cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fifth wheel hooking up guides

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Wife has a problem not being able to see the truck bed hitch when backing up to the kingpin. We carry a large container for inverter/generator which impairs the ability to actually see where things are at.

Is there some type of guide that some of you use which would be of benefit for her. Wife is a former skilled farmer with lots of pulling/backing experience. Frustration over this for her is high which makes for a temporary unhappy camper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dt
38 REPLIES 38

KeithAS
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer aids (magnetic poles), left over from the TT. One on center top of the pin box, one on center of the 5th wheel mounting bar. Head in the center of the head rest and watch the mirror. Perfect line up every time. When the pole is knocked over, get out and make the final height adjustment with the landing gear. Back in the last foot. Hitched.
2010 Dodge 3500 SLT, 6.7 CTD, SRW, 4WD, SB, Auto
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
reppoc12 wrote:
Maybe when it is hooked up you can make a mark, piece of tape or something, on the front cap and another one on top of the bin or back window so that she can see both when backing up?

X2 but I add a third mark. I put a small mark with tape etc on the mirror that lines up with the one on my rear window and the one on the front cap. Then just like aiming a gun the pin is lined up with the hitch. Then when the pin passes over the tail gate I get out to confirm alignment and that the pin height is where it needs to be.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very short, and cannot see hitch and etc. Now that I have a DRW, the rear finders are the same width as the 5th wheel. As I back up I make sure both fenders are in line with outside of 5th. I get out and check and most of the time I'm perfect for the hitch,Every tow vehicle is a little different and I just have to learn what works.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
harbor freight has the ball setup, but I use one of their extension rods. they are magnetic and I set it on my hitch. not any bigger than a pencil.
when I get close, I always get out and check
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Get Out And Look! ????

X2
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted this before and some laughed at the idea, however it still works great. I bought two 2 yellow balls mounted on an extension rod similar to an antena. They have magnets on the bottom. Most rv supply stores sell them. Drop the tailgate and set one ball on the tail gate (center) and the other just inside the bed (center) get in the truck and look in the rear view mirror. Back up and keep the balls in line with the center of the trailer. Works like a charm.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

Fabguy
Explorer
Explorer
Rear view mirror works for me.
Jeff

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4:10/Prodigy brake controler/Pullrite Superglide
Pulling a 2015 Keystone Cougar 280RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jamway wrote:
Dan Henry wrote:
I can not see the trailer pin box from the drivers seat. I have a wire that that I hang on the brake cable to get the trailer pin at the correct hight. The back seat has small center head rest, I removed the custuion and there are 2 small plastic buttons that use to line up the center of the pin box by looking in the rear view mirror , works every time.

Dan

Like Dan I use the head rest buttons and the wife gets the trailer the correct height. No problems.

:h

You can't get to the correct height before backing in to it??? We are not talking fraction of inches, you can be at least two inches low, and still load.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
As Allworth says, Get out and look!
Use your side mirrors as well as the rear veiw to line up the TV so that the pinbox will be at or darn near center, back up slow and get as close as you dare to the actual contact, then get out and look and see if it is in line, if not, simply move the TV over to adjust the hook up. It would then be a good time to hook up the cable so that you will have trailer brakes as you continue to back under the 5er or TT. The process is the same for both!

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
fowl8717 wrote:
I have a small tripod that will mount my iphone. I put it on the cargo box and call my wife's phone on facetime. I put her phone in the phone holder in the truck and use both as a back up camera and monitor. All you need is two phones that can link up with video.

Ford F250, Jayco 27.5RKDS (2016)

Now; that's creative. Use what you already have.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Dan Henry wrote:
I can not see the trailer pin box from the drivers seat. I have a wire that that I hang on the brake cable to get the trailer pin at the correct hight. The back seat has small center head rest, I removed the custuion and there are 2 small plastic buttons that use to line up the center of the pin box by looking in the rear view mirror , works every time.

Dan

Like Dan I use the head rest buttons and the wife gets the trailer the correct height. No problems.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get Out And Look! ????
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

fowl8717
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small tripod that will mount my iphone. I put it on the cargo box and call my wife's phone on facetime. I put her phone in the phone holder in the truck and use both as a back up camera and monitor. All you need is two phones that can link up with video.

Ford F250, Jayco 27.5RKDS (2016)

dedmiston
BobKrogstie wrote:
momentum rv wrote:
Maybe a wireless portable camera. Some have magnetic camera mount and not too expensive.

Maybe something like this: https://www.swifthitch.com/products/

I agree. The Swift Hitch is a marriage saver!

http://www.amazon.com/Swift-Hitch-SH01-Portable-Wireless/dp/B000ZEON90

I used it for years with our old bumper pull. I'm glad I don't need it anymore, but I sure was happy to have it when I needed it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would assume she also can't see in the rear view mirror. :h
so keep the pin low, as long as the pin plate hits the hitch plate, or ramp ears not going to high hitch.

Center as above some kind of mark, or center on truck bed, with outside mirrors.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"