cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firestone Air bags

poloace
Explorer
Explorer
I am contemplating putting a set on my truck. Just wondering if it is worth it or not.
We have a 2010 dodge 3500 4x4.
2013 Montana 285rld
We have pulled about 2000 mi, and there is no problems. It sags a little but not much.
I hear it takes some of the buck out.
We used to pull a 28ft savoy. which was lighter.
2013 Montana Mountaineer 285rld
2010 Dodge 3500 single wheel 4x4
41 REPLIES 41

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I have had two sets of those bags for around 14 years now. Always been connected by a T and have had one air fitting.

I think the ole leaning and transferrring of air is urban legend.

I have to agree, maybe with a big cab over camper could be some transfer of air with side sway, but hooked up in the center of the truck bumper or fifth wheel hitch, just can't see it. I too run just a T , and fill from just one valve.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two sets of those bags for around 14 years now. Always been connected by a T and have had one air fitting.

I think the ole leaning and transferrring of air is urban legend.

rthibodaux
Explorer
Explorer
I got anJayco eagle 32 RLTS FW, pulling with an 2012 3500 dodge duley. When hooking up the camper the rean end drops about 4 inches. All seems well while towing, Of course in south louisian there are not too many roads where you can get a smooth ride.
Randy

kampinguru
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep in mind that they are not there to increase the carrying capacity of the truck, but rather to allow the truck to be adjusted to tow level. Level towing is important for good handling. I have them on my truck with the on-board compressor and in-cab controls to allow adjustment to road conditions. I also have the Trail-air air ride pin box and I have a very smooth ride when towing.
2000 F-250 S/B 4X4
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
Pullrite Superglide 16K

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We run them with independent in cab pressure control & compressor kit - works great for leveling the truck camper side to side when parking. Hauling the toyhauler I'll run enough pressure in them on normal roads so the truck is not engaging the overloads. Nice ride. On "frost heaves" roads I drop the air to allow more overload spring engagement which settles down the "hobby horse" motion of the 5th wheel. I am adding Stable Loads from Torklift to engage the bottom overloads earlier.

The toyhauler pin weight is about 2800lbs.

The air bags are the bee's knees for hooking up to trailers with a minimum of cranking of the landing gear.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
poloace wrote:
I am contemplating putting a set on my truck. Just wondering if it is worth it or not.
We have a 2010 dodge 3500 4x4.
2013 Montana 285rld
We have pulled about 2000 mi, and there is no problems. It sags a little but not much.
I hear it takes some of the buck out.
We used to pull a 28ft savoy. which was lighter.

I would 1st checkout your setup, I pull a Copper Canyon 33' 5er with a pin of 2,000 and don't even engage my overloads (about 1" clearance). Shocks on the 5er and Bilstien 5100's on the truck, pulls smooth. I don't have a need for air bags.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BlindGuynAR
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
I pull a bigger camper with my Dodge 2500 with the firestone bags. I only run about 23 lbs in them. I think 100lbs is the max. Thing to remember is you already have a suspension holding the weight. You don't need the airbag to take it all or you will have a crappy ride. Honestly, if I had a 3500 I would not buy the airbags for hauling that trailer. You simply do not need them.

Edit: Just looked them up looks like 1 lb of air supports approximatly 40 lbs. So running at 23 lbs after the suspension takes part of the load I have an additional 920 lbs of support. Running at 50 lbs would be way too stiff and make for an uncomfortable ride. I guess it depends on the condition of your existing suspension.

Good info.

There is no reason to run at 100psi for 2k pin weight, but I think they are rated at 5000lb at 100psi which works out to 50lb per 1 psi in both bags or 25lb per bag at 1psi.

40lb per 1psi would only max at 40 x 100 = 4000.

As far as psi in the bags it is total personal preference. The weight is there no matter what so you should experiment with what feels best to you.

And don't blind my DW with your headlights as we pass. If neither of us could see we'd be really in trouble:)
2013 Montana 346LBQ Mountainer edition
2017 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW
- B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
- Transfer Flow 40ga aux tank/tool box
- Gatorback Mud Flaps
- Ultimate Camera Package

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Firestone Ride Rites two months ago on our '06 Dodge 3500 dually. The truck sagged just a bit hooked up to our Montana and I didn't like it. I put the "T" on the back of the truck like some of the others on here did, makes adjusting the level easier.

We just finished a 7,000 mile trip to the west coast a couple of weeks ago and adding 50 lbs to the bags while pulling the trailer made the ride noticeably smoother. LOVE the air bags, for us it was a great investment. We have the MorRyde pin box on our Montana so chucking wasn't so much of an issue.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2800 lbs on the pin , run approx 26/28 lbs on the Pac bags, also have the pac brake with compressor so airing up and down is not an issue, certainly smooth out the bumps, but you do need to fine tune it for your Rig.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
I had air bags on a previous TV and found that if you don't carry a compressor you are stuck with a rough ride once you unhitch at the cg. If you do go with them drop the extra coin on the integrated compressor and gauge. It makes life easier. I installed timbrens on my last two TVs and have been pleased with them.

I have a cheapo 12v compressor from harbor freight, that goes to 150psi. think it cost me $20.

I bought an adapter for the trailer 7 pin outlet to cig lighter,
and use the compressor that way for the airbags. Also on my f350 there is power under the rear seat. (I used this to pump up my Trailiar triglide hitch a little).

I am planning on a more substantial compressor setup, Viair 10007.. 150 psi, 100% duty cycle. $400. and a couple air valves and a switch, I can adjust the airbags on the fly.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

NHFirefighter
Explorer
Explorer
Have them and love mine. Wouldn't tow on any future truck without them.
3500HD Duramax
Crusader 290RLT
Line-X and Fold-a-Cover

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
While hauling 5er I run F/S airbags with 28 to 30 #s air which is just enough to lift weight off the overload springs on a 2011 F-350 running 2600# pin weight. That amount of air lifts the rear of the truck just under 2". The ride while not towing the 5er is best with about 10#s of air. No bang, bang on raised culvet highways. The ride is now just slightly stiffer than an F-150 I owned in 2008. I installed myself and have been very happy with them over the last 10,000 miles.

Lakeside

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my Firestones since Feb 2009 - NO problems. I like having the small onboard compressor. I have adjusted them on the fly.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the Firestones and they were OK. If I should ever want to buy another set I will get the Pac Brake brand instead. Check them out. They seem to be more substantial in construction. A guy named "Cucksahunter" sells on Ebay. Have purchased an exhaust brake from him before with great results.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
I had a set installed in my F350 as I was 1/4" to 1/2" off the overload springs. Every time I hit a bump I got a 2nd bump. Run about 10# empty and 25# with the trailer. Lifted me up about 2" off the overloads and much better ride. I "T" the air lines together(heck, big trucks are all common air lined) and a bicycle pump makes quick work if I need to add air. Someday I might add and air compressor. My partner has back issues and the air bags got a big thumbs up.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.