cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DRW vs. SRW for towing fivers

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone towed fivers with both DRW and SRW pickups? I currently have a F350 diesel DRW, and I'm looking to get a new F350 but I'm debating on the rear wheel config. Ease of parking and maneuvering over stability.
87 REPLIES 87

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
richfaa wrote:
We have never pulled a heavy 5th wheel with a SRW for the simple reason that both of our 5th wheels exceeded the Pin weight capabilities if a SRW. If you can find one that is within spec's for the 5th wheel you plan to pull no problem.

Agree. Our fifth wheel's hitch weight was within the payload/rear axle capacity of our truck..........by design. Did not want a dual rear wheel truck, the SRW longbed is already like navigating the Queen Mary.

And, we never noticed any stability issues while towing.

You really shouldn't notice any stability issues while towing..possibly...what most are saying is, "IF" you have towed the same 5er with a SRW truck AND a DRW truck, the dually will normally offer a MORE stable towing experience...Unless you've towed the same 5er with both over the same terrain, it's really hard to understand. I didn't until I did it.....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
richfaa wrote:
We have never pulled a heavy 5th wheel with a SRW for the simple reason that both of our 5th wheels exceeded the Pin weight capabilities if a SRW. If you can find one that is within spec's for the 5th wheel you plan to pull no problem.

Agree. Our fifth wheel's hitch weight was within the payload/rear axle capacity of our truck..........by design. Did not want a dual rear wheel truck, the SRW longbed is already like navigating the Queen Mary.

And, we never noticed any stability issues while towing.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Towing 14,000# 5er with 8 wheels on the ground. No issues and no regrets.

Lakeside

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 03 ram 3500 srw lb qc 4x4 cummins. I towed a cougar 320srx a 40' road warior and the fuzion in my sig. Not a bad tow but I wanted a newer truck with the 6.7 and the 6 speed trans. So I had an eye out and we went to Gettysburg for hallowen 2 weekend. We passed Beckleys and I saw 2 trucks that I liked and wanted to run back on friday to look at them. Of course Sandy came up the coast so brother and I got in his truck (3500 srw ram lb qc 4x4 cummins)and came back to the marina to haul boats with the crew Friday and Saturday. Saturday night left Rock Hall went back to Gettysburg to pick up his wife and kids, my wife and dog, the 2 5ers, B.J.,his family and rig. We left Gettysburg came down the road B.J. had a blow out. Changed his tire and got moving again. We hit the east bound span of the bay bridge and a gust hit me from the rear quarter and the truck started squirming. I was scared to death for the next 4 miles. Then we got home I unhooked,Did the whole storm thing!,winterized and bought the Dually from Beckleys with the 6.7 and the 6 speed auto. My brother didn't admit it to me but he told B.J. he got pushed around some that night too. B.J. said he was fine in his dually (lb cc 4x4 cummins). Of course he has a 32-35' cougar and brother has a 35'ish mountaineer. Get the dually or keep the dually.

P.S. Sorry for being so long winded in the story.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

drillking
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled same size RV's with SRW and DRW's. Big difference in stability. I need the exercise so we always park where we can walk. As long as we have the larger fivers we'll use the DRW. We full time and use it as our DD. you quickly get used to it.
Sheridan & Barb
2014 Lifestyle LS37CKSL
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW
"On our way to the Gloryland with scenic stops along the way"!

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Being there done that.For me, is DRW IF THE FW IS OVER 14000 LB.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted our Brookstone with both. First an 08 4x4 SRW, now a 13 2wd DRW. Both Ford F350's. Both Supercabs with 8 foot beds.

I don't know if I have seen significant differences in how they each pull. The DRW does seem less squirrelly, but to be fair, the SRW wasn't that bad. The DRW seems a harsher ride because there are 4 tires hitting that expansion joint versus 2.

We don't use either truck for daily drivers, but both were massive vehicles that need care in parking. Neither will maneuver like our Focus.

I say, get what you want, but if your not going to use it much without a trailer, get the DRW for the slightly better towing stability.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes: powerful photos, and about as good a reference for having a dually that can be made.

As far as maneuverability, length with the crew cab, long box pickups is much more the limiting factor than the width of the rear tires. Length is as much a problem for SRW as it is for DRW when it comes to say trying to turn into a parking spot.

Personally, I always try to find a spot I can back into with my dually, as it sure makes leaving easier.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
PapPappy wrote:
I don't think I recall anyone saying that they wish they had the SRW, but lots do say that they wish they had the dullie.:)
Just saying.
No personal experience though.

So haven't had a dually, but I tow 11,000# with an 01 Ram, with Camper Spring package. I have no issues, and don't need bags to be stable. If I were replacing my TV most likely would get a dually.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Buy it right the first time.Letting considerations like "fit in garage or drive thru or car wash" etc. colour your judgment is in MHO the hight of short sighted stupidity.
Unless you really love that new truck smell.
Myself I hate sending the gov a huge check for sales tax every time I change vehicles .
So I don't
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Advantage/disadvantage dually
dually or no 2011
More dually w/5er 2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
It's hard to know that much about the stability difference unless you've towed the same 5er with both trucks. I have towed the same 5er with both trucks over the same mountainous terrain and the DRW truck offers a more stable towing experience.

If your 5er is only 12,000#, then in reality the SRW truck would be just fine...The dually has it's place and it's "normally" with towing heavier 5er's, but believe you would be surprised in the difference in stability between a SRW and DRW even with your 12,000# 5er.

I towed the same 9000# 5th wheel with a 04 2500HD and with the 05 3500DRW truck we have now. There is a differance even at that weight. If you think that you may ever want a bigger trailer get the DRW truck 1st or get one later. Your $$$, your choice.

I agree with you on that, was just saying the lighter weight 5er's wouldn't require a dually, but even then you would tell a difference in stability if towed with a dually, as your experience showed.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
tvfrfireman wrote:
Denny & Jami wrote:
I have towed with both and will never go back to a srw.

Denny

x3
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
It's hard to know that much about the stability difference unless you've towed the same 5er with both trucks. I have towed the same 5er with both trucks over the same mountainous terrain and the DRW truck offers a more stable towing experience.

If your 5er is only 12,000#, then in reality the SRW truck would be just fine...The dually has it's place and it's "normally" with towing heavier 5er's, but believe you would be surprised in the difference in stability between a SRW and DRW even with your 12,000# 5er.

I towed the same 9000# 5th wheel with a 04 2500HD and with the 05 3500DRW truck we have now. There is a differance even at that weight. If you think that you may ever want a bigger trailer get the DRW truck 1st or get one later. Your $$$, your choice.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD