cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cargo Carrying Capacity CCC

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
The wife and I were looking a new fifth wheel yesterday. It was a Coachmen Chapparal 336TSIK. The trailer is 37ft long. What I was really surprised and disappointed in was that the CCC was only 1484lbs on this particular unit. I don't know but that seems awfully low for a 37 ft fifth wheel. Thoughts?

Thanks, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.
13 REPLIES 13

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Since 2007 this is what the regulations have said about propane and water.

If applicable, the weight of full propane tanks must be included in the RV's UVW and the weight of on-board potable water must be treated as cargo.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes carrying capacity numbers include water already. The brochure for my fifth wheel shows a carrying capacity of about 3000 lbs, but the sticker in the unit shows the empty weight, full load of water weight and then a correspondingly lower carrying capacity based off the same gross weight as is reported in the brochure. I don't really worry about it too much and frankly haven't nor do I plan to bother with weighing it.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach has a GVW of 13,800. Dry wt is 10,800. Loaded for trip is 12,800 yet can't think of anything else we need to carry. Some stuff could be done away with probly.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
1,484# iis a very low CCC for a 37' fiver. We manage to carry an easy 1,200# in our 32' fiver. This would be a deal breaker if it were us, this means the unit is already pushing the limit of tires, axles and springs.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
We have 1500 lbs of ccc on our 35 ft 15 k fiver,7k axels,g rated tires,thats a lot of stuff,we have stayed in it for 4 months plus.You do have to keep an eye on stuff you rarely use to keep the weight down.

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the OP here. Just seems that the CCC is light compared to size. Agreed on axles, tires and everything near the road. If you go with this rig, just be diligent on your weights. Love the floor plan...
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Frames and axles determine a trailers GVWR and CCC. Higher rated axles does not mean more CCC in all cases.
Don't assume anything.......Give the trailer manufacturer in question a 1-800 for their say.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cheap axles, cheap brakes, cheap tires did I mention cheap??????

These RV's are built to barely carry them selves. Why??? Because everyone wants to be able to tow a BIG RV with a 250/2500.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a verbatim quote from a NHTSA Q&A PDF.

" The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use."

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
tunatundra wrote:
Sorry for the duplicate info but we are looking at this model also. The experts will have to chime in but I would think CCC is dependent on strength of axles.
We plan to add a few more options that are not on any lot we know of and don't know if heavier axles are an option.
The Chapparals (full size not lite or x-lite) comes with two different axles.
The 336TSIK comes with Dexter 5200 lb axles. The others have 7,000 lb axles.
Maybe you could order this one with heavier axles??

I have the brochure in front of me. The 336TSIK and one other have GVWR's in the 12,000 lbs range, all the others are 14,000 to 15,000 lbs. That definately shows they are putting the minimum axle under the trailer. Definately love this floor plan. The fit and finish was very good. Got a good feeling from dealer.(Bill's Camper Sales, St.Joseph, Mo.) But I think I am going to wait and do some more research. Thanks.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

tunatundra
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the duplicate info but we are looking at this model also. The experts will have to chime in but I would think CCC is dependent on strength of axles.
We plan to add a few more options that are not on any lot we know of and don't know if heavier axles are an option.
The Chapparals (full size not lite or x-lite) comes with two different axles.
Rusty & Lana
2017 Cougar 333MKS
2016 F250 Diesel

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, it's all about the axles. I sure wouldn't want a 37' FW with less than adequate axles, springs, and poor tires.

I am sure the axles could be upgraded, if odered.

Jerry

tunatundra
Explorer
Explorer
The Chaparrals (full size not lite or x-lite) comes with two different axles.
Rusty & Lana
2017 Cougar 333MKS
2016 F250 Diesel