cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

closing sliders

SRQ_Suzanne
Explorer
Explorer
I left my new-to-me 5th wheel at the end of the season with pool "noodles" on one of my slide outs to avoid banged heads when it is out. Should I drive 6 hours round trip to remove the "noodles" and re- close the sliders to avoid leaks? Also, my unit says the battery must be on to open the slide outs. Will they operate on just battery power or should I hook up my electric temporarily?
12 REPLIES 12

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Slide outs will only effectively seal when completely retracted or extended.

Pool noodles left in place when slide out was retracted will interfere with slide out sealing

Looks like a road trip.

X2, totally agree.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
Well I live and learn! Thank you!
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anmacc2 wrote:
MFL wrote:

Trying to learn by asking questions... Why is the slide more vulnerable if it isn't completely closed or completely open? I often open mine just a foot or so and am now wondering if I'm something wrong. Thanks.

Not knowing what slide system you have but if it's a Schwintek you will get your slide motors out of sync if you don't fully deploy them in one continuous action.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
is it friday yet? wrote:
Your slide outs have a gasket on both inside edges. If you don't open or close it all the way, neither gasket will be touching you camper sidewall and water could come in. The thin rubber sweep may not prevent water from coming in.

Yes, this ^^^ If you look around the slide, when out a foot or so, you will usually see light showing in several areas. It does not hurt if you need to do this temporarily, but I would not leave the RV unattended long term.

Jerry

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
Your slide outs have a gasket on both inside edges. If you don't open or close it all the way, neither gasket will be touching you camper sidewall and water could come in. The thin rubber sweep may not prevent water from coming in.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I think the OP means that the slides are closed with the noodles in place. If this is the case, I would make the long drive to close the slides without restriction, to avoid possible damage from leaks, bugs, or rodents.
Jerry

Trying to learn by asking questions... Why is the slide more vulnerable if it isn't completely closed or completely open? I often open mine just a foot or so and am now wondering if I'm something wrong. Thanks.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

allimax
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me, on March 23, if there is to be a problem, it has already happened. However, with rain season approaching, it might be best to make the trip.
2010 Montana 3455SA
Mor/Ride kingpin, wet bolts, Progressive Ind. HW-50C EMS,TST 507RV TPMS, GY G614's
'07.5 Silverado D/A LMM 3500HD
Extended Cab DRW 4x4 LTZ
Bilstein, Reese R20, Banks Economind tuner, Speedbrake, RamAir, Monster exhaust

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slide outs will only effectively seal when completely retracted or extended.

Pool noodles left in place when slide out was retracted will interfere with slide out sealing

Looks like a road trip.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
I think the OP means that the slides are closed with the noodles in place. If this is the case, I would make the long drive to close the slides without restriction, to avoid possible damage from leaks, bugs, or rodents.

A charged battery will operate the slides, or take good jumper cables to jump from vehicle to trailer battery if needed.

Jerry

X2

Do you have a true battery disconnect switch?? If so and your battery is in decent shape, it will run the slides in and out several times.
Otherwise parasitic draws will run it down in a couple weeks.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

A charged battery will operate the slides, or take good jumper cables to jump from vehicle to trailer battery if needed.

Jerry

Moved from Forum Technical Support

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Your slides should not leak while open if the seals are in good condition. (Conversely, a slide can leak either in or out if seals are in poor condition.)

Slides will operate on battery power unless your batteries are getting low.