cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condensation on Windows - what do you do

BARRY2010
Explorer
Explorer
Hi fellow campers, been awhile since I posted so thanks for taking time to read my post Just curious what you do to help or possibly stop condensation from forming on the inside of your windows while winter camping. Granted I don't have double pane Windows ( which would be nice ) just standard Windows. We camped this weekend and lows were around 30 and highs were only 45 so I typically run a ceramic heater as much as I can to save on propane but the furnace would occasionally kick on to keep it toasty inside - about 70 degrees. Ever so often I would take a bath towel and wipe the windows down because of all the condensation. Water would actually be standing in the bottom metal frame of the window. I've tried opening a window on each side of the camper just a little but that didn't seem to help either. I've read somewhere that you could put saran wrap on the Windows - didn't know if that would work or not - seems like that would be a lot of work considering the blinds and all you would have to contend with. Just looking for advise from the pros. Thanks again and happy camping.
15 REPLIES 15

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously outside humidity will play into the equation, but....I think (as previously mentioned) that the warmer inside, the more inside “perspiration”! We do a lot of cool (outside temps from low teens to below 0 F) weather boondocking, therefore....to save on batteries and propane we keep the inside temps fairly low ( 57 while sleeping, 62 the rest of time). We do not open vents ( though we’re in/out through the door fairly often), and never have a humidity problem. Also, we do not run any additional heat...forced air only (which also contributes to air movement). Water (humidity) is a byproduct of an open flame ( cooking/open flame heat,etc).
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I got to tell ya living in the NW we gets LOTS of mold and moisture and after getting tired of replacing crystals and dumping the liquid from the Dri-ez Etc... I found the EVA- dry rechargeable units that last 10 years or so and they work AWESOME and I will never go back to anything else do yourself a favor and spend the money on these https://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-333-Renewable-Dehumidifier-2-PACK/dp/B00LVN7BM0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1513235432&sr=8-5&keywords=eva+dry
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
we have a small dehumidifier but haven't used it camping yet. we now have it running with the trailer in its covered stoage.it sure keeps it dry and smelling like new.
Jay D.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
JerryandSusie wrote:
Good ventilation is the key. We crack the roof vents. When you are cooking make sure to run the stove vent fan. We tried cracking a few windows but that didn't seem to help as much as using the roof vents.

X2
God Bless!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"to keep it toasty inside - about 70 degrees"

IMO that is too warm for an RV with condensation issues.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Wally World and buy 2 clip on fans. Just need to keep the air moving.
Dennis Hoppert

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
We use our fireplace for heat.....and always use the dehumidifier. A little condensations in the mornings but once the dehumidifier is on.........the condensation goes away.
cpaulsen

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We did ok last January on the coast, always ran the Vortex bath fan when showering, range hood and Fantastic vent when cooking. We still had some condensation but not much, we now have a 30 pint dehumidifier and so far no condensation.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in a 32' 5er for one winter while our house was being built. Typical summer camper with 13 single pane windows and R7 insulation.
We 1st tried the cracked windows and roof vents and three fans running day and nite but all the accomplished was a cold drafty camper with the furnace running 24/7. I even made inside window covers from 1/8" Lexan and mobilehome skirting which helped in warmth but the condensation really got bad as temps dropped to zeros and 40 mph winds. Finally bought two big dehumidifiers that did the trick.
Down in your part of the country one dehumidifier may do the trick.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can purchase a dehumidifier to take the moisture out of the air. Other then that opening windows or vents gets rid of moisture as well just not as effectively.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We run the exhaust fan in the bathroom while showering to remove moisture.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Cracking a couple windows is about all we do. Helps a lot.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I run heaters, small dehumidifier, keep the roof vents cracked, etc. But if it gets cold enough your going to get some moisture - I do a quick wipe down first thing in the morning. NBD.
Kevin

JerryandSusie
Explorer
Explorer
Good ventilation is the key. We crack the roof vents. When you are cooking make sure to run the stove vent fan. We tried cracking a few windows but that didn't seem to help as much as using the roof vents.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummings Diesel
2017 31' Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
Honda 2000W Gen.
Our Yorkie kids: Scooter & Daisy