cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Call the weight police, can't believe what I'm looking at!

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I try not to get involved in "weight police" issues, but I've got to comment on what I'm looking at. I've had a couple of big fivers a 31' and 33'. So, I'm not a newbie.

We came back into the campground this afternoon and there is a five slide 38' Montana Big Sky in a nearby site. I've always liked that unit. It has an attached trailer with a beautiful Harley trike. Wife commented that it was being pulled by a 2500. I said, "Are you sure?"

I went back to take a second look. Sure enough it was a Chevy 2500. No way that guy can be within towing limits. Anybody got an idea of what kind of weight that guy is towing and his pin weight?
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
103 REPLIES 103

bstow
Explorer
Explorer
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
MPI_Mallard wrote:
I just wish we had a separate road for "yahoo's" with half azzed set-up's and a separate road for those of us with proper trucks that can safely do the job!!!

Red Green:
Some people are like slinkies....they serve no
function in life; but they still bring a smile to your
face when you push them down a flight of stairs!

You seem to imply that there is a direct relationship between choice of equipment and safety while in motion.

LOL for your "men's prayer"

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I'm almost too scared to go outside with this thread
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
SKGCRD wrote:
bad99ram wrote:
He should just rebadge his Truck. Take off the 2500 Trim and replace it with 3500. Keeps the nosey old buzzards away.

Ditto!!!

Didn't make a GMC 3500 SWR in "03". Suppose the nosey old buzzards would know that? LOL

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how the OP gets into his RV? That 4' nose has to make it hard to reach doors.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

SKGCRD
Explorer
Explorer
bad99ram wrote:
He should just rebadge his Truck. Take off the 2500 Trim and replace it with 3500. Keeps the nosey old buzzards away.

Ditto!!!
2007 Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins (stock) 48re (built)
Air lift
Soon to be 2014 Silverback 37BH
Tri-Glide P3

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Francesca Knowles wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

I am under all weights except GVWR,

I s'pose this is a dumb question, but if there's an obvious explanation I missed it:

If you're under all individually measured weights, where does the extra come from that puts GVWR over the limit?

Here are my ratings 2001 2500 Camper Package, package include over size tires 265/75 -16 E (3,415#) over stock 245/75 -16 E (3,042#).
FGAWR 5,200
RGAWR 6,084
Total axle rating 11,284
GVWR 8,800
My GVWR is only 78% of total axle rating, it doesn't reflect extra load capacity of camper package with one ton springs and sway bar.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
Yeah, that's a pretty big boy to be pulled with a 3/4. Maybe he lives around the corner and never goes anywhere else. Prolly worthy of a citation! ๐Ÿ™‚

That's prolly gregarious of you!.:S..

Good enough for recruit WP status.

Three more prollys and you pass probation..:R

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
So you are all so positive that he is so far over weight that the truck is going to break in two!

Did you get to see the GVWR and Payload sticker on the door jam?

Did you weigh his truck, and trailer and determine he is over weight, and how far. Did you look to see if the truck was bagged?

Yes that is a good size 5er, but might be closer than you think. :R

No, did none of that, will have to take someone's word for it, but did you see his GVWR or payload sticker on the doorjamb? Air bags to level the load...didn't see a picture...

I'm not positive of anything except my trucks specs, my 5er's specs, GVW, RAWR, FAWR and GCWR and I have all the weights...under everything:)

Almost X2 to that!

I just have a small problem with "I have all the weights...under everything"

That would be "almost" "I have all the weights...under everything"

I am under all weights except GVWR, and while not an excuse, I would several 250/2500 owners on here are also. I am just a bit over, Cummins12V98, and you may be able come close to figuring what I am over.
I was sure I would be over some, and used a highly scientific method of determining if I would be close enough and OK. Before signing the papers I dropped the 5er on the hitch, and lifted the landing gear and moved to a flat location. Truck was a little better than level and the 5er was a bit nose high. I have never looked back on that decision.
I don't recommend for others, but it has worked fine for me, don't have bags or Timbern's don't need them.

There are many that think that 12,000 5er is Dually territory, well what will they say when the Aluminum bodied F150 looses 700# of weight, and doesn't reduce the GVWR, they will have a payload near a 350/3500 SRW!

Don't know the specific weights of my 98 12V 2500 RAM 4X4 Quad Cab and Avion Platinum 32.5' (actual length) but the truck sat level with no bags and handled the load well. The combined weight was 20,500#.

I can tell you there is no way I would have towed a longer or heavier RV with that truck.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
So you are all so positive that he is so far over weight that the truck is going to break in two!

Did you weigh his truck, and trailer and determine he is over weight, and how far. Did you look to see if the truck was bagged?

No, did none of that, will have to take someone's word for it, but did you see his GVWR or payload sticker on the doorjamb? Air bags to level the load...didn't see a picture...

I'm not positive of anything except my trucks specs, my 5er's specs, GVW, RAWR, FAWR and GCWR and I have all the weights...under everything:)

Almost X2 to that!

I am under all weights except GVWR, and while not an excuse, I would several 250/2500 owners on here are also. I am just a bit over, Cummins12V98, and you may be able come close to figuring what I am over.
I was sure I would be over some, and used a highly scientific method of determining if I would be close enough and OK. Before signing the papers I dropped the 5er on the hitch, and lifted the landing gear and moved to a flat location. Truck was a little better than level and the 5er was a bit nose high. I have never looked back on that decision.
I don't recommend for others, but it has worked fine for me, don't have bags or Timbern's don't need them.

There are many that think that 12,000 5er is Dually territory, well what will they say when the Aluminum bodied F150 looses 700# of weight, and doesn't reduce the GVWR, they will have a payload near a 350/3500 SRW!

12,500 GVW isn't dually territory, heck, I towed a 14,000# 5er with an 03 2500 Chevy 2500HD D/A ext/cab, short bed 4X4...loaded to a little over 13,000#.....did have airbags on to help level the load...but the 03' 2500 isn't the same as today's 2500's....heck, the 2014 Ram 2500, though it can't match payload, has a GCWR of 25,000#..that's more than my 2010 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4 with 4:10....

3/4 tons have come a long way....just may be limited some with their payload rating.

but agree, 12,000# 5er is 2500HD territory....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

I am under all weights except GVWR,

I s'pose this is a dumb question, but if there's an obvious explanation I missed it:

If you're under all individually measured weights, where does the extra come from that puts GVWR over the limit?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Almost X2 to that!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
YnotTurbo wrote:
I looked up a new 38' Montana with 4 slides and it has a dry weight of 12,751 lbs. and a pin weight of 2270 lbs. Add the bike and a few other things such as food, propane and gear and he should roughly 13,000 plus. If he has a new Dodge 2500, not a problem. If it is an older 2500, I would say he is over. Don't know all the facts about truck and rv. This is only a quick snap shot.

If it has a "dry weight" of 12,751, you think adding a bike and a "few other things" would only load it to 13,000# "plus"....Again, I wonder what the actual GVW is of the unit, I would think GVW would be closer to 15,670 or so, putting pin weight more like, again, 3000#.....
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet