cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blew out back RH window with my camper tonight,,,, Confused

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
So I managed to hit the truck with the camper tonight on the passenger side and blow out the window and dent the cab but I am confused.

I am running a non slider hitch, The Anderson setup on a short bed. I know I really should have a slider but I went with the Anderson to save weight.

Here is the confusion... When i first tested the setup I was able to turn to the left on flat ground rolling forward to just shy of 90 deg...

I hit the cab tonight during a right turn moving forward not much past 75 deg on totally flat ground.

I never tested a hard right turn I just assumed that since a left turn didnt hit, the right wouldn't either...

What am i missing? Why did i hit on the right turn?

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

129 REPLIES 129

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
omextreme wrote:
arnko37 wrote:
Shortly after getting a new 2013 GMC 2500 HD I blew out the rear window while backing up. The hitch is a slider. Ever since I tow with the hitch slid back. No problems. However I would not do this on a slippery road. Since some weight is taken off the front axle there is a risk that should you try to turn you may keep on going straight ahead. The light steering axle will have less traction when there is less weight on it.

Are slider hitches rated to tow full time when slid?

B&W, definitely NOT, according to them. Personally, I wouldn't trust the hitch to hold in an emergency stop and now you've given your FW about a 12-14" "head start" in ramming forward, should the latch break. You'll have =something= in the cab with you if that happens.

Lyle

Agree. I had a 16K Reece slider doe years back on a SB truck and it was stated NOT to tow with it in extended position...
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
omextreme wrote:
arnko37 wrote:
Shortly after getting a new 2013 GMC 2500 HD I blew out the rear window while backing up. The hitch is a slider. Ever since I tow with the hitch slid back. No problems. However I would not do this on a slippery road. Since some weight is taken off the front axle there is a risk that should you try to turn you may keep on going straight ahead. The light steering axle will have less traction when there is less weight on it.

B&W, definitely NOT, according to them. Personally, I wouldn't trust the hitch to hold in an emergency stop and now you've given your FW about a 12-14" "head start" in ramming forward, should the latch break. You'll have =something= in the cab with you if that happens.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
arnko37 wrote:

Don_A_L
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

I broke my back window while backing up. My car insurance covered it under my glass replacement rider in my policy. No deductible.
I have a Curt 20k slider hitch, but I can't use it because when I slide it back, the back of the pin box is about 1/4" from hitting the tailgate. ????.

Don

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought the 2014 in January! It only has 6k miles on it..... still the thought is in the back of my mind. If it were not for the fact we bought the 5th wheel 4 months back and now have to replenish savings I would consider the upgrade.....

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
omextreme wrote:
Well looks like we are going to just replace the glass only, As far a the hitch issues...

Went to dodge this morning to see if they could convert me to a long bed, The dealer quoted me 13k to make my 2014 SB into a 2016 LB..... Wish i could !! LOL

You need a dually anyway! Just go for it! Chris

X2
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
omextreme wrote:
Well looks like we are going to just replace the glass only, As far a the hitch issues...

Went to dodge this morning to see if they could convert me to a long bed, The dealer quoted me 13k to make my 2014 SB into a 2016 LB..... Wish i could !! LOL

You need a dually anyway! Just go for it! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
omextreme wrote:

You may as well go ahead with your claim because it is already on your record!!! Don't believe me just call them.

There was a reason I said call and say hypothetically, unfortunately your Agent is a dumb aZZ and told you bogus info.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Probably true Ken... was not aware that it couldn't happen
on an 8 ft. bed.

(the front of my AF has the indents that I believe are also
good prophylaxis).

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
cdlaine wrote:
From lemons to lemonade...

I see opportunity... how about a proximity warning sensor alarm
within the cab. Someone take it to Shark Tank !

Charles

No need. That is why they make 8' bed trucks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
From lemons to lemonade...

I see opportunity... how about a proximity warning sensor alarm
within the cab. Someone take it to Shark Tank !

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the situation of a comp claim versus collision, pull out your policy and read the section on Collision. See if it says anything about the vehicle moving makes it a collision by definition. Reason I say this is if your vehicle is sitting still and hit by another vehicle it's a collision. If you are moving and hit an animal, it's a comp claim. I'd read the section, then ask why and a second opinion as I've seen adjusters be wrong many times.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Best to be truthful , insurance adjusters aren't all stupid, I work with them on fire insurance claims a fair bit. They have seen a lot of stuff and can tell the difference, if they think you are lying there can be a lot of hassle , delaying, denying, outright policy cancellation (good luck getting insurance after that one) etc
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0