cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning fuel cell

jtaubrey
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a used Jayco Toy hauler that has the fuel tanks in the back. I thought the toy tank was empty so I put about 15 gallons of gasoline in it and went to the races with our family. I filled up one of the dirtbikes and thought the gas looked a little "green". Low and behold it clogged the jets on one of the dirtbikes. My question is once I pump all of the gasoline out of there is there a way to clean/treat the tank to get whatever is in there out?
8 REPLIES 8

jtaubrey
Explorer
Explorer
Cool, I will drop some seafoam in both the generator tank and the toy tank.

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
Seafoam is known for restoring bad gas back to usable gas. Everytime I fill up my tank I put a can of Seafoam in. Cleans the tank, pump, and the carbs on the generator and bikes.....thats like 5 birds with one stone!
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!

jtaubrey
Explorer
Explorer
I pumped out everything, cleaned the pump with brake cleaner, and will fill it full next time out and put stabil and seafoam in it at that time. It was pretty green when I emptied it out.

Slated4Greatnes
Explorer
Explorer
Seafoam is a good idea also.
2004 WW SLC3505
Truma tankless WH, 6V's, LEDs inside/out, Flipped axles Michelin LTX's.

2006 F350 Tow Boss W/Training wheels
(Bulletproofed) ARP's, Decked blk/heads, BPD Remote OC, EGR & WP, Snow H20, 4.30:1, SCT W/GH, FS bags, 6" Aus Stax, Train Horns.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Or just pump out all the fuel, add about a gallon or so and drive it around to slosh it around, then dump that. Repeat until clean. I know at $4.00 a gallon may not be economical but dropping the tank may be a royal PITA.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
your best bet is probably to remove the tank; put in some gas and slosh it around a bunch then dump out the old fuel

maybe add an inline filter
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

jtaubrey
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Is there no in-line fuel filter between the tank and nozzle? My WW has one that I change every couple of years. Have never cleaned the tank but would think you would have to drop the tank to get it flushed out.

I don't think there is a filter there..I will double check and see.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Is there no in-line fuel filter between the tank and nozzle? My WW has one that I change every couple of years. Have never cleaned the tank but would think you would have to drop the tank to get it flushed out.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch