cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DRV

amxguy
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone having issues with DRV units? Thinking about up grading to DRV. Have heard of some problems. Let me know you like or dislike if you own a DRV unit.
20 REPLIES 20

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the DRV as a heavier built - higher class unit, but don't disappoint yourself thinking that it's assembled by guys in white lab coats like a Mercedes commercial.

Quality is an industry wide issue - and you will have some problems. Look for a good warranty, a service department you like, and know that your DRV has better walls, frame, construction and higher end features than the class of 5ers below it.

Think of an Escalade, but open the hood and you see GM just like a Tahoe.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
I think it was used on the vanity slide, not main the bedroom. I know my doesn't use the hydraulic system for that slide like all the others. I've heard it has chains. I could leave that slide in if I wanted, only moves a foot or so.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Schwintek looks as goofy as the cable slide systems. Lippert has no info on cable system on their web site! Chris
Is it Lippert that makes the cable slide system? I don't know either.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Schwintek looks as goofy as the cable slide systems. Lippert has no info on cable system on their web site! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
For two model years, I believe 2012 and 2013, DRV used the Lippert Schwintek system on their bedroom slides. I have had problems with the system and dealers and even DRV have problems repairing them. I'd pass on these two model years but otherwise the camper is well made.

DRV has changed over to a cable system for the bedroom because of the Schwintek problems.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bought our 07.5 36SB3 3 years ago went thru the whole rig to make sure all was well. Adjusted slides, checked the brakes and found that one brake pad was missing. Kodiak sent me a new rotor and caliper for a very reasonable price. Lived full time in it for all three years and are very happy.

Keep toying with the idea of a new 15 38' similar to what we have.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
I should add, if you list out what you must have, want and need in an RV your choice gets clearer.

Wife wanted island kitchen, pretty, lots of room.
I wanted, dual pane windows, NOT a rubber roof, 6 point leveling, well built and insulated.

I wanted an excel, but DRV fit our needs and we found it first. I used to be kept up by people in the camp grounds at night make noise, not any more. Can't hear a car door. Had a diesel pusher back in beside us and we didn't even know it, like 6 foot from the slides.

It's tall, wide and heavy, nearly 20,000# by it's self with a lot of pin weight. Doesn't belong on a SRW truck.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
DRV's are a highly regarded fifth wheel for sure.

As far as the Lippert frames for these goes, well over 10 years on the fifth wheel forums and just recently I heard the very first and only report of Lippert frame problems on a DRV.

Mind you, just one report. Seems to be a lot of DRV owners here also, so that may be an indication that this one report is rare indeed.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

KBfiredog
Explorer
Explorer
My friend full times in his DRV. Drives all over, chasing race cars, I don't get it, but he loves it. He had his for a little over a year and lost a wheel. Lug nuts came loose, tire and wheel ran off into oncoming traffic. He never torqued his lug nuts, like was recommended. DRV sent a rep. down to check on what happened. DRV payed for all the damage to his 5ver and all the expenses he incurred while the 5ver was out of service.KB
2011 Cameo 37RESLS
2012 Ford F350 PSD DRW

drillking
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought this last RV the DRV was high on our list. It had a lot of good points for full timing. We change RV's every five years, we're going to try the Mobile Suites at that time.
Sheridan & Barb
2014 Lifestyle LS37CKSL
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW
"On our way to the Gloryland with scenic stops along the way"!

Paw_Paw_John
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2004 38 foot Mobile Suite and it was used when I purchased it. I'm very happy with it & had no problems with it. I also installed the Cheap Heat electric element on the gas heater in 2010. This system is worth every penny. Good luck with your purchase, you will not regret buying a DRV Unit.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from General RVing
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
What is a "DRV unit"?

Had to google it. At first I thought it was some sort of digital video recorder.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
As another poster suggested, post your question on the Suites owners website. Your question is a little vague, be specific about your concerns. We own our 2nd Drv unit. Problems? On our Select one of the AC's went out, Drv didn't manufacture that. On our Mobile Suite an AC went out in the first year, Drv didn't manufacture that. Our Dometic frig on the Select was great, in our Mobile the Dometic 1350 has had 2 cooling units go out, then Dometic replaced the entire frig and that one lasted less than 60 days. We are taking it in again at the end of the month for another cooling unit. If that goes out we are putting in a residential frig, but Drv didn't manufacture that either. I would buy another, quality frames (yes, Lippert built, but each manufacturer has their own specifications), 3 1/4" walls, good insulation all around, good factory support. www.suitesowners.com. You need a big truck, we had a 2007 Select Suites , it weighed 16,200(don't make that model anymore, replaced with the Tradition) and now have a 2012 Mobile Suite, it weighs 19,400. There are many owners that have purchased a 2nd & 3rd Drv unit, that says something. Rolling Retreats in OK, Wheels RV in AR and RV's for Less in TN seem to be the favorite dealers.