their front cap? If so what
did you use.

Thanks

Phelpo
17 REPLIES 17

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it needs insulation in the cap, I bet there are plenty of other areas that are just as bad or worse...Just sayin

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Buy more clothes and fill the closet.....??
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Phelpo
Explorer
Explorer
anyone else?

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I had a small leak in the upper corner and decided to repair it. Then I found there was rotten wood. I took almost all the screws out and called a friend and we finished taking the screws out and putting the cap on the ground. We fixed the wood and put in fiberglass insulation, both 6" and 3 1/2" there had not been any before. ( builder saved close to $10) Much warmer/cooler in bedroom now. Total time less than 4 hours 2 men.Had to buy 2 rolls of butyl tape, 1 tube dicor and insulation. cost around $30. A 6&8 ft ladder were needed.

Phelpo
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all, my 2014 fifth wheel is parked
in the Keys and the cap is facing east so It
get the morning sun, we have a Tiki Hut next
to the rig on the south side and it has helped
a great real. This is a Hearthland Big Country.
I can access the front cap so now I know what
the next project will be

Phelpo

R_-_E_W9
Explorer
Explorer
I added insulation after I discovered only 5 pieces of loose batting hanging in front of the closet.
I had to remove the front cabinet to access the void between the closet and the front cap.
2 ft x 4 ft 3/8 foam sheets with foil on one side and clear plastic on the other. its flexible enough to attach to the fiberglass using spray glue
(you need ventilation)and insulation tape. I put 2 layers in our Crusader,also covered the back of the closet, made a world of difference,
Not a easy task but worth the time.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, I had an issue with my flagstaff front cap coming loose on the top. Even though it was still under warranty, I decided to do the work myself and took the whole cap off. I was appalled to see the lack of insulation. There was just a few pieces of foam glued to the inside wall, with gaps of about 8-10 inches between them. I used the expanding spray foam, let it cure, then cut the excess with a knife to allow the cap to fit. I put it all back together and it was a lot better than it was.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I put reflectix in the closet...top/bottom and sides and also in the front storage I covered everything I could with some more reflectix. Also....drawers on both sides of the closet....pulled drawers out and put some there also.
cpaulsen

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
I removed the sliding mirror doors and put up insulated curtains....don't have to mess with the doors, covers entire open closet area and keeps the cooler air out better than the metal sliding doors...one of the best DIY things we did for the 5er....insulated curtains match bedroom colors perfectly..

That's a great idea. Thanks.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Could you blow in some insulation, maybe fiberglass. I'd think cellulose would be too heavy.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
It would be costly but there are companies that do spray foam insulation. You might be able to take it directly to them (to save costs) and have them use a minimally expanding foam, and drill small holes in the closet back wall to spray the foam in that way between the closet wall and front cap.

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I had to repair a delamination on the inside of my front cap. I opened up the wall on both sides of the closet to get enough room to work. There is insulation on the back of the closet wall but as you guessed there is none on the cap itself. When I fixed my repair I spray foamed the back of the cap. It worked great and did make a difference. I finished off the work with cedar paneling and you would never know it was ever touched.

Good luck if you want to insulated the front cap. It is a dirty, messy job. Another hint -- make sure you do it in late fall or early winter when it is cool. Lesson learned.

Enjoy the road. We do.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

routemaster
Explorer
Explorer
What about pumping something in there?
2017 Landmark Arlington 365
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500 c/c LWB.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the sliding mirror doors and put up insulated curtains....don't have to mess with the doors, covers entire open closet area and keeps the cooler air out better than the metal sliding doors...one of the best DIY things we did for the 5er....insulated curtains match bedroom colors perfectly..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet