cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

G614 blow out on Friday

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Just a reminder that it doesn't have to be hot weather or low air pressures to blow out a tire. This one happened after I was 2 miles down a two lane road running 45 mph and with a state trooper behind me:D when there was a loud BOOM. I had just looked at the TPMS and all pressures and temps were good as they were all in the high 80* range when it blew. I was in a right hand curve and I don't recall anything in the roadway and the trooper said he saw nothing either, but still could have been a roads hazard that got it. I was able to get the rig slowed down very quickly and had to limp along about 305 mph for about 3/4 of a mile to be able to get her off the roadway. The trooper turned on his lights while behind me to warn traffic of the slow moving vehicle. I was able to find an old abandoned farm with a long driveway and a turn around that I was able to get into. Lifted the rig with the LevelUp system and my wife and son were a bit behind me. My partner and her husband were at the campground already about 5 miles away so they came and changed it for me. My son just had surgery last week and couldn't lift and I'm recovering from a back injury sustained 11 days ago. Even though it was a blow out, I'm thankful it wasn't on the interstate that I'd just come off of, that friends were close by and that the rig had NO DAMAGE to it as the tire stayed intact. Not going to get into which tire is better, but our rig came with these and the tire in question was made the 46th week of 2015. It's an odd blowout, and Goodyear is going to look at it, but not expecting them to do anything. Hopefully someone has one around here this week. Just a reminder, we can do everything right and go overboard according to some with the TPMS and such, and it still happens. The pressures had been checked prior to leaving home when the lugs were torqued. It's just one of those things that happens when we own these rigs. Keep an eye out as it can happen at any time. I was extremely lucky with this one.

2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4
56 REPLIES 56

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Medic 143,

What pressure do you use in your tires?
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DHCamper wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Take my advice and call GY directly and ask For the number of the area GY Rep.

He will most likely have you take it to a GY owned Dealer!!!

He has control of what they will charge you for a replacement. If anything!

Date code looks like it was made November of 2015.

That is new enough to have them look at it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
G614 Tire---
I have had experience with GY tire issues. Good Year's warranty has been great. My tire was replaced (new and no cost to me) and all damage to the side of my trailer was paid for by Good Year. Good Year engineers called me and determined that the GY tires that came with my new trailer were D rated and they recommended going to the G949RSA "G" rated 235/85R16 tire and I have not had one tire problem since. I also replace all my tires every 5 to 6 years regardless of their condition.

Jump from D to G?! =Somebody= FUBAR'd that tire selection. I'd say you were =way= under-tired from the factory (assuming the trailer's placarded for D tires) or someone at the tire shop saw you coming and sold you way more tire and wheel than you really need.

Lyle

My thought as well. D's to E's sure but G's sound like real overkill.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Take my advice and call GY directly and ask For the number of the area GY Rep.

He will most likely have you take it to a GY owned Dealer!!!

He has control of what they will charge you for a replacement. If anything!

Date code looks like it was made November of 2015.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
O.K. I have to comment---"limp along at 305 mph for 3/4 mile." Zowwiee!! You got a chip in the tow vehicle or made a mistake.
Hopefully, your tire problem will be taken care of.

Dick_641
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Dick 641 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Wow, I've had a couple blowouts and neither looked like that one. That really looks like some kind of sidewall damage caused the blowout. Pretty weird looking. Replace them with Sailuns and forget about any more tire trouble.
I wouldn't say that had a Saulin 17.5 blow out on me an took out fender flair an fender panel

Did they pay for damages?
No said wasn't enough tire left to tell what caused it. It threw all the tread off all I had left was the carcas

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Wow, I've had a couple blowouts and neither looked like that one. That really looks like some kind of sidewall damage caused the blowout. Pretty weird looking. Replace them with Sailuns and forget about any more tire trouble.

Are you saying Sailun tires can't have a road hazard puncture?
Just because the Goodyear tires don't have the same trouble-free reputation as the Sailun tires, don't get your knickers in a twist. I'm referring strictly to tire quality issues.

Wow just asking a question based on your comment. Simple no knickers involved!
Not a problem, it's just the question was a little silly. I'm sure you knew that I meant tire construction problems, not road hazard stuff.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick 641 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I wouldn't say that had a Saulin 17.5 blow out on me an took out fender flair an fender panel

Did they pay for damages?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick 641 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Was that an S637 on a trailer? That would be the first one I've ever heard of.

Details, we need details. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

Are you saying Sailun tires can't have a road hazard puncture?
Just because the Goodyear tires don't have the same trouble-free reputation as the Sailun tires, don't get your knickers in a twist. I'm referring strictly to tire quality issues.

Wow just asking a question based on your comment. Simple no knickers involved!

Dick_641
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mortimer Brewster wrote:

If you go back and reread the posts, you will see that you are talking about 2 different trailers.
I only saw the one post by 5thWheel of Fortune, did I miss one? The one I saw he was referring to his tires mounted in 2012, and was asking how much longer would you push these tires.

Maybe I misread something. It's happened before. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
cimac wrote:
Thanks for sharing. We have a set of G-614's on our Mobile Suites installed new Oct, 2012. Mostly driven in summer months, but otherwise sits in enclosed Texas storage 8-9 months per year. No issues, tires look great, currently only ~20k miles, and balanced/rotated every 10k. How much longer would you push these tires?

My 2011 MS with 2010 mfg. goodyears looked good but in 2015 one lost all of the tread going down the highway. It did not blow so I had no idea it happened. Stopped at a rest area and found it before it wore thru the steel belts and popped.

This is the biggest issue with the 614 tire. When I ran 614's on my older rigs....I changed them out every 3 years (FT living). There were no viable options on G rated tires back then. Now you have Sailun and Hanooks to go to for a reasonable price and great history experience. I must make something clear. The G load rating numbers were right on the cusp of the trailer axle rating, not leaving much room for weakness of any kind. That's why I would replace every 3 years. The heat from sidewall flexing was pretty high in high ambient temps. IE. 155-160*F. My newer 17.5 Michelin XTA J rated tire would run about 130*F under similar conditions. Just sayin'.

I will say GY stood tall on taking care of their claims.
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

cimac
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. We have a set of G-614's on our Mobile Suites installed new Oct, 2012. Mostly driven in summer months, but otherwise sits in enclosed Texas storage 8-9 months per year. No issues, tires look great, currently only ~20k miles, and balanced/rotated every 10k. How much longer would you push these tires?

My 2011 MS with 2010 mfg. goodyears looked good but in 2015 one lost all of the tread going down the highway. It did not blow so I had no idea it happened. Stopped at a rest area and found it before it wore thru the steel belts and popped.
2013 Ford F350 PS CrewCab 4wd Dually
2011 Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

Charles and Charlotte
Pet Crew: Guy 8 and Daisy 7. (All Rescues)
Rainbow Bridge: Bear 10, Raisins 11, Cookie 15, Bubba 11 , Oreo 16, Princess 13

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
joebedford wrote:
5thWheel of Fortune wrote:
How much longer would you push these tires?
Do you mean because of age? They're only 2.5 years old. I wouldn't even consider replacing at that age.

FWIW, the tires on my TH are 5.5 years old and I'm not going to replace them soon. However, it's a tri-axle and they are LTs.
Only 2.5 years old? He said they mounted them in 2012, so that makes them coming up on 6 years old. Or were you only counting the time they're actually in use? ๐Ÿ™‚

If you go back and reread the posts, you will see that you are talking about 2 different trailers.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS