cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel damage and insurance

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
I asking this for some close friends of mine.In 2009 they purchased a wildcat 32QBBS fver.
They use the camper about 25-30 days a year and camper is stored in a covered carport on their property.

They have had a lot going on this year and haven't used the camper ,,today he pulled it out of his storage and was planning on using it this weekend.
To make story short,the entire rear of camper is coming apart ,delamination and some signs of water intrusion
As mentioned camper has been well maintained and park under a cover when not in use.
Will his insurance cover this or are they going to try to blame it on lack of maintence.
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled
10 REPLIES 10

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
The more I read posts like these the more I realize I must have been pretty lucky years ago when my insurance company paid me for my trailer that was totaled due to water damage delamination.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
They will blame it on lack of maintenance which is not covered.

Also latent defect

dedmiston
They should take a look at their policy verbiage and see what "Covered Losses" are spelled out in the contract.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
They will blame it on lack of maintenance which is not covered.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe the OP's buddy need to have an "accident". :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Since you didn't mention an accident...NO, they won't cover it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
If the water intrusion was caused by a catastrophic event like a tree falling on it, or a rock flying up from the road, then it would be covered by insurance provided they took reasonable steps to minimize further damage after the catastrophic event. However, if they failed to maintain the caulking and water intruded through missing caulk, then insurance will not cover it.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If my truck rusts to the ground, my insurance isn't going to cover it.. Or the Paint starts peeling away, insurance isn't going to cover it..

I've got full coverage on it and on my trailer too, but if it rots away, I'm not covered..

It gets destroyed in an accident, it's covered..

I think you are confusing "insurance" with a "warranty"??

Now, if I backed my trailer into a tree and destroyed the rear end, it would be covered.. Well, at least up to it's value.. Otherwise they will just total it like anything else..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
As a general rule insurance only cover damage caused by a quick, instant event. It does not cover damage that happens over a period of time. For example if a tree fell on the RV and damaged the roof (but you do not know about it for some period of time) then the resulting water damage would be covered.

Poor workmanship that results in damage over some period of time is not covered.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
From everything I' ve ever read here, they'll blame it on maint. but
I wonder how water delam'd it if it was always under cover and didn't get wet.
I seem to remember about that time there were some manufacurers that were having problems with glue causing delam. If that were the case, ins. may cover it since there's nothing the owner could have done.