cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design Momentum , Think Twice Before BIG Mistake

sc1camping
Explorer
Explorer
I would think twice about Grand Design Momentum. I own one it has been camped in twice. So far I have replaced all grease seals and brakes shoes. GD response was a link to LCI were I could buy new parts. Awning upgrade, Kitchen faucet replacement, Rear toy hauler ramp repair to keep it from falling off. Five new tires.Garage lights replaced. Propane tank retainers replaced. Fuel filter added to gen set. Awning light replaced. Replaced DVD/stereo system. All of this was done out of my wallet. The last straw for me was when my main (center) 15K AC went out at 25 hours of use. We where out of town with 3 guest in RV. GD was of no help. I ended up getting the only Dometic certified installer in area to replace it. Cost to me
$ 900. I took the time and effort to bring old AC home. I contacted GD once we got home and offered to take it local dealer or whoever they wanted to look at it within 75 miles. That was 3 weeks ago never heard anything from them.
The Grand Design Owners Forum is tightly controlled for negative comments so don't get fooled like I did.
65 REPLIES 65

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
offtohavasu wrote:
One thing I have to disagree with Scott about is the "Grand Design" cheerleaders. You can call it what you want, but those are people who are genuinely happy with their trailer and their service.

Additionally, you can go through the site and see there are owners who complain about certain issues, however, it's done tactfully.

Scott brought a great deal of information to the site, there's no two ways about it. He has a great deal of knowledge in the "RV world"

I think the issue came up with how the posts were done. Yes, he had some failures of equipment, but some of the faults were do to a failure to follow through on his purchase. The example I remember, and we discussed on the forum, was he assumed the awning was adjustable because other manufacturers offer it. That's like me assuming my Chevy comes with Microsoft Sync because it's offered by Ford.

From there, it seemed the continually bashing began. He'd answer a question, "Yeah you need to replace the bolt. BTW Grand Design is a piece of ****."

We all understand frustrations, we get it when one is not happy. But once that has been voiced, there's no need to beat a dead horse. We get it, you're not happy with your purchase, but that's no reason to beat up people because they're happy with their's.

Guess it depends on how much money one paid for the unit and what appears to be, little to no support from his dealer and what also appears from all I read, ZERO customer relations from GD. If I'm wrong, then sorry. Untill proven differently from OPs story, no way could I recommend a GD 5er......and before I purchased the Jayco, GD is one I looked at.

I'd bash too and keep it up just due to all the stress and frustration of the situation,,,,,guess you'd have to walk a mile in the OPs shoes before you would understand his ranting,,,,,,you yourself have gone on and on about his ranting....you DONT have to read his post...block him and be done with it....he got kicked off the GD forum, so you can take solace in that and be happy once again....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I have to disagree with Scott about is the "Grand Design" cheerleaders. You can call it what you want, but those are people who are genuinely happy with their trailer and their service.

Additionally, you can go through the site and see there are owners who complain about certain issues, however, it's done tactfully.

Scott brought a great deal of information to the site, there's no two ways about it. He has a great deal of knowledge in the "RV world"

I think the issue came up with how the posts were done. Yes, he had some failures of equipment, but some of the faults were do to a failure to follow through on his purchase. The example I remember, and we discussed on the forum, was he assumed the awning was adjustable because other manufacturers offer it. That's like me assuming my Chevy comes with Microsoft Sync because it's offered by Ford.

From there, it seemed the continually bashing began. He'd answer a question, "Yeah you need to replace the bolt. BTW Grand Design is a piece of ****."

We all understand frustrations, we get it when one is not happy. But once that has been voiced, there's no need to beat a dead horse. We get it, you're not happy with your purchase, but that's no reason to beat up people because they're happy with their's.

MrHavasu
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about how they treated you before and after. Telling you your on your own now, what a crock of bs. And for those who think and those who say, Manufactures sites are not controlled or biased are also full of it. We were not born yesterday, I have seen what this guy has gone thru over and over again on single brand only sites.

Y-Guy
Some other news that just popped up for GD owners.

The installation of an underrated axle may lead to the recall and subsequent reinstallation of 1,721 Grand Design Reflection fifth wheels, according to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration.

The affected units were made with axles rated at 5,200 pounds, rather than the 6,000-pound rating listed on the certification label.

Grand Design will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the trailers and will replace any axle that is only rated to 5,200 pounds with an axle rated to 6,000 pounds. The recall is expected to begin Sept. 7. Owners may contact Grand Design customer service at 1-574-825-8000 ext. 2015. Grand Design’s number for this recall is 910004.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Justaguy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I read the entire thread and am just shaking my head. I have had totally different experience with Grand Design. Have I had some stuff fail? Yep! But ALL of it has been made by outside manufacturers. This is a list of stuff that has failed. Water service valves leaked, Fridge wouldn't auto switch from electric to gas, axle seals, exhaust fan lever broke, dining table rubbed the island. These failures did not happen all at once but over a period of time. At EVERY turn I would call GD and/or take the rig into the dealer where I bought it. All of the defects were replaced, repaired or adjusted. At one point we were in Amarillo, Texas on our way for a 2 month mountain states trip. GD called a local mobile repair guy who came out to fix the water valves. It was paid for by GD using THEIR CC #. (Those of you who know, mobile repair people almost NEVER take the company's cc #. They want you to pay and then you get reimbursed from GD.) Except for the kitchen island, everything else has been LCI stuff that failed. Not GD's fault. I don;t hear a whole lot of complaining about the **** that company puts out. GD and others need to hold LCI (Lippert) to a higher slandered. As far as my rig,in 18 months we have traveled over 20k miles and spent well over 200 nights in it - more than most but not as much as some. It has been solid and stable. It could all turn to **** tomorrow but so far - so great.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Hope everything works out. When I buy a new unit, I expect defects to be repaired.

Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

sc1camping
Explorer
Explorer
A update from original poster. Only after forwarding my original post to Grand Design (one being a upper executive) did I receive a reply from GD and Chris (cdtretta). I got a email today after almost 4 weeks from GD and Chris, AC will be paid for and membership will be refunded.
They did make it clear I am on my own from here out and Chris has made it clear non GD cheerleader types are not welcome at his or the Grand Design Owners Forum web site.
I think the real lesson for me and I hope others is don't put a lot of stock in some web sites. I have been a user of this sight for many years. I have been through several computer changes over the years and lost my old login.
I used it a lot in my selection of 2006 KZ New Vision. I ended up buying one based on input from posters on this sight and purchased from dealer recommended from one poster. The complete deal was a great experience and it was a great RV.
My big mistake was thinking that GD web site was unbiased info like this one. Looking back I can see the pattern of negative posters being discouraged, in fact in the early days of GD ownership I probably did it myself.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
NC work hard, we all wish the best for you.

chevman

Thanks Larry... I GOT to get better..I need to be moving around and working..Im tired, I'm sore , and it is a slow process getting use of ones limbs back after a stroke...thanks for your sentiment buddy

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
cdtretta wrote:
Jim,
No worries. Although I'm not necessarily a 'new member', I joined the site in 2006. I just haven't posted enough times for it to matter. I do enjoy your posts on Cummins Forum.
No harm, no foul.
Ct..

Ct, I apologize to you buddy, it was on me...As stated, I jumped and shouldn't have, no excuse...so again, thank you for forgiving me.

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

C130
Explorer
Explorer
First, I don't want to start any arguments or create any hard feelings towards anyone or any company. But, I don't agree with taking a personal message and posting it on another forum. There is no doubt two sides to every story. Anyone who has owned an RV also knows they all have their issues, some units much more than others, even if they are from the same manufacturer. I don't know the whole story so will refrain from any opinions but I do like to hear both the good and the bad of any product. I will add I contacted Grand Designs about a couple of questions and did hear back within a week. I have not heard back from one of our other top three choices.

It absolutely sucks to pay this much for a new RV and have major issues so I understand the frustration. I sincerely wish both parties could come to an agreement; no doubt it would greatly benefit both of them. I went through a similar issue on our brand new home we had built two years ago. It was a nightmare and probably took five years off my life. I'll be pissed about it until the day I die but trying to get over being screwed out of well over $20,000. Anyways, hope it gets resolved.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Sorry guys, Ill exit stage left right now and let it lay. I have no dog in this fight. You are correct. I called OP a troll till he backed what he said,and apologized to him. I thought the other new member came on rather " authoratively" so to speak... should have stayed out of this...I got bored...Im in re-hab due to a stroke I had last week and need to concentrate on that...dont need anymore stress right now:).

Sorry to all I offended...Im out

I don't think you offended anyone Jim. Just offering outside perspective. Sometimes I get overly fired up when something rubs me the wrong way too. 😉
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

cdtretta
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,
No worries. Although I'm not necessarily a 'new member', I joined the site in 2006. I just haven't posted enough times for it to matter. I do enjoy your posts on Cummins Forum.
No harm, no foul.
Ct..

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
NC work hard, we all wish the best for you.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guys, Ill exit stage left right now and let it lay. I have no dog in this fight. You are correct. I called OP a troll till he backed what he said,and apologized to him. I thought the other new member came on rather " authoratively" so to speak... should have stayed out of this...I got bored...Im in re-hab due to a stroke I had last week and need to concentrate on that...dont need anymore stress right now:).

Sorry to all I offended...Im out
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Chris, you may be something special on another forum, but here you're just a new member giving us input...nothing more, nothing less...We dont much care what we're hearing about the website, more concerned about what the dealer and GD DIDN'T do for sc1. So dont try to take over on RV.net....it ISN'T "YOUR" forum. Give your input and we're smart enough to glean what we've heard and make decisions from there.
Why the anger at Chris? He never purported to be "something special" and only defended the Grand Design forum because it was being maligned. As to your response that "we don't much care what we are hearing about the website" that sometimes isn't the case. There are people who might be influenced and stay away from a forum that could be very informative and helpful! GD forum has been a great resource for us and hopefully for others.