a frozen snowbank with just a little love tap in the middle of winter and the whole darn bumper cover shatters. So much for 5mph bumpers.:M
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

Dan50
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:
If you love the cold you should come to Canada and work construction outside in it full time all winter for months at a time for the last 40 yrs like I do , that will change your mind about loving the cold in a hurry. It amuses me the people that say they like the cold, until they have to work outside in it, where it can dip down to -40 C and lower, for 8 hrs a day 5 days a week for 4 months every winter . Turns em into little girls.. I don't even like watching hockey cause the last thing I want to see is more ice.. Look up "diary of a snow shoveler". Thats why I like to go south for a few weeks in the winter it makes me feel like I have escaped from a wintery prison and pulls me out of a frozen depression. So you want to sit in a 4 season rv and look at the pretty snow ? Come on outside and join me as I work in it . Dont pay any attention to the frost quakes , they only make it sound like the roof on your house or rv is caving in . And when your fingers get frozen to the point you cant feel them, & so you run lukewarm water on them, & then they feel like someone has taken a hammer to them as the feeling comes back.

Naaaa, your golden.
Dan
2014 Ram SLT CC LB 4X4 Cummins Dually
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB

Explorer
Explorer
its time to end this .........

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MeetTheMark wrote:
No, not bitter. Your just od on the snow. I am od on heat and bright, bright sun blaring at me. I love the Mexican food though. Wow. That is cold. You just froze my tanks. I may need to pad, skirt, under heater, car port - the standard extra lame additives that will no longer make him a stand alone. No, I'll need a 2043 model for that one!
There a water values control center in my basement compartment that I really do not think is essential. I may have gotten rolled on that one.

The OP reminds me of the Star Trek The Next Generation episode where the crews mission is to make contact with the Tamarian race. But the Tamarians only communicate through allegory or metaphors which baffles the Enterprise crew.

The alien captain said stuff like "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" and "Temba, his arms wide" while the OP says stuff like "No, not bitter. Your just od on the snow. I am od on heat and bright, bright sun blaring at me. I love the Mexican food though. Wow. That is cold. You just froze my tanks." :H
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MeetTheMark
Explorer
Explorer
No, not bitter. Your just od on the snow. I am od on heat and bright, bright sun blaring at me. I love the Mexican food though. Wow. That is cold. You just froze my tanks. I may need to pad, skirt, under heater, car port - the standard extra lame additives that will no longer make him a stand alone. No, I'll need a 2043 model for that one!

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer

2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

MeetTheMark
Explorer
Explorer
That did it. I read them all - throwing bbq untensils at my tinted storm windows. "Careful with the gel coat!" My favorites were the meds ones, newbie lecturing??? and the Yoda slam.

Some rvers love the cold. I do. What alot of rvers do not realize is that in the north it gets real cold. Serious cold. Not the at 43f and "it's feels cold, honey" concept. The deep cold reality. Long months of frozen. -10f and in 20 minutes outside you will perish without cover. I'm serious. It's costlier to heat in winter up north than to cool in summer in the south. I love the Pennsylvania Poconos and Newport, RI in winter. The only rigs I ever see out fully operating are diesel class A motorhomes and the fivers that are not the standard fivers. Most always the Landmarks, Cardinals, DRVs and toy haulers. People who know winter. They are die hard. You need serious, fail proof stuff. Even if I went to Whistler for a week, I'd still be dreaming of my fiver in my hotel room, especially my own untouched bed and bathroom on wheels.
If my wife wants Montana in dead winter, as long as the roads are clear and the all year rv site is clear and available, we go. I've seen Alpines, Big Country, Sanibel, Big Sky, Arctic Fox, Trilogy (note - these are recommended upper med-high for weather) here and there. The mid to med-high level is rising, still not common for staying 3 long months in winter. Some may not realize that mid to med-high good fivers can break down over long temp periods. I've seen Montanas and Excels freeze up.
As long as the roads are clear and fairly flat passage in winter, why bother with always only just experiencing the sun. She loves the California and Arizona deserts. There nice but that's limited really, not exactly comprehensive traveling. Alberta is awesome in winter. Have you ever done a campfire at 3f at night? The amazing feeling you get in 103f Tucson opening the door of a cooled mere 3 seasons ac trailer? It's even more astounding opening the door of a equipped heated rig frozen in snow at -3f for months, a swift change to 74f and hot water perk from the tap.

RV all year tech will be here for all levels of rvs. Ground landline phone becomes the cell phone becomes the smartphone - smartphones are common. Specs, r values one day will not matter anymore. The 3 seasons term will be passé. Why bother keeping a seasonal rv clock. Throw it away. My clock is ticking away. Experience all the seasons at anytime. Freedom.

"So Put Me On A Highway, Show Me A Sign"(Take It To The Limit-The Eagles).

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Gib3633 wrote:
What was the point about the DRV Mobile Suite because we also have one??
Do we get free nights at KOA or Good Sams or what am I missing?

As near as I can tell, we're supposed to burn 'em to the ground.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
Well:
You have to admit that although none of us figured out the point, that it did keep our attention long enough to read it to the end. I really don't think he read the responses or there would have been less ramblings from him.
What was the point about the DRV Mobile Suite because we also have one??
Do we get free nights at KOA or Good Sams or what am I missing?

Bodie217
Explorer
Explorer
Many folks are wondering why you wouldn't just move to a warmer climate (what's the point of RVing if you're staying put). Well, if you are active and Ski or Snowboard, you're not going to want to leave when winter hits. In a true 4 season RV, you can go to the BEST ski spots and stay in your RV on the cheap. And when it's summer, you can go to the warmest climates too.
2015 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax 5.7L
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS, Hensley SwiftArrow

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Are those Piper planes 4 season rated?

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
I really like pizza.

I cooked pizza on my outdoor grill in an unseasonably cold 19 degrees in N. Carolina a few years back standing outside my KZ Escalade.

...but my sister-in-law never bought one.

Piper makes good airplanes.

(....did I catch the right vibe for the thread? 😉 )
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN