cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bicycles

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a long time truck camper, and am now considering adding a fifth wheel to the mix. I was thinking toy hauler, but only because my wife and I each have bicycles. I know a toy hauler might be overkill for that, but when the grandkids stay, they could sleep in the toy hauler part. But the difference in living space between the two is quite profound (and also price).
For non-toy haulers, if you carry a couple of bikes, how do you haul them? I was thinking of trying to find a way to secure them inside the camper. Not knowing fifth wheels, I don't know if that is practical. I've seen bike racks on the back of some, but it seems a little strange having a bike rack hanging off the back of something so big. Thank you.
27 REPLIES 27

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My basement is big enough for the bikes and that was fine for LONG trips, but not for every weekend. I built a rear bumper just so I could use my old bike rack again, and that's really easy. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
We use one of two options: The best one is when it is just my wife and I, I simply put the bikes in the back seat of the truck with the seats folded up of course. This is by far the best way as it keeps them out of the elements and from theft. Once in awhile when we have others with us then we use our 4 place bike rack on the rear of the fifth wheel as it has a 2" receiver.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
way2roll wrote:
When we originally looked at FW's I really liked the toy hauler models where the door could make a patio.

We wound up currently with a toy hauler and it came with the patio option...we've never actually sat out on it. Other than to show off around the campground, I've never seen much use for it.

It did make it darn easy when we swapped out couches. No tilting the couch on end and spinning it thru a 24" wide door.

I certainly wouldn't go toyhauler if just for a couple of bikes. If you compare two 35ft 5ers, the living space in the toy hauler is tiny by comparison.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I added a receiver to the front of my truck. The front hitch mount was bolt on and was very easy to install. It has a 2inch receiver and then I bought a hitch mounted bike rack. It does not block the radiator because if you look at your bikd from the side, there is a lot of "open" area. It does not block my view either.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
We mounted a front hitch to our F350. Put both of our bikes on there. You can clearly see them and the view of the road isn't obstructed. We use a bike rack that the bikes rest on their wheels and not hanging. It works very well for us. Only drawback is that they do catch a few bugs.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
CYCLEPATH wrote:
I have to plead ignorance. When you say bunkhouse, or bunk room, do you mean the room at the far end of the camper? I am fifth wheel ignorant. I use a hitch extension with a Thule rack, on my Lance. I can see the bikes in my mirror. With the fifth wheel, it seems like your bikes are in a different time zone.

Besides price, is the main downside of the toy hauler the decreased amount of living space? I was quite surprised the first time I went to a dealer and saw that they were more expensive. I would have thought the opposite. If the weather is decent, Iโ€™d rather sit outside, anyway. Thank you all for the replies.

When we originally looked at FW's I really liked the toy hauler models where the door could make a patio.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
I have to plead ignorance. When you say bunkhouse, or bunk room, do you mean the room at the far end of the camper? I am fifth wheel ignorant. I use a hitch extension with a Thule rack, on my Lance. I can see the bikes in my mirror. With the fifth wheel, it seems like your bikes are in a different time zone.

Besides price, is the main downside of the toy hauler the decreased amount of living space? I was quite surprised the first time I went to a dealer and saw that they were more expensive. I would have thought the opposite. If the weather is decent, Iโ€™d rather sit outside, anyway. Thank you all for the replies.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 2 electric bikes inside my bunkhouse 5th wheel. Transporting them inside keeps bikes out of weather and eliminates security issues.

Same here. We have 2 full size electric bikes and put one in the bunkroom and one on top of the dinette. On my old fiver I had a receiver on the back but the rear takes a lot of bumps and my bike holder was starting to bend and this was without electric bikes which are heavier just 2 standard bikes and the rack was a Yakima. so after that I just started putting them inside

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a former 5er I mounted a $35 Wal*Mart trunk bike carrier to the underside of an upper fold up bunk. I did have to reinforce the slide pins to handle the weight of 3 bikes.
On the current 5er they ride on a ladder rack vertically with seats removed.
Puma 30RKSS

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
We carry two bikes in our front storage bin with the front wheels off and the forks in holders I mounted to the floor and the bikes each face the opposite direction, of course we have no generator or prepped for one.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I put my lightest road bike on a ladder rack and 2 other bikes in the bed of the truck between the cab and the hitch.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
Martyn wrote:
โ€ฆโ€ฆ.
As for the hitch mounted on the pin - that would be better for long bed trucks, where turning and hitting the cab with the bikes may not be an issue. Plus, at 74, I don't think I could lift a bike that high any more. ๐Ÿ™‚

I just backed the truck to within 3โ€™ or so of the pin box with the tailgate lowered, lifted the bikes in the the truck bed, stepped up in the bed, and set the bikes on the rack. Not hard like that. And reverse to get them off. And I am 77.

Easy to see them in the mirror and no bouncing at all. I know a lot of bikes are carried on the rear with no problems. But I have also seen enough of them bouncing like crazy back there that I did not want to chance it.

In another discussion another poster had a 4 bike rack on their pinbox, and short bed truck no issues.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Martyn wrote:
โ€ฆโ€ฆ.
As for the hitch mounted on the pin - that would be better for long bed trucks, where turning and hitting the cab with the bikes may not be an issue. Plus, at 74, I don't think I could lift a bike that high any more. ๐Ÿ™‚

I just backed the truck to within 3โ€™ or so of the pin box with the tailgate lowered, lifted the bikes in the the truck bed, stepped up in the bed, and set the bikes on the rack. Not hard like that. And reverse to get them off. And I am 77.

Easy to see them in the mirror and no bouncing at all. I know a lot of bikes are carried on the rear with no problems. But I have also seen enough of them bouncing like crazy back there that I did not want to chance it.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some bunkhouse models of fifth wheels and travel trailers have bike doors and fold up bunks. So you can load the bikes right inside. That is the kind of TT that I have. So we put the bunks up and load the bikes inside. When we get to our destination take the bikes out and put the bunks down (if the bunks are needed - if not we can use the space for storage). Here is one example, there are many different brands and sizes with the same basic principle.
Clicky