cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you have to much tire?

jgos929
Explorer
Explorer
What I mean is my toy hauler has a GVWR of 8800# and wears 225/75/15 D range tires. My local discount tire doesn't have any D tires in stock but is making me a deal on a set of E range tires for the same price. Are there any adverse effects of going to a tire with a higher load range? I wouldn't think so but I figured I'd ask around

Thanks
TV: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab HEMI
TT: 2006 KZ Jag 29JB
16 REPLIES 16

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
bkirkpatrick wrote:
I thought the issues with the Carlisles and the Chinese ones were with the D rated tires. Not to resurrect the dead on this.

Mine were 80 psi, E- rated, 2800# Tow Master or Max tires on a 7500# TT?
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the issues with the Carlisles and the Chinese ones were with the D rated tires. Not to resurrect the dead on this.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
jgos929 wrote:
The Carlisle's i got are their top of the line tire "trail rh" and they told me theyre made in their US factory. So i feel good knowing that.

Please keep us updated. It looks like Carlisle steped up on the rh design. Time will be the real test. All tires preform well when new.
MM49

jgos929
Explorer
Explorer
The Carlisle's i got are their top of the line tire "trail rh" and they told me theyre made in their US factory. So i feel good knowing that.

GT_Roach
Explorer
Explorer
Our toy hauler used the same size and I found out that with 15inch ST (RV)tires all were ''China bombs'' well known to fail prematurely. I decided to upgrade to 16 inch, 80psi 3000lb rated rims and Michelin AT tires. We have friends that had both ''China bombs'' fail on the same side of their fifth wheel that caused a fair amount of damage. If you have the room I would switch but I know you probably won't want to spend the money but in my mind the peace of mind is worth it.

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
If they're made in CHINA shop for another tire as there is no deal worthy of damage caused by an exploding tire. Maxxis is very reliable or perhaps Michelin RIB.

I agree! I did the "upgrade LOL" like the OP is thinking about and was is the exact same situation with 5 new tires and ended up with $2500 worth of damage. Wheels were always torqued, psi max, temp. checked during every trip with infrared gun and BOOM! Could be unsafe and costly don't risk it if you have the $. MFG determined that tread separation was to blame on all 3! Have a new TH now and drove across the street after signing and bought new truck tires for it.
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

jgos929
Explorer
Explorer
I searched Carlisle on here and most of what I found was good reviews. Apparently they had some issues several years ago but I talked to Discount this morning and the date stamp on the Carlisle's I'll be getting is September 2013. So they're fairly new production tires. I'll take my chances with them especially since Im getting a warranty.

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running the new Carlisle's because they are available and half were replaced by warranty from Discount Tire. Discount stopped carrying the GreenBall TowMaster tires. About 1000 miles so far, no issues. But I will replace them in a year or so, I am saving up for some 16" rims and commercial tires. This is a new design, supposed to be better than the previous but only time will tell.

If the Maxxis were readily available I might have chosen those, good luck finding someone that has them.

You will like the E rated over the D rated and no, there is no such thing as too much tire when the price is the same.
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
jgos929 wrote:
They're made by Carlisle

Don't do it............RUN!

Do a search on Carlisle tires on this forum.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer E rated tires. I don't think it is possible to have too much tire as far as ply rating. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If they're made in CHINA shop for another tire as there is no deal worthy of damage caused by an exploding tire. Maxxis is very reliable or perhaps Michelin RIB.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If they are "ST" then there is no way to have too much tire.
16" LT might be just enough.

jgos929
Explorer
Explorer
They're made by Carlisle

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing with Discount. Same size in fact. Just make sure that your rims are rated for the higher pressure of an "E" tire (80 psi). The max pressure for the rims are usually stamped on them on the inside part of the rim.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)