cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bought a new truck.

dbcoop
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I have a question. In the past when I've had the half ton hooked up to the 5th everything was level. I just upgraded to an 2015 f350 and hooked up the trailer to bring it home from the lake campground. It towed awesome but it appears to sit a bit higher on the front end. Is this a concern?

Dave

[img][/img]
2013 komfort 5th 27 ft
2015 f350 fx4
20 REPLIES 20

dbcoop
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I apologize for stating the obvious, but you might want to check the air pressure in the 5er's tires to make sure they are aired up before doing anything. And the truck too for that matter.

DBCOOP - You know there's a lot of people looking for you - right ?

Tim

Wrong cooper I promise lol ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dave
2013 komfort 5th 27 ft
2015 f350 fx4

dbcoop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys guys but ive decided to make a few adjustments to even things out a bit.if I could post a pic with my tablet, of the rear axle you would agree. Hit a big bump and those tires are hitting the wheel well for sure.

Dave
2013 komfort 5th 27 ft
2015 f350 fx4

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for stating the obvious, but you might want to check the air pressure in the 5er's tires to make sure they are aired up before doing anything. And the truck too for that matter.

DBCOOP - You know there's a lot of people looking for you - right ?

Tim

przao
Explorer
Explorer
wirenutz wrote:
jay5er wrote:
The only real problem I can think of as long as you have bed clearence is tire wear.

and the extra weight on the back axles, they may not be rated for that much weight

We ran into the same problem switching from a 2500 to a 3500 - the trailer was higher up front than it was before. The RV technicians said that sometimes the axles are moved to raise the back of the trailer by various methods but that it was not possible in our case. They also mentioned that when the front of the fiver runs higher than the rear, the front trailer axles are experiencing less weight while the back axle is taking a beating all dependent on how high the front is.

At the end of the day for us, the slightly higher ride up front does not make towing any different, and the tires and bearings all seem to be okay - this after about 5000 miles of travel
PZ

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about it. You will probably soon be reminded of the problem with buying a new truck. It will soon be followed by a new trailer, so you can start over.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, once it is full of all of your stuff, plus, maybe a full tank of water, it may not sit nose high..
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

dbcoop
Explorer
Explorer
Well pictures wont work from my tablet for some reason but I did the can of pop test and I have almost enough room for a can and a half of pop. Looks like I can move my hitch down to the last setting and my king pin up to itslast setting. If that doesnt help it may be axle flipping time.

Thanks to all who posted.

Dave
2013 komfort 5th 27 ft
2015 f350 fx4

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
If you do make adjustments to the hitch or pin box make sure you torque the fasteners to the proper torque.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

dbcoop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Storage only for a few weeks. Just dont have rv parking at the house. Still have half of summer and hunting season to go. I will have it hooked up tomorrow and will take a few pics. Hopefully get it sorted out. It is duel axel but it still looked like there was pressure on the 2nd axel compared to the front.

Thanks again

Dave
2013 komfort 5th 27 ft
2015 f350 fx4

Ronandpat
Explorer
Explorer
The F350 is really high compared to earlier models of trucks. My current 5er is running high on the nose by about 3 inches. The hitch is as low as it goes and the axles are already flipped. There is about 5 inches of clearance between the bed rails and the underside of the camper. I have pulled it this way for 4 years now without a problem.
WE GO WHERE WE ARE TOWED!
Ron, SOP and the SOC
N9LRO
Greentown, In
2016 Coachman Chapparal 336TSIK
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
Dave,

Other option as I have read on here is to flip the axles if possible to help level the rig out.

It's scary to hear you are already getting the 5ver ready for winter storage! I know the time up to now this summer has gone by even faster! Does it ever slow down???

Congrats on the new tow beast!

Alberta goes a long way North!!
I hope the OP got good usage for your short camping season.

We are blessed to live in a climate that allows four season camping. Good luck on getting the height adjusted. I like a little more than The Mad Norsky suggested, closer to 6" to the bed, but between lowering hitch and/or raising the pin box you should be able to work it out.

Good starting place is to measure bed height with the 5er attached, then disconnect the 5er, level it on level ground, and measure the distance to the ground from the bottom of the upper area, the difference should be about 6", if not then you may need to rais the trailer a bit.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I would level it loaded for a trip. I set mine up when we first got it. It was level but when we loaded it for travel the nose was slightly low and I had to adjust the hitch 1" higher.
I would agree with others that it is important to maintain 6" clearance to the top of your pickup box.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:h Don't we need to find out what a "bit" higher is before we start flipping axles and other drastic measures?

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Dave,

Other option as I have read on here is to flip the axles if possible to help level the rig out.

It's scary to hear you are already getting the 5ver ready for winter storage! I know the time up to now this summer has gone by even faster! Does it ever slow down???

Congrats on the new tow beast!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.