cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design Momentum , Think Twice Before BIG Mistake

sc1camping
Explorer
Explorer
I would think twice about Grand Design Momentum. I own one it has been camped in twice. So far I have replaced all grease seals and brakes shoes. GD response was a link to LCI were I could buy new parts. Awning upgrade, Kitchen faucet replacement, Rear toy hauler ramp repair to keep it from falling off. Five new tires.Garage lights replaced. Propane tank retainers replaced. Fuel filter added to gen set. Awning light replaced. Replaced DVD/stereo system. All of this was done out of my wallet. The last straw for me was when my main (center) 15K AC went out at 25 hours of use. We where out of town with 3 guest in RV. GD was of no help. I ended up getting the only Dometic certified installer in area to replace it. Cost to me
$ 900. I took the time and effort to bring old AC home. I contacted GD once we got home and offered to take it local dealer or whoever they wanted to look at it within 75 miles. That was 3 weeks ago never heard anything from them.
The Grand Design Owners Forum is tightly controlled for negative comments so don't get fooled like I did.
65 REPLIES 65

dedmiston
This is such a horrible thread. I was snoozing at the wheel when it got bumped this weekend. Let's shut this one down and you can start a new one if you have general questions about your PDI.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Y-Guy wrote:
Lantley wrote:
A very thorough PDI is the best way to avoid getting caught in a warranty nightmare

All of what you said is good info! I'll add one tweak. Doing your PDI before you sign the acceptance and loan (if any) paperwork is key. They will work hard to get things fixed to get the RV sold, but once you sign for it and own it then it's all about the warranty process.

Good point Y-guy. Once you sign and monies are transferred you are moved from priority service to the back of the line.
The sad part is we know an effective warranty system is possible.
We see it everyday in the auto industry.
Unfortunately the RV industry has not figured out how to cut the profit pie in a way that keeps everyone happy.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Y-Guy
Lantley wrote:
A very thorough PDI is the best way to avoid getting caught in a warranty nightmare

All of what you said is good info! I'll add one tweak. Doing your PDI before you sign the acceptance and loan (if any) paperwork is key. They will work hard to get things fixed to get the RV sold, but once you sign for it and own it then it's all about the warranty process.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Often dealerships are at the root of the problem. The dealer can also be the scapegoat as well.
The RV warranty system leaves a lot to be desired. There are lots of pitfalls, approvals and back and forth between dealer and manufacture. There are paperwork and payment issues that happen behind the scenes that ultimately leave the consumer holding the bag.
For the most part the RV warranty system is cumbersome and flawed and leaves a lot to be desired. These inherent flaws and pitfalls occur with all brands.
The good dealers find a way to take care of there customers, the mediocre to bad dealers are often caught in the manufacturers red tape,again leaving the consumer holding the bag.
As a consumer you must be progressive,diligent and willing to fix small issues yourself to expedite repairs.
A wise RV consumer avoids being caught at the mercy of the warranty policy. The entire warranty is generally inefficient and not what it should be.
A very thorough PDI is the best way to avoid getting caught in a warranty nightmare.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Phxpsd
Explorer
Explorer
We live in our Momentum 380TH. The dealer is the weak link. GD has taken care of us, sometimes it takes a little prodding from me, but at the end of the day, I don't think any other manufacturer takes care of their customers like GD. Its just frustrating that some things are not taken care of prior to delivery. We would buy a GD again.

ExCapeArtist
Explorer
Explorer
So curious to hear the reply. We are looking at GD's Momentum today. From what I've read everywhere from rv fb forums to youtube videos, the dealerships are the nicest people until you hand over your cash and then they don't want to know you or hear from you or see you. And if they do, they take their time servicing your rv, or make it worse, and often blame the manufacturer for the problems. Need to find a great reliable honest rv dealership in Texas but beginning to think they don't exist, like it's an oxymoron?! What is the best way to handle buying and getting your rv fixed? Buy from the dealer and can you then take it to the manufacturer for repairs? Thank you for any input--the good, the bad, and even the ugly--all really help!

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
There are other resources for learning about GD and getting support information. There is a group on Facebook, and the majority seem well pleased with the back end support they get after the sale. So do the majority at this site.

Are GD trailers perfect? No. We have had a few minor issues, and all of them have been taken care of. They really do support them after the sale, so I'm wondering if something else was at play here too.

The first job that I had out of high school was working for a gentleman that had a great business philosophy - the customer is always right unless the customer is absolutely or obnoxiously wrong, in which case he would tell the customer they were, and why, and cease all further business dealings with them.

I don't know what happened in this case, I can only speak to my experience and what I have observed from others. I'm happy with our Grand Design Momentum 385TH, expect many years of service from it, and will look at Grand Design if the day comes that we need a replacement trailer.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

sc1camping
Explorer
Explorer
I am over the pain of GD purchase. In the end it is a OK RV with many expensive problems. Some covered by GD. It is a long shot from the quality of my KZ Toy Hauler. If thinking about GD just be aware it is just another camper nothing special. Price accordingly.
GD has a very effective online team and people who are not supporters or cheerleaders are quickly eliminated and/or shut out. I would not put any creditably in GD owners form. Many posters don't even own a GD. They may be paid per post. Sight administrator and other owners get personal treatment that us regular folks will not. This is just my opinion. GD informed me politely after AC issue they were done, don't call them again. I have no bone in this fight camper is a 2014.
Hope this helps

C130
Explorer
Explorer
Every forum of every brand has upset people, some deserve it and some don't. I've been the upset person before so I understand how he feels though I have no idea what the whole story is. I handled conflicts with my airlines pilots for several years and there's always two sides to every story. I still think it was unprofessional that a PM was copied and pasted on another forum. Not that I really care, it's a public forum and obviously whatever we type can be published anywhere. I just think is was uncalled for and in poor taste. No hard feelings at all, just uncalled for but maybe he was using it to help his case.

I will say I spoke to a lot of Grand Design owners in June and all were very happy. Yes, some had issues like all RV owners but they were taken care of. As I've already stated I've contacted Grand Designs twice and twice I was able to get my questions answered.

Personally, I think the RV dealers are the biggest issue with about 90% of the complaints. My brother and sister in law are missing their planned Labor Day weekend trip due to their RV being in the shop again. It was supposed to be done but isn't and it's a well known brand with a great reputation. Their dealer sucks and I looked seriously at a toy hauler they had and asked about their service department. I was told 8 weeks to even look at an RV plus parts time if needed. They won't order anything until the RV is left at the dealer even if they know what they need. Dealers can cause the manufacturers a lot of grief. It's the reason I went with price over locality and saved me over $11,000 from my local dealers bottom price. If I have an issue I normally don't have 8-10 weeks to get it fixed. If that was the case I might as well not ever own an RV as my vacations would be ruined more than not.

Y-Guy

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
let....it... go....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
"nuff said" maybe referring to there is more to the story, but he doesn't want to be sucked in to the drama. However, I don't want to speak for momentum.

As far as being bitter to those who have issues, that's pretty much what the forum is for, those who have problems. I think when people turn, there's a level of attitude that attributed to that.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
Lantley wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I have heard nothing but good things concerning. Grand Designs. I have no dog in this fight I am a happy Open Range Owner, I have been impressed by the comments I have read from GD owners.
To the OP are you saying you have taken your rig in for warranty repairs and been constantly denied?
Is your rig still under warranty? Is GD telling you after the A/C reimbursement your cut off? Has your warranty expired?

Lantly, same here buddy, always good comments on GD 5ers. I even looked at them before opting for the Jayco and thought they were a quality unit. Got Jayco because very reputable dealer only 20 miles from my house.

As I stated earlier, I dont believe OP did his due diligence in getting warranty repairs done in a timely fashion, if at all.

I don't mean to doubt the OP but I feel like there must be more to the story.

There is... nuff said.

It certainly appears many have come to back GD, right, wrong or indifferent and in reality, it ISN'T,..."nuff said",or they wouldn't keep coming here to pick,,....most seem indifferent to the OP...hope all GD owners aren't this bitter towards one who had issues,,,,appears they will condemn and alienate one of their own,,,a forum that doesn't seem, "user friendly". so to speak, maybe to the point of being, "snobby".
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I have heard nothing but good things concerning. Grand Designs. I have no dog in this fight I am a happy Open Range Owner, I have been impressed by the comments I have read from GD owners.
To the OP are you saying you have taken your rig in for warranty repairs and been constantly denied?
Is your rig still under warranty? Is GD telling you after the A/C reimbursement your cut off? Has your warranty expired?

Lantly, same here buddy, always good comments on GD 5ers. I even looked at them before opting for the Jayco and thought they were a quality unit. Got Jayco because very reputable dealer only 20 miles from my house.

As I stated earlier, I dont believe OP did his due diligence in getting warranty repairs done in a timely fashion, if at all.

I don't mean to doubt the OP but I feel like there must be more to the story.

There is... nuff said.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat