cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gel coat care

BlackSilver
Explorer
Explorer
My rig is 11 years old. Over the years I have cleaned and waxed it twice a year with various products of the types commonly sold at Camping World and other RV supply stores.

Despite this regular care the finish was deteriorating, no matter how hard I scrubbed and rubbed. The end caps especially were showing their age.

All the fancy fiberglass boats at the marina, many of them 20-30 years old, always seem to gleam. So I asked the guy what process they used to keep them looking so good.

He recommended a three-product system from Meguiar.

The first step is "Oxidation Remover #49". Be prepared to WORK, but the result is stunning. I used a good Porter Cable random orbit polisher with lots of power, and wore out 4 polishing pads and a half-dozen high quality bonnets. Swap out the bonnets often with fresh clean ones. They'll last several washings. Stock up on pads and bonnets before you start the job. Do a small section at a time, and don't let it dry --- wipe immediately.

Second step, about every hour or so, apply their "High Gloss Polish #45" to the area you have stripped. Easy wipe on/wipe off application. Again, DO NOT LET IT DRY.

Third step, after you get a large area de-oxidized and polished, apply their "Pure Wax #56" product. Dry to haze, wipes off easily.

My rig is a 36-footer, and I used most of two bottles of each of the three products. The entire job took me the better part of 3 days. The guy at the marina said if I do it about every three-four months, I will only need to do steps 2 and 3. Both those steps are easy, and the entire job will easily finish in a single long afternoon.

The results are beyond my expectation. The last time I polished and waxed (in December) the finish was "cloudy" and lifeless, and quite honestly was just looking OLD. Today the entire camper finish, including the end caps, looks showroom new.

(Notice the reflection my my step ladder on the side of the camper.)

Hans, Kร˜HB & Colleen, Kร˜CKB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy
Heartland Big Country camping trailer
3500HD Silverado Big Dooley LTZ Go-power by Max & Allie
20 REPLIES 20

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
blofgren wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
oldbeek wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
 photo IMAG0876.jpg

this is what I do for a nice look, poli glow.

chevman

How is the poli-glo holding up. How long has it been on?

this will be the 2nd winter for the poli glow. I did 2 applications this summer as the instructions from the company advise. The front cap is still the red max pro #3 and it is 5 years old. I do not recommend Red max pro #3 as I once have done.

chevman

That looks really good. Do you think the Poli Glow would make the front cap look as good as the sidewalls on your unit? It seems like the front caps are the highest maintenance on these units.

Yes I know it will. the red max pro #3 on the front cap has lasted because the alpenlite faces north 12 months except for on the road.

chevman

Thanks very much for that; it is great to hear from someone with first hand knowledge of the product. I may give it a try.

BTW we were in Wenatchee for a week in late August; we stayed at Wenatchee River County Park and then Lincoln Rock State Park. We really liked Lincoln Rock, although we were dealing with a sick dog at the time and our relatives motorhome was in the shop for a lot of our stay! We will definitely go back there.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
Do a google search for 'Junkman2000'. You will discover a lot more about polishing and washing and car care than you want to know.

I think wax is generally considered a no-no for the decals.
Roy

2011 GMC 3500, Duramax, Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG with most options

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
oldbeek wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
 photo IMAG0876.jpg

chevman

this will be the 2nd winter for the poli glow. I did 2 applications this summer as the instructions from the company advise. The front cap is still the red max pro #3 and it is 5 years old. I do not recommend Red max pro #3 as I once have done.

chevman

That looks really good. Do you think the Poli Glow would make the front cap look as good as the sidewalls on your unit? It seems like the front caps are the highest maintenance on these units.

Yes I know it will. the red max pro #3 on the front cap has lasted because the alpenlite faces north 12 months except for on the road.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
oldbeek wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
 photo IMAG0876.jpg

chevman

chevman

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
oldbeek wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
 photo IMAG0876.jpg

chevman

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
My prior TT was 10 years old when I sold it. Washed it every few months, waxed once a year. Looked like new when I sold it. I live in AZ where intense sun and heat is a huge problem. Like others, I just don't find the time to keep it spotless, polished and waxed frequently. Keeping it stored in the shade was key to keeping it looking nice. For me, no sun equals no fading.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
my unit being new, I've started using some Gel Coat lab's boat type wax products, hopefully it keeps it up nicely. I'm willing to wax it 3 times a year (may, august and October) as that's the timeframe when its warm enough to do it.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
 photo IMAG0876.jpg

chevman

1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
I got the same results when I did mine last summer using Meguiar's 3-step product.
Went through several pads but at $28 you can't beat the price and it really works.
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Looks fantastic.
Well worth the work.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...no doubt on that shine! Very nice!
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, simply stunning for the results!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

larry_barnhart