cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deep Cycle Marine Batteries

jquattlebaum
Explorer
Explorer
My current battery is a 24M 550CCA 690MCA. Will it hurt if I go with a larger battery with more CCA and MCA?
11 REPLIES 11

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
no , it will not harm anything to go bigger .
my pop always said " there is no substitute for cubic inches "
that adage is true for batteries .
the cheapest really good switch is 2 golf cart 6 volt GC2 batteries available everywhere including Costco and sam's club .
I went a different way because I replaced my batteries one at a time .
AGM construction batteries on my trailer and my truck .
I paid $ 140 each for exide edge AGM batteries at bimart / Oregon .
google AGM for the reasons to do AGM .
AGM are maintenance free , do not leak , do not off gas , have faster recharge , will take more abusive deep discharging , than conventional battery construction .
but two GC2 in series will give more capacity for less money than the AGM .
If I only had room for one battery I would use the biggest AGM construction battery .
exide EDGE are made in North Carolina and offer a few choices for this usage .
their website shows those options .

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Life has a good article about batteries , they talk about batteries that I have never heard of but seem to be good for RV's.

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
for the cost. Interstate 6 volt deep cycle batteries @ 232amps, hard to beat.

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is you'd be BETTER serviced with a straight "deep cycle" instead of a marine/deep cycle (which means basically a modified starting battery). Unless you'll be using batteries to "start" something straight deep cycle would last much longer. Size is unimportant as long as you have the necessary room to install them/it.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jquattlebaum wrote:
My current battery is a 24M 550CCA 690MCA. Will it hurt if I go with a larger battery with more CCA and MCA?

"Marine" batteries are not true deep-cycle batteries since they are designed for starting under high loads. True deep-cycle batteries are designed to be able to discharge significantly (much lower than a marine battery), then take a full charge again, and again, and again...for years. Yes, you can kill them by discharging too deeply, just as any battery, but they will last much longer and give many more hours' use than "marine" batteries. If you boondock or dry camp much, do yourself a favor and grab a couple 6v golf cart batteries from Sam's or Costco. Best thing I've ever done for my FW. Adding one of those inexpensive 45w solar kits from Harbor Freight gives me about an extra 1-2 days' power when camping, too. By then, my tanks are full so I've got to leave anyway! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

oh_boy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a pair of 6V marine deep cycle batteries I transferred to my RV. They had lived on a boat for 7 years. In winter a -30 c they sat disconnected. They were used to run everything on the boat and start a Yanmar diesel marine engine. I then got 4 more years out of them in the RV. All I did was maintain them properly.
I traded them at a Sams club in Texas and got 2 deep cycle 6V golf cart batteries. They are now going on 6 years old. I've traded 2 trailers in for newer ones that come with 12V. I give the 12V to the dealer and take my 6V with me.
So far so good.
CCA is a usless figure for an RV. The adage goes the thicker the lead the longer the life.
Ian/Mary/Rusty
wire fox terror
03 Dodge Ram 3500,4x4,QC,
Line X,Hijacker 16K slider,
09 Titanium 32E37RSA

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
No there is no harm in upgrading as you described. However you should be made aware of the following:
- that M in 24M means it is primarily a starting battery not deep discharge
- find a dual duty battery that is D such as 24D or 27D, it's more of a dual duty battery than a starting battery
- if the battery label doesn't have a 20hr AH capacity rating it is not a deep cycle battery. CCA and MCA are not ratings that can be used for deep cycling ability directly, although bigger is better.

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
Downside is that a deeply discharged "deep cycle" battery can be damaged via charging with the chassis system.

Lots of outgassing.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to avoid marine batteries for deep cycle RV use. I feel that a deep cycle battery will tend to support very occasional starting (like a generator, or jump starting the engine) better than start batteries (which is what marine batteries are biased towards) will support mostly deep cycle use.

But to answer your question, no, there is very little downside to a larger battery as long as you can charge it.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

cbwallace
Explorer
Explorer
Deep cycle batteries are designed for deep discharge cycles. If you regularly discharge your battery while boon docking then a deep cycle battery may be a better option. If starting batteries are discharged frequently below about 50% of capacity then they tend not to last very long. Deep cycle batteries are more expensive, but are designed for most RV applications. I use deep cycle batteries on my boat for both my starting and house batteries.
Chris, Barb, two girls, a Yellow Lab and a Sammoyed
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4X4
B&W Turnover Ball w/Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2019 Grand Design Reflection 31MB
2007 Crownline 252 EX
Kayaks, Quads, Bikes and anything else we can drag along!

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
No. It won't hurt anything to go with a bigger battery. Except your pocketbook.

Cold cranking amps at 0 degrees has very little to do with a battery that isn't starting a boat/car. So increasing CCA, will not help at all. Pretty much the same as MCA. Marine cranking amps at 32 degrees.

Chances are that any good deep cycle battery will need replacement after 3-4 years anyway. Regardless of capacity. My advice is get the minimum capacity that will do the job. But buy a good name brand.

A marine deep cycle may have dual duties. And starting a boat engine is one of them.

There are other deep cycle battery applications. Such as for an RV, or a trolling motor, etc. If you are NOT staring an engine, why pay the extra for a deep cycle MARINE battery?
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.